67.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liver mets suspected did you get biopsy when diagnosed?

17 REPLIES 17
powerjen

Re: Liver mets suspected did you get biopsy when diagnosed?

Hi belinda,
Thanks yes in all I waited nearly 5 months,
Sarah
Hope you get some answers soon
Xx

sarah_ldc

Thanks powerjen . I am going back down the gynaecologist route I think. I am not responding to any ibs meds so see what they have to say. Probably be a few months before I get appointment and results. Got oncology appointment soon so bloods should show any concerns. Sarah.
belinda

That's really good news powerjen. I'm really pleased for you, I've read some of your posts and you've been waiting SO long to get these results. x

powerjen

Hi Sarah,
Got result today, radiologist read MRI and thinks it is hemangiomas he recommends rescan in 3 months, other radiologist is sure it is benign and would not bother with follow up scan , so good news I think, bloating must be ibs , pain must have been ibs and or gallstones
So indebted to people on here xx

sarah_ldc

Hi Powerjen this is my second attempt to post so will be brief! Between bc and sbc diagnoses I have also had bloating problem. IBS treatment not working. Now going to gynaecologist . Can't help wondering if it is linked to liver or bone secondaries. Let me know how you go on, I've had this for 2 years now. S x
sarah_ldc

Hi powerjen I read your comments with interest esp the bloating problem you have. I had bc in 2010, then secondary in bone and liver diagnosed 2012. For the last couple of years I've been trying to get abd bloating investigated, but now instead of it coming and going it is just not going away. It pre-dates the abc medication I'm on. My dr. Has tried numerous ibs pills on me. Next is to try gynaecologist again, which is where I was when MRI picked up bone mets. They found fibroids and ovarian cysts but because of problem with my spine that took priority for treatment. So now I'm back to square 1. So I'd be interested to know if the bloating is linked to the cancer (which is always in the back of my mind) or not. Perhaps your bloating problem is also coincidence. Let me know if anything develops with that as I don't seem to be getting anywhere .
powerjen

Had ct today now awaiting results, if this is not conclusive next step is MRI of liver , possible biopsy or waiting to see if the lesion grows!!!!! Not keen on that idea x

powerjen

Hi folks,
Horsie
You are right nothing is definite yet but i have had so much bad luck i find it hard to be positive. It is good to hear how well you have done, that gives hope for others . I have had abdo pain and bloating for a while which i put down to IBS, i have just found out i have some big gall stones so who knows what is causing these symptoms.I guess the the CT will show what is happening.
Geordie x
I have been told the lesion is in the left lobe,
SPO
Hello again x i understand now why biopsy is not routinely done if it can seed cancer cells, thanks for sharing this info
Nicky
Glad your treatment is working, thanks for clarifying the changes that can happen in receptors, lemongrove is amazing, so knowledgable

love to all xx

geordiex

I also had ultrasound and CT scan x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi
Just adding my experience to this thread, which I'd not seen earlier. My primary and initial secondary dx (of bone mets and local recurrence) showed I was ER and PR +ve but HER -ve. After having bone mets for 5 years a CT scan showed further progression as well as lesions in my liver. I asked for a biospsy as I had read on here the stats that up to 30% of tumours can change their receptor status (thank you Lemongrove for highlighting this to us all). The biopsy was very uncomfortable as horsie5050 said but I wasnt in agony, just achey for a few days after. The biopsy proved that I was now HER+ve, as well as retaining my hormone +ve status, well worth checking as I'm sure I would have been put on a hormone treatment rather than chemo, which I'm now on (capecitabine). Due to other health problems I can't as yet have Herceptin, which I obviously need, however up to the last scan the chemo is working. I also agree that the liver is capable of recovery once the appropriate treatment is given and many ladies on here have had results of NED (no evidence of disease) once the initial treatment has finished. BTW I was told that if you are HER+ with primary this status won't change however a primary of HER- can change to HER+
Nicky

geordiex

I think for symptoms it depends where the tumours are in your liver x

SP0

Hello again powerjen,
I too didn't have a liver biopsy - my onc said risks (spreading cancerous cells) outweighed the benefits. Instead it was assumed to be cancer with the same homonal & Her2 status as my primary. I was re-scanned after the 4th cycle to see progress, after which they'd have changed tack if it hadn't shifted.
Not sure if you are aware but there are some surgical options for bc liver mets too. Radio-frequency ablation can be used on any stubborn patches that don't respond to chemo, but they will want to try the chemical routes first.
Btw, agree with horsie about the liver's amazing capabilities. I never noticed any symptoms and my function tests stayed normal too.
S.x
geordiex

I did'nt have a biopsy was assumed it was her 2 as primaries had been ,I also have cysts as well I was diagnosed in March after feeling very tired and blood tests howed alp very raised it reached 2000 at its highest and is now normal range at 94 xx

horsie5050

sweetheart, you are not going to die soon! The liver is fabulously clever at working properly when we have tumours in it. I have 5 tumours, 2 the size of tangerines and my liver function tests are all normal. I carry on my day-to-day life and just get on with it. I was diagnosed in November 2010 and although have low points I am ok and doing well. I have been on back-to-back chemo now for 16 months and am fine... but - you may only have cytsts so you are worrtying about something that hasn't even happened yet!
good luck!xxxxxx

powerjen

Thanks for replying,
Sounds like a biopsy is a nightmare, my worry would be getting treatment that is not going to help if the cancer has changed from er and her2 + hopefully the ct scan will be definitive. I am having a bit of a meltdown, worrying that I am going to die soon , so hard to take this in, xx

horsie5050

Yes, your BC nurse is correct. no point nin doing a biopsy just yet. see if it responds to treatment...if it shrinks it's a tumour responding to chemo, if it grows is a tumour not responding, if it stays the same it may be a cyst...you are correct a biopsy will tell them if hormone receptor has changed..BUT....I had one done......It's more painful than you can ever imagine, you have to lie in a hospital bed for 6 hours after ( to make sure you don't bleed) and you are soooo sore for weeks. It is nothing like the breast biospy! I would have rather given birth.... If the "cyst" doesn't respond to different treaments then think about biopsy - do not go into it light-heartedly..... good luck!xxx

powerjen

Sorry meant to add that bcn says if ct is not conclusive they will treat for a few months then rescan, is that right?

powerjen

Liver mets suspected did you get biopsy when diagnosed?

Hi folks,
I have had an ultrasound which showed a lesion that looked suspicious, on breast MRI it looked like a cyst, now awaiting ct scan. Can I ask what tests you had to diagnose mets on liver and did you get biopsy to see if the cancer had not changed it's status as I believe that can happen. If ct confirms mets what should I ask the onc?
Thanks to you wonderful people for all the advice
Xx