Living Alone

Is there anyone on the forum who lives alone while facing BC? I was diagonsed Jan 15. Had surgery and just about to start Rads and tamoxifen. I’m on the end of treatment and it feels i can smile :slight_smile: Hardest bit was facing this alone. Would like to share with anyone facing this alone too to reassure them. Worst bit is first diagnosis and waiting for surgery.

My heart really does go out to ladies like me facing BC alone xxxx

Hi dizzydee,

I am waiting for my op on 11/6, will then have Rads and then anit-hormone meds (havent been told name of med).  I do not live alone but I think most women with bc will agree that although you can be surrounded by family, colleagues and friends you can still feel alone.  I have found writing on the forum and speaking to people who have had bc to be most comforting.  Nobody else really knows what you are going through although they do their best to say the right things.  I hope you are able to keep busy and get out side for walks and fresh air, since diagnosis I have found this to be the best way to cope with my anxieties and fear.

Let me know how you get on with Rads.

Best wishes

Sandra

Thanks SARN. I had WLE in March. You keep your chin up girl too. I found that after surgery things got easier. I really hope your surgery goes well. I’ll be 1/2 way through Rads by then. Do let me know how you get on. And ur r so right about whatever ur situation you do feel alone. Us ladies on here make us feel like we dont have to face this alone. Really appreciate u replying. Am at hospital today to find put results from CT and whole body bone scan. Fingers crossed xxx

Hi Dizzy Dee,

Like you im on my own, Im single never married no kids, no siblings, my lovely parents both dead  2 cousins,one lives 30 miles away one in Spain, neither have  been very helpful, hardly rang to see if ok even dont say much on facebook.  Friends have been much better, all my main appointments ive had someone with me, spent first night after op round ones and even some of my rads if they can have come with me.And even friends who dont live near have contracted regularly, much more than my family.  But it still pretty hard to be on own as you often are with your thoughts, My oldest friend from schooldays was diagnosed with ovarian cancer same time as i was with breast and she says she dosent know how shed have coped without her husband, and admires me for doing it on my own. She in spite of her own illness has been a great comfort to me too bless her Shes not had to have chemo either and seems like me to be getting on ok. 

I often find being partnerless difficult anyway, i wasnt used to living alone, i lived with my parents then my darling dad till he went into care, he didnt wantr me to be responsible for him, and hes sicne died. at 98.I still find it hard sometimes, someone in your life would be lovely worse when retired as i reluctantly am, work meant a great deal to me i wanted to stay on, my company had other ideas, I sit my friends dog, she still works at my old company, and hes lovely but still a special person in your life would be nice, and it would help im sure, also paying the bills on one income not so easy,  even with a small extra pension.  June

Right Catchpole,

Us living alone ladies should stick together i’ve never married no kids too. Sending you a massive hug we’ll get through this together!! Xxx We’ll all be there for each other. Do or any others here live in London?

Dee x

June

I really relate to you its so tough living alone with this. Really related to your comment that friends with you for hospital appointments but its tough going back to an empty house. I know exactly what u mean. I’m 44 and still work amd I do think that helps. Well all i can say is i’m here for you. Thanks for the post it really touched me to know someone feels like I do.

Thanks xxx

Hi June,

I like your style and attitude. 60 is not old so you go girl. As for ‘dating sites’ tried one or two but not really for me.

I lost both of my parents quite some time ago so I think that adds to the loneliness when ur having a bad day. I think us ladies on here should organise a day out. Norwich or London. I’m up for it Jane when u feel ready. I’ve been asked to be involved with a new breast cancer group for women at the Royal Marsden in Chelsea. Up the road they have a centre called The Haven which offers complemtary massages, etc for BC ladies like us. Alternatively we could always go talent spotting in Chelsea, the men are rich there!!! Sending you a hug xx

I agree June right its a date. How about lunch so we can have a good old natter and then London is your oyster! If its a nice day we could do some touristy things. Have a think and get back to me. When do u finish rads? I’m end of June 22nd or 26th x

Thats great June youname the day and look forward to welcoming you to London. Hope your having a good bank holiday xxx

Yes me too i live alone but luckily have very supportive friends and family, however when being told that i had bc i had an overwhelming feeling of isolation fear and lonliness it was soo horrible and unbearable, your right !!as soon as treatment and plans are put in place you start to feel better – i have had a lumpectomy pathology report was all clear going for ct scan this thursday to get organised for 3 weeks of rads - hope you are ok look forward to hearing from you  Annettexxxx

Hi Annette, Welcome:-)
Us ladies living alone shouldstick together. Know what u mean about the isolation! I’ve just had Day 3 of rads. Where do u live Annette?