Liver mets and taxol

Hi all

I’m currently taking taxol (3rd one tomorrow!) after cape stopped working. Has anyone out there had liver mets and seen any reduction with taxol? I’ve heard it called the gold standard of chemo but if it doesn’t work what’s next???
Anyway any inspiring stories welcome!
Jo xx

Hi Jo
Just bumping this up for you and don’t forget our helpliners are on hand with further support on 0808 800 6000, so please feel free to call and talk things through

Weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Jo,

I haven’t had taxol but did have taxotere last year which didn’t help much. Have since had vinorelbine which worked well on my liver. Taxol could work really well for you but don’t despair if it doesn’t as there are plenty of treatments out there.

Wishing you well.

Love Sheila. Xx

Hi my mother is on 18 weeks of taxol and has had good results with liver bloods coming down from 1800 to 285 but then they went up slightly but are back down to 195 at the moment. Just wondering if anyone else has had a slight rise in numbers but then a drop again and if this is the norm ? Thanks for any advise x

Hi

Thanks ladies for your replies. Just had third one today. Don’t have any symptoms apart from SE’s from taxol. It’s really interesting about the tumour markers. I know that my hospital does take these readings but they never tell me what they are apart from saying that they are normal and have said that they never would use them to judge the disease as they are so unpredictable yet a lot of oncs seem to do this.
Sheila. - thank you. I’m hoping there’s lots of treatments need to stay around for a few years yet!
Hugs jo xx

My mams oncologist sayes the liver bloods are more informative than the scans so I guess they all work differently but as long as we get the results we want then that’s the main thing isn’t it. Hope your baring up ok on the taxol xx

Hi Jo my mum is being treated at singleton hospital in Swansea. Where are you being treated ? My mum is 63. I’m 31 with a daughter of 8, a son of 2 and a baby daughter of 9 weeks. How does your children cope with this or don’t they know anything. My mums liver was a mess she had terrible jaundice too, the oncologist said after a meeting last month that she was almost to ill to treat xxx

Reading your story just makes me realise how lucky I am to have made it to 31 without my mum being ill, your children are amazing to go through this at they’re ages, you should be so so proud of them. I have asked my brother to ask for something to make my mum sleep but she isn’t awilling to take anything and I value my own life to much to suggest anti depressants to her. When I approach the subject she just sayes that she isn’t going to take anything to make her liver work any harder than it needs to by flushing out anything extra she takes. How long have you been dealing with this illness ? I know my mum is suffering with this illness but my dad is suffering just like your husband did to before you got the councillor but she really won’t speak to anyone and sayes its only her that can sort her head out. I feel like me and my mum have switched rolls and now I’m the one looking after her which is fine but she has alway been the one to look after everyone and the rock that holds us altogether. Thank you for replying to my messages and reading my rants xxx

Hi geordiex, hope all is well with you. My mum is on 18 weeks of taxol, having her 13th this week and is having a scan on Wednesday and hopefully results on the 10th at her oncology appointment. I read you had good results on taxol, what was you regime? And for how long was you on it for xx

My mum had terrible side effects at the beginning but is fine now but is very down the Saturday and Sunday after she’s had the taxol on the Thursday. Heceptin hasn’t been added to my mums so im guessing she isn’t HER2+, seems to be the best thing to be as everyone seems to do well on that for years. We don’t know the next step yet, the original bc was in October 2011 and it was hormone receptive but my mum was on letrozole since April 2012 but that obviously gave up in the end to have got as I’ll as she did in December just gone xxx

Thanks great news that your treatment is going good. My mums liver bloods were over 1800 when she went into hospital in December, the Drs said she was only a few days away from where she was too ill to treat but lucky enough they did and she is getting good results with the taxol alone with bloods down to 195 now xxx

Morning all, scan day today for my mum, I hope anyone with scans, results etc get the news they want. Fingers crossed to you all
Love Sian
Xxx

Thanks roxy12, I do try to be supportive but my mum really isn’t in a good mind set at the moment she is really struggling awake all night worrying too. My poor dad is exhausted. Thanks belinda too.
Love sian
Xxx

Afternoon all, hope everyone had a good weekend, horrible day in Neath today. Good luck to all with results, scans and treatments new and old this week. My mum onc appointment 3.45 tomorrow hopefully with last weeks scan results too xxx