cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term Seroma

5 REPLIES 5
jelly_bean

Re: Long term Seroma

Hi, I am currently returning weekly to have a seroma drained. Approx 400mls of fluid have been drained each time. I had a immediate LD flap reconstruction and the seroma is on my back. I am now 5 weeks post-op. On my last visit, the doctor injected steroids into the seroma after draining it. It is too early to say whether it has made any difference, but initial signs are good. I have also been wearing a compression garment. While it did not stop the seroma forming, I think, as Lemongrove said, it may have helped to slow down the accumulation a bit, but as the seroma got bigger, the garment got more uncomfortable.
I have found these forums invaluable, because I don't feel so worried when I see that other women are dealing with and getting over the same problems. x
sivam

Dear Revcat and Lemongrove,I will ask my surgeon to consider a Steroid injection and I have bought 2 American sports bras from Costco and have cut a space for"softie" in the double lycra skin of the bra,will give that a try.It is now quite amusing to watch the drainage operator search for a space on the skin they havent pricked before,fast becoming a human pin cushion.I am so gratefull for your replies dont feel quite so alone with this problem any more.
Love and Light xxMavis

Lemongrove

Sorry, forgot to mention there may be two things that might help.
Although as I mention above my seroma remains unresolved, I have found that wearing a compression top controls the amount of fluid that builds up. The first compression top was supplied by my BC Nurse, but I have since found a company in the US who make compression camisoles for those who have chest lymphodema. The reason they are so much better is that they offer more compression, and as they are designed for those with chest lymphodema, have pockets to hold a prothesis.
I've tried looking for something similar in this Country, but they are either sports compression bras (which do not have prothesis pockets), or surgical compression bras, which look really ugly, with zipa and hooks etc.
The other thing that might help is to get a prothesis designed for someone with a slightly concave chest. Even if you don't have a concave chest the rounded back might help mould the skin flap into the chest wall.
If you want details of suppliers of the two items above please pm me, as I don't think BCC allow links to retailers.

Lemongrove

Hi Sivam, yep me as well. I've had a seroma since my MX/lymph node clearance in January 2010. The surgeon who performed my original surgery operated again in March 2011, as he thought the seroma had been caused by the formation of a capsule in the MX site. Unfortunately this didn't work and he carried on draining it weekly until November 2011, when I was referred for steroid injections into the mx site. The aim of the injections was to encourage the skin flap to adhere to the muscle wall below, but again it didn't work. As a result the original surgeon has now referred me to a micro-surgeon for reconstruction using my own tissue (skin and fat from tummy area). The hope is that filling the void with my own tissue, and forming new lymph drainage channels might help.
Sorry if you find this a bit discouraging, but I'm told it is very unusual for seroma's to go on for so long, and be so resistant to treatment. so hopefully your problem will sort itself out quite soon.

RevCat

Mavis that's really awful, poor you.

I had a recurrent seroma on my back (I had immediate LD reconstruction)and after four drainings (bigger than your 250ml it has to be said - more like 750) my PS prescribed a steroid injection - which she called 'a magic injection' - which resolved it once and for all. I don't know if they can/will use it on people's fronts (though I can't see why not) so it might be worth asking. I got the impression it was standard practice at this hospital to inject recurrent seromas.

sivam

Long term Seroma

Hi Everyone,
I had a Mastectomy and 36 nodes removed in August 2011 and my drains were removed 4 days later. Then I developed a Seroma which was drained and drained again 1 week later.For several weeks it was drained every 10 days producing about 250 mls of fluid,I went through chemo being drained and given antibiotics,during Radiotherapy draining was stopped and the Seroma became an enormous new "boob".I am still being drained now monthly,again given antibiotics and producing 240mls.
Is there anyone on this wonderful site had similar experience and what action has been taken?
Love and Light xx Mavis