Liver function

Hi ladies’
I was dx on sept09 with large tumour, so started chemo first to shrink it.
The fist fec started on 7 oct,and then i had a ct scan on the 12 oct.

The first two doses of fec were lower,i did’nt know this until i was on my third fec.i asked the chemo nurse why and she checked with the doctor who said it was because of liver function.Nobody told me even though i’d seen a doctor the day before.

When i saw the registrar i asked her and she said sometimes it can be medication which i was’nt taking.Then she mentioned something about (billirubin)and said somthing about it can go up and down in some people but they dont know why.How do they find liver mets blood test ,ct or symptoms.?can any help as i really feel confused.Lesleyx

Hi Lesley,when I had blood test before chemo my liver function test was raised,I had ct scan which showed a fatty liver.There can be many reasons for raised liver test.Was the ct scan you had of the liver,this would have shown any abnormalities.Maybe you can ask for another blood test to see if it is normal now.

Best wishes Mel xx

Hi melly,
Thankyou for you’re reply.My ct scan said there was no evidence of mets,and they said the third blood test was normal but i keep thinking that maybe it was normal because of the two lots of chemo i had beforehand.I know this sounds silly, but i’ve had to ask to get this information from doctors, like the ct scan i had to press for the results of that.I think the problem is ,is that i’m seeing different docors every time and when i go in their reading over my notes it just seems a bit rushed.Lesley

Hi Lesley,I can really understand how you are feeling.Do you have a good bc nurse?.I have two at my local hospital and can phone and arrange to see them anytime if I have any concerns.I think it would really help you if you could do this and sit down and go through everything that is concerning you.Sending you big (((hug))) Mel xx

P.S, you dont sound silly at all.xx :slight_smile:

Hello Lesley,

Exactly the same thing happened to my partner when she started FEC - late 2004. When we went for the first chemo her blood tests showed raised bilirubbin and so she was given a lower dose of chemo (since FEC can affet the liver). She then had ct and MRI scans which did not show any spread to the liver. The onc said that raised bilirubbin was a problem in some people -and some people have Gilbert’s Syndrome where bilirubbin levels go up in times of stress (I think you could call this a stressful time!!). By about the third chemo her levels had gone down and she was given the full dose. Over the years her levels have shown as higher at times but then again go back to normal -so I think it is just one of those things.

Good luck with the rest of the treatment.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
Thankyou very ,very much i thought i was the only one who had this problem… Thank goodness for this forum. Lesleyxx

Hi ladies
I didn’t realise I had Gilbert’s syndrome until I went for blood tests pre-FEC - had never heard of it and my GP told me to eat a fatty breakfast before all my blood tests/treatments to get the Bilirubin levels down a bit so they could use the right dose of FEC. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one too!
Bev

Hi Ladies,
It is nice to know i’m not the only one with gilberts syndrome, i was dx with it many years ago, one of my brothers has it also and they said it was genetic but not to worry as it is not life threatening. Years later when i was having chemo beg 2008 after my 3rd epi they thought i had mets in liver and was sent for liver scan, it was clear i had never mentioned the gilberts as i had completely forgot about it but they said my liver was in danger of being badly damaged by the chemo and it was only when one of the onc mentioned bilirubin i remembered and told them about it, i have to say they were very relieved and i did manage to finish all my chemo although a bit later.
Gilberts causes your liver to function very slowly so it has hardly any time to rid itself of one chemo before another starts and of course with the stress thing it can cause some bother.
Love reneex