Liver scan

Hi I was diagnosed last year with grade 3 IDC while having radiotherapy I had a CT scan which showed some lung nodules and I have just had a follow up CT scan for these. The lung nodules haven’t changed and look fine but they have found a hypodense area on my liver so I need to have an MRI. I am absolutely terrified I am claustrophobic and I have heard I will need an injection before going into the scanner which really scars me, I was ok with the CT and the injection that makes you feel like you have wet yourself. It’s the closed in tunnel and the fear of a reaction to the injection that is filling me with fear. If they find it is a BC Met what do they do for livers? 

Hello Kim and welcome to out family of help and kindness.
I don’t have any experience of mri scans yet but I’m sure other ladies here will be able to reassure you and also advice with the liver Mets .
Anyway there are lots of interesting threads here that might help you through your anxiety in the meantime …
Carolyn xxx

Hi Kimucoughdrop, I had a MRI early last year and was worried about it as I don’t like small spaces but my letter said that i could take a CD to be played during the scan.  I took along a favourite CD and during the scan,  which is quite noisy, I kept my eyes shut and sang along with the CD.

I was recently diagnosed with SBC myself after 12 years since my initial diagnosis, with it confirmed in the lymph nodes in my neck and chest, I get the results of other tests and scans on Wednesday.  It’s scary when it returns but when you read the posts from other ladies who have lived with SBC for years it is reassuring. I hope everything goes ok with your scan and the results aren’t as bad as you fear, but if they are there are lots of people hear who are on the same journey who can help and advise.

Hugs Sandra

Hi Kim, please tell the staff that you are scared of the MRI.in my experience they are very kind and will help you to cope with it.you have a buzzer to press and they can speak to you…take a cd you like although you can’t always hear it clearly.

i haven’t had a problem with the injection-it was just like the ct one.

for my numerous liver mets I have had 6 x fec chemotherapy and now on letrozole as my cancer is oestrogen positive.

i hope your scan goes ok and the results are good for you 

take care didi 

Hi Kim, i too am a bit claustrophobic and dread mri’s but i have got through them. I always get the chemo nurses to do my cannula (i have non existent veins and they are more experienced)  the contrast dye isnt an issue as its just fed through the cannula. The machine is noisy but the nurses are very sympathetic…if you have to use your buzzer, do it, dont suffer. Pick some nice music and try and relax…i keep my eyes tightly shut as soon as i’m on the table and try to imagine i’m sunbathing. Last time i went the cd player had broken so i had no music to take my mind off it but i got through it by reminding myself it is in my best interests. You will be fine, i know. Let us know how you get on. XX

I had my scan yesterday and I was a disaster but I did it. I shook the whole time and then half way through I pressed the button and said I can’t do it, they came in and talked me into staying in. But to be honest it’s been worse since the scan I am so so scared about the results. Last night I had a panic attack and the whole room was spinning. I have basically decided that I do not long for this world. Has anyone else just had liver mets? 

Kim xx

I have had lots of scans it’s so quick the machine tell you to hold your breath and breave and yes it does feel like you want to go to the toilet but you don’t. The injection is just like putting a cannular in doesn’t hurt and I have even fell asleep once on it it’s not that claustrophobic I was as scared as you before I had it you will be fine