74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long hair past my bum. I desperately want to keep it. Help!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Long hair past my bum. I desperately want to keep it. Help!

Hi Joodymoody,

Had the same fear as you prior to chemo and I've been comparing my options before committing to a decision regarding my hair. I loved it so much (long straight hair/ natural light brown) and the idea of losing it got me all scared and seriously upset. However, I'm very fortunate to have a beautiful face so I did some experiments before getting myself a wig, just in case I needed it. I had my hair cut twice, a lovely bod at first followed by an extra short pixie. And it worked nicely for me for about two months prior to thinning due to chemo. Plus it gave me extra time to get use to the idea of having really short hair. I know how devastating it must be because I've been there myself. But it won't last forever. You can also try makeup to cheer you up and make you feel confident and beautiful. I absolutely love my Chanel red lipstick, has been a life changer! Chin up!

Wish you all the best,

Eva 

I just wanted to say thankyou to all of you for some fantastic advice and support.
My breast care nurse is not supportive of the cold cap at all. My consultant and oncologist said that they doubt that it will work. I told them I wanted to go ahead anyway and they were ok with that.
I just hope there are some supportive nurses in the chemotherapy ward x

Hi Joodymoody, hope your going to try the cold cap,the three ladies that i went through the treatment all saved their hair using the cold cap, no one could believe i was having chemo,whatever you decide,i send you love and hugs. Libby12xxxxxx

I used simple shampoo and conditioner worked well for me xxx Tracy

Sorry to hear your predicament JoodyMoody,

I was in exactly the same position in October, i had beautiful Auburn hair that was down near my bum and was my pride and joy.

I chose not to go with the cold cap, with the thought that i would have to cut my lovely hair anyway. My breast care nurse said the sooner i got it cut the better as i'd get used to looking different before it fell out.

Its was the best advice i could have taken, the first cut of 15 inches was the worst, i made my hair dresser cry ! But once that was done it didnt seem so bad after that. Felt like i had taken control, some ladies shave their heads, i could never do that.

I had my first treatment and then panicked about it still being too long and went and got a second cut to make it shorter still, they took another 7 inches off (not distressing at all). My hair started falling out exactly two weeks after chemo started end of October and within a week i was bald. It took a few days to get used to and i got my mum to trim the last bits as i looked like i had a comb over 🙂 but we saw it as part of the process and every hair that fell out was the cancer shrinking and dying. Even though its upsetting when you look in the mirror its still you looking back, when i realised this i was perfectly ok with it.

I dont think, no i know i could not have let me hair fall out from long. It would have been too distressing and a pain. even with 3-4 inches left it was a pain once it started falling out as the hair was coming out by the handful and was just every where. (if you dont go for the cold cap i'd recommend getting some jersey beanies to wear, they helped contain the hair while falling out and keep my head warm indoors, in bed etc...) Anna Bandana online do great little inexpensive beanies and some very pretty scarves, i have quite a few and i love them.

I would also recommend going for a head strong session, the ladies i saw were great and supportive, gave me some lovely ideas for scarves and accesorising them, practical info on scalp care etc....

i am having my last chemo session next week and my hair is already growing back, started about a week ago, which gave me a boost and now its growing thick and fast. Sooner than i thought, it started falling out wk 2 of November and started growing wk 2 of Feb.

I'd also recommend booking yourself in for a look good feel better session, i attended last month. its like a pamper make up workshop, they show you how with all aspects of make up but the eye brow and lashes side of things really helped me, no one knows i dont have eye brows or lashes its great 🙂 gave me a real confidence boost, oh and you get an amazing goody bag of make up at the end.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do, be strong, you have a fight ahead and in a few months you'll see there IS a light at the end of the tunnel !

Hi yes i did try them,and they were very good,but expensive ,the boots one also was good but not sure if they still make it. Paxman shampoos were tested on the hair o n women using the cold cap,so if you dont mind the price go for it,when does your chemo start and which type are you havingxx

Hi Elaine
Thanks for the advice. You have been more than helpful.
I looked on the paxman web page and I noticed that they sell their own shampoo and conditioner for use throughout chemo. Have you ever tried these?
They are quite costly at £30 for a set of 2 but I'm tempted to buy them .
Do the boots ones work as well? x

Hi I used the cold cap in 2012, and although my hair thinned I did save it. My hair now is past my shoulders and is lovely and thick . I know you love your hair as I did,but for the cold cap to be successful,you should have your hair cut perhaps to shoulder length as the weight of your hair could stop the cap from working properly. Make sure you wear the cap for the correct time,each chemo regime requires different times. I had 3 fec and 3 tax,your hospital should have a chart,if not do as I did and call paxman coolers direct,they were so helpful. Also after using the cold cap,don't wash your hair for about 3 days, know it sounds horrible,but it reall5 helps. Don't use baby shampoo,use a low ph one,I used boots special care one. Before u place the cap on,spray your hair with a mixture of conditioner and water. Make sure the cap fits tight to your head with no bubbles in it. Hope this helps a bit,I also drank barley grass from Holland and Barrett,loads of vitamins in it.Pope all goes well for you. Take care elainexxx

Your hair sounds lovely. If I had started with hair like that I would def have tried the cold cap. It def. works for some folk.

Good luck.

Thankyou x

Hi Joodymoody

I am posting a link to the Macmillan scalp cooling information for you in case you haven't seen it and also the BCC 'Hair loss and breast cancer' booklet which contains some cold cap information too:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-cancer-hair-loss-bcc5...

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Symptomssideeffects/Hairloss/...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Long hair past my bum. I desperately want to keep it. Help!

I know I'm one of so many women going through this and the thought of losing our hair is so distressing.
I will be starting my chemotherapy within the next few weeks and I have been researching cold caps and everything I can to prevent/slow down my hair loss.
I have been growing my hair for many years. It is thick and red and comes past my bum. It is the one and only thing that gives me confidence about myself and I'm devastated at the thought of losing it 😞
Any tips or success stories ? x