cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local recurrence 1 year after treatment

23 REPLIES 23
Lulu34

Re: Local recurrence 1 year after treatment

glad your PET was normal bigfoot... hope all goes well with the zoladex and letrozole.

Lxxx
26bigfoot

Forgot to say, no chemo or radiotherapy.......:)
26bigfoot

Phew, pet scan all clear:)
Just had first injection of zolodex and have letrozole to take now.
Regular scans and appointments with oncologist and breast surgeon.

First week back at work after a month off, must say feeling physically and mentally knackered today, my day off!
Can I just say this sight is invaluable.
thank you xx
Bigfoot xxxx
Lulu34

Its unlikely they will give radiotherapy in the same place twice.... Mine never seems to keep still si have had radiation 3 now and a total of 70 sessions. Hope everything is straightforward for you now x
26bigfoot

Hi
Forgot to add, after 1 1/2 years of no periods and thinking I was going through the menopause my periods started the week of new year! I think it's because my oncologist had told me to stop taking tamoxifen! 🙂 oh happy days 🙂
26bigfoot

Hi lulu
Thank you for the message.
I had my operation on the 2 January to remove the tumour. Results last week, the tumour as confirmed by biopsy was a local recurrence, the surgeon also took a lymphnode nearby which was clear.
The cyst on the liver was confirmed as a hemangioma - like a birth mark, so nothing to worry about.
I am seeing the oncologist on Friday and awaiting a PET scan. I have a lymph node on my internal breast mammary that has shown up in my ct scan hence further need for pet scan.
I thought I would have a look on this site to see what treatment people may have had. As I am not sure if I can have radiotherapy again.
So trying not to think too much about Friday,daughter still stroppy with me! Hopefully when we know what the plans are she will be better.

Xxx
Lulu34

Hi bigfoot

Just wondering how things are going for you now?

Hugs xx
26bigfoot

Hospital appointment today.....All a bit **bleep**ty:-(
Ct scan showed up suspicous lymphnode on internal mammory probably need chemo. Also showed nodules on lung not too worried will need repeat ct in 4 months.
Cyst on liver will have ultrasound of liver.bone scan looks ok apart from hotspot lower left leg.had another xray
Appt to see plastic surgeon next wed.
Talked about op including reconstruction before xmas told them we have trip to london with kids booked for boxing day will do it after xmas!:-)
Let the fight begin x
ChristineP

Hi Bigfoot,

I had chemo, mx and radiotherapy followed by tamoxifen for the first bc, then for the second one I had mx of the other side, and radiotherapy, oopherectomy and then moved to letrozole. The good news is that my last ct scan showed no problems :-). So I am well, and felling well.

After the 2nd diagnosis, I felt rotten, numbed and like you not believing this was happening. Like having entered a parallel universe. As soon as the mx date was known and I knew I was to have radiotherapy, I was a little bit happier. At least I knew what was going on a little bit.

I am now two years on from the second diagnosis, and have had no further problems, and I am starting to feel more like I have re-entered a world of normality.

Jo - thank you for providing the link - this leaflet is really good.

Christine

Jo_BCC

HI Bigfoot,

Here's the link to BCC's publication Breast Cancer and your child's school

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-your-child-s-...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

26bigfoot

Hi Christine,
I hope you are well now, may I ask what treatment you had and how you felt before you had all your results.
I don't think it's really happening at the moment.

Can you direct me to the form for me to use for school, I haven't quite found my way round this site yet.

Bigfoot xx
ChristineP

Hi Bigfoot,
Just wanted to say hello and send you a big hug.
It's just rotten when you are having to deal with more of this bc stuff again and so soon. I had a second primary within a year of finishing my first lot of treatment. No fun. Once you have your new plan in place for dealing with your recurrence things should get a little easier, I hope.

On helping your daughter - have you been in touch with her school? They may be able to support her too. Or just keep an eye on how she is doing. There is a form on this bcc site which you can fill in to inform the school - it has some very useful tips too. Your daughter will probably have had lessons about cancer in her biology curriculum - which may help her understand treatment etc.

Big hug
Christine

Lucy_BCC

Hi Bigfoot

There is some information here about talking to children about breast cancer which may be helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/relationships-fami...

Take care
Lucy BCC

26bigfoot

Hi lulu,
Thank you for message, no Maggie's centre near us. I have a wonderful gp who I saw yesterday and has said I can phone at any time if my daughter wants to speak to some one. My bc nurse is also very supportive too.
I know last year she got quite angry with me after the diagnosis but that soon went.

CT went well, apart from not eating for so long I felt quite dizzy.....good excuse for some chocolate.
Managed to sleep for about 12 hours last night!

Thanks again for your support.

Bigfoor
Lulu34

Bigfoot sorry your daughter is struggling... Im not much help on that front as my daughter barely registered the fact i had BC again... Both my kids actually just get on with it as its been such a big part of our life... They get upset at diagnosis but then just settle down and get on with life. Hope your daughter gets some help.... Do you have a maggies centre near you? They have support for families as well as cancer patients and she might find that helpful.

Hope your CT scan went ok... When do you get your results? Keeping my fingers crossed its all ok

Lulu x
26bigfoot

Forgot to add my daughter turned 17 yesterday, and she is really struggling. She is very tearful but finding it hard to express her feelings. Any help/tips greatly appreciated
26bigfoot

Thank for the replies, am still getting used to using it.
Ct scan today, not too pleased that I can't eat for 4 hours before 😞 am a grazer!
My son came home from uni with his girlfriend last night and the 3 of us were going out for lunch. He wanted me to get to know her:)
Oh well will have to go out after, am trying to keep myself busy but had to come home from work at lunchtime as had a really bad headache.
Managed 3 hours sleep and now awake feeling anxious.

I think you are all amazing.

Xx 26bigfoot
Lulu34

Hiya bigfoot

I had a hormone pos bc in the right in 2006, then got triple neg in the left in 2009 and a recurrence of the triple neg in the chest wall two years later... And earlier this year with TN lung mets.

I remember getting BC for the second time and was so scared..... It was like my worse fear coming true.

With my recurrence i had that whole barrage of tests.... Bone scan CT and just such a worry till you have all the answers.... Thankfully all clear at that time and had chemo again.... Although i now have mets my treatment gave me 2 years mets free and i guess i was just one of the unlucky ones.

They discovered i had brca 2 after the second Bc.

Good luck with your scans and results.
Lxx
bernadetteh

Hi Bigfoot,

I'm so sorry to hear of your recurrance so soon after all your treatment. I was diagnosed with a recurrence in my right breast in August. I had already 2 primary Breast Cancers. In right breast 2002 and left breast 2007. Both time I had chemo, 30 sessions of radio and lumpectomy and complete node clearance. This time I had double Mastectomy and am on chemo at the moment. Mine is Triple Negative and grad 3 again. I wish you good luck in your treatment and keep your chin up. I know it's hard to go through it all again, but one step at a time. Best Wishes B xxx

26bigfoot

Hi rattles,
Thank you for your message. I haven't been feeling too good the last few months. Early onset of menopause due to last years chemo (I am 44),empty nest syndrome. My son went back to uni in September. He drove me up the wall when he was home in the summer, then when he went back I missed him terribly. (He came this weekend and am so very proud of him x) and also I felt very lonely. I went to see my gp and she had put me on citalopram which has been brilliant. Took a few weeks to kick in but my head not full of negative thoughts.

I hindsight I am now wondering whether there has been more to it?

When I got my results last week if was almost like a weight had been lifted and there was a reason for how I had been feeling.

Keeping myself busy, it's now I know what friends I need around me and who really know me. I don't need people to be upset i need them to make me laugh and have fun things to do.

I have bone scan booked for the 28th waiting for ct.

Sorry for my rambling xx

Thanks again
26bigfoot ( ps my feet aren't that big:) )
Rattles

Hi 26bigfoot,

I had a recurrence/new primary (not really sure which), 2 years after first diagnosis. I had triple negative so I had chemo again. It was a very difficult time for me so I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. It is a very anxious and scarey time- I found that while I knew what to expect, there was as much to be scared of too! But, a year on I have been through it all again and am picking up the threads of my life.

There is a lady on my chemo thread - kitten mad. She had a local recurrence and I am pretty sure she was on tamoxifen. You could pm her.

As you know, you will feel better when you have the scan results and you know what comes next. I would really encourage you to use all available support. I did and it really did make a difference.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Good luck, Rattles x

26bigfoot

Thank you for the message Janet. I used your website loads last year to read what people were going through to realise I wasn't alone....but needed to add something now:(
I will put the number in my phone.
Back to sleeping in the spare room as waking up at silly o'clock.

I do think I need to change my name:)
Janet_BCC

Hi 26bigfoot

Welcome to the BCC Forum but I'm sorry you find yourself in the waiting room again.

As well as the support you will find on here you could also talk things over with one of our helpliners.  They can offer practical information and emotional support.  They will be open tomorrow from 10-2 and on weekdays from 9-5.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

26bigfoot

Local recurrence 1 year after treatment

Mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy all finished by dec 2012. Started tamoxifen in November 2012.
Diagnosed on Wednesday with local recurrence in mastectomy scar. Waiting for bone and ct scan, told to stop taking tamoxifen. All so surreal, neck and arm caching starting to panic.......when results in back to see drs for the next stage?..