Lobular surgery this week

Hi Everyone,

So the long wait is nearly over. It’s becoming real now. My surgeon was kind enough to phone and talk through why options have changed from his first consultation (although he was honest about the difficulties with lobular). This is my new plan:

Thursday

• No food after 7:30am

• 8:30 Southampton Nuclear medicine dep. for radioactive dye (about 2hrs they reckon)

• 11.00 Winchester ultra-sound with or without guide wire insertion

• 12.00 Report to ward don’t  know where I am on the list

• Surgery Wide Local Excism and OSNA on sentinal lymph lobes

• Hopefully home that day CHOCOLATE!!!

Some days after - will find out if they got clear margins (if not they will have me back in within a month for more) and results of lymph nodes (may need chemo)

• Radiotherapy

• Hormone treatment

I’m a bit worried that I can’t take Ibuprofen or Asprin - only parecetamol.

Biggest fear: I’ll end up having a mastectomy any way.

We can only put our trust in the experts; which I do.

Best wishes to you all whether your just diagnosed; having the surgery or through it.

Any tips for the big day and beyond welcome!!!

Jak60

Hi jak
I had the same surgery as you, back in July.
A couple of things…i wasn’t allow water either after 7.30, so maybe check that too.
I found that it was quite painful for two days after, so it’s important to take the painkillers regularly. I needed co codamal and ibroprofen during this time. Don’t wait til it becomes sore, take them regularly. My surgery ended up being more invasive than was expected as they had to detach the nipple and sew it back again! so this was particularly tender.
Having said that, after that it settled down pretty quickly and was fine after 2 weeks. During that time, I remember the hardest part was not being able to wash properly! I ended up having a shallow bath because you have to keep the area dry and then my daughter washing my hair over the bath!
The nurse will probably give you a leaflet on exercises after to help movement back on that side. I would say they are important to do, but don’t worry about doing them straight away,as you probably won’t want to move your arm for awhile.
I hope this is useful and that all goes well for you next week x