Liver mets

Hello
I was diagnosed with bone mets around a year ago and last week was told I now have liver mets. I am usually very positive but since my diagnosis last week have been in despair. I think of nothing else and it is making me miserable. I function normally in company but when on my own I am a wreck. I am doing all the things I need to in a day so life appears normal but it is all done with “what’s the point” going on in my head. I can’t find my usual self.
I am about to start treatment via the furva trial (Fulvestrant and a trial drug) but again in my head is “is this going to be a futile exercise”
How have ladies in a similar position got yourselves out of this ‘depressed’ state?

Hi vonnie
So sorry to find you in such a state but I know exactly what you are feeling like as I experienced the same two years ago. I had originally been diagnosed with bone mets in 2008 and done very well on my treatment, 1st chemo and then hormone treatment. It came as a huge shock to both me and my oncologist that I then had a diagnosis of liver mets. I also went very close to clinical depression and I know what it’s like having had post natal depression twice! I think it was me having to adjust to the new timescales of my lifetime, not anything any of us wants to to. I had thought I would ‘just’ have bone mets for years and be pretty much OK but the liver mets diagnosis was another ball game altogether. What didn’t help me was that I couldn’t have the Herceptin treatment I now needed as my heart function was so poor following on from the original chemo causing damage to my heart. Anyway I started on Capecitabine and when that was shown to be failing, after some 18 months, and something I had expected, I was able to go onto Herceptin treatment as my heart problems had also been sorted with a huge effort from an expert cardiologist in London. I finished the latest lot of chemo in December and whereas I felt I would die back in 2013 I have been doing remarkably well (touching wood right now!) I have been on some lovely holidays abroad and generally got back on with my life. However in the back of my mind I do know that my life is shortened considerably now and it was a painful time back in 2013 having to personally accept this and then tell all my family members and close friends that this was so. Give yourself time to adjust, see how the new treatment works for you, they will monitor you very closely and know that other treatments are still out there should it not work well. I will bump up some of the liver mets threads so you can have a read and see how some of us cope, they have gone a bit quiet recently but I think that’s due to a lot of us posting on the bone mets thread as most of us have those as well.
Take care and keep in touch for support and advice, we’re here to help you.
Nicky x

Hi Vonnie

I am sorry to read that you are having a difficult time at the moment, as Nicky has kindly mentioned, our helpliners are on hand for you with support and a listening ear if you feel it would help to talk on a one to one basis and share your fears. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to further BCC secondary support you are welcome to access :

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/local-support/living-secondary-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Exactly…exactly!!! The only way I have coped is there are tons of people walking around with undiagnosed cancer…we happen to know and are on top if it and I could walk in front of a bus tomorrow as could have happened at any point in my life. No one is promised tomorrow. Throughout my 13 years of this disease I have lost many friends to many other things they never planned on. So we just have to live for today as we always should have before cancer. I just got home from Dr. Liver and bone mets progressing. Ugh. Starting Halavan. Many of the drugs I have taken did not exist 13 years ago. We need to hang on for the miracle drug!

I am also starting Fulvestrant and a trail drug next week. I have liver Mets and a small tumour in my spine.
I am very frightened too. How are you coping with the side effects?
Debra. xx

Hello all you lovely ladies,

My primary was diagnosed originally in 2012 and after almost two years clear (or apparentlyclear) I was diagnosed with liver mets in Feb 2015. I apparently have a tiny nodule in one of my lungs.

It was such a relief to read about how ppeople feel, because up until last week I dont think i had ever truely accepted of acknowledged the seriousness of this cancer. It now seems to have hit me full tilt and I am having panic attacks, feelings of despair and depression, and just generallystruggling to come to terms with it all.

Knowing that I am not the only one has been very helpful because I was feeling so lonely and isolated. So a big thank you to all of you, and best wishes…

Penny

Hi… Gillg78. I too have just been diagnosed with liver and lung Mets. It’s all new and I’m terrified. Got to have biopsy Thursday to check the breast cancer hasn’t changed characteristics from when I had it six years ago. Then the oncologist said she will decide what treatment I start. It’s an awful time be cause you sleep and get a little respite but when you wake up its like a black hole envelope you. Can I ask has anyone with my diagnosis had pain in the liver area travelling to the shoulder. It’s kept me awake all night. I am so pleased I have come across this forum. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi all, I have been looking for a thread on here regarding liver cysts, or the pain that I’m getting in that area again recently to the point where I think I need to ask for help or checking it out. A year ago I had Ultrasound on abdomen, followed by CT Scan. That showed several Liver Cysts but they didnt seem to think anything of them. Also they saw something in the lumbar spine that presented as degenerative disease, which has shown up in my right knee now and they’re going to operate on it. I’m getting a bit concerned that my liver cysts (?) Are giving me some grief again, nauseous at times, pain from back to front and up under my right ribs that makes me wince and a blah feeling. Is it better to go via the gp or bcn? Cheers, Michele ? 

Hi all

has anyone been on Eribulin?  I am about to start it, I had lung mets, which they first treated with Epirubicin, then Paclitaxsol, as the Epirubicin didnt work.  Paclitaxol helped the lung, but it appeared in liver.  They tried hormone treatment for a while but this didnt work, so am about to start Eribulin (Havalon) as liver mets now bigger and beginning to appear in lungs again.  Grateful to know if anybody has any experience?

Many thanks - Sandra

Hi Vonnie b

I have just been diagnosed with  bone and lung mets,   I have been for tests today to see if  I can go on the fulvestrant trial, I was ok, but got home and  I think it has hit me, where  I am on this cancer line, and  I do not like it one bit. I feel cheated of life , I feel great ,work  3 days a week and  I am/ was  enjoyinglife.

The thought of telling my children is so stressful and unfair on them,it is a very cruel disease, so many lives being thrown away. i am going to have a good cry for everyone now, and then pour a glass of red and hope tomorrow will be better

love to all x

Hi all

Was after some advice from you lovely ladies.

I have just had my first round of FECT and am due to have Six months followed by rads.

I had a mx in Feb and it showed a it of lymph node involvement.

I had a PET scan feedback just after chemo and it has flagged up a very suspicious area in my liver…and also possibly vocal cords but they don’t think its linked)

Is there anything that people are aware of or have had linked to liver Mets that I could be asking for in the middle of all of the rest of these drugs that would it it all as hard as possible all at the same time

It has all been a huge shock and I am keep for an aggressive attack on it, but am not sure what I should be asking for!!

Tia xxxx

Hi Nicky

Thank you for your answer… that’s really put my mind at ease.

Am happy now to focus on getting through the next 6 months of this and will definitely ask for a mid way through and an end scan too.

Thank you so much xxx

Leo

Hiya Maria
Hopefully Nicky will pick up on your query soon but you have had a lot of chemo …fec is a strong one and u have done well to get through five . Hopefully the sixth one will happen quickly and then u can let your body recover.
Everyone’s dosage is different …some have three FEC and then change to a different chemo like taxol or similar.
Chin up …it will be ending soon.
Hugs xx

Hi Julie-L
How are you coping? I have extensive liver mets and saw you have a small amount so I wondered if you are feeling more calmer ? Hope to hear from you Debs x

Hi Lilypin…how are you doing with your liver mets??? Love debbie xx

Hi Lilly pin and Debs
I’m ok thanks. I paid for sirt treatment on my liver in December as none of the treatments I’d had over the previous 12m had worked. This did work with mets reduced by 2/3rds & im now on cape 4th cycle but SEs have been hard & im on a much lower dose now so just hoping it’s working !
How are you both getting on?
Julie

Hi guys, I feel like I am on a roller coaster confiedent at times than lost thinking I wont bet this.

I am currentley on Tamaxifen and Zoldex injections as my tumor is er/pr+ her-.

The last scans showed the the turmors were stable. 

Hello Lillypin I had to go in hospital with my s e Hoping they with reduce my chemo as s e have been bad like you.My 1st scan since starting new plan is on Monday grrrrrrrr then the long wait.I can’t sleep now so I will see .big hugs Deb xxxx