Long term effects from rad burns

Hi people. I was wondering if anybody had experience of post rad burns . I’m currently working my way through this but as it is mostly under my arm and covers my armpit and lymph node removal site I’m worried it will tighten that area long term and will affect the lifting and work of my arm ( under my right arm and I’m right handed). I’m 5 days post rad and know I should be paitent but up until now my journey has been a positive one

Hi Artermax, 

I am sorry to hear you have been experincing radiotherapy burns. I am sure any users who have had a similar experience will be along soon to offer some of their support. 

In the meantime you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk you though any questions you have about what you have been experiencig in your arm and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hi artimax not sure if you moved to another thread now but just wanted to share my experience I had 20 rads 15 normal & 5 boosters didn’t start to get sore till number 16 but found when I finished I started to develop really bad rads burns, my skin really broke down under the affected breast and under my arm. it felt awful so I know what you’re going through. If you haven’t already ask your GP for a burns cream called flamazine and as many dressings as you may need, pop the cream on the dressings and keep them on through the day. Also get as much air to the area as you can, although I know that can be difficult as I was not happy at having it all hang out at first! Lol :slight_smile: it’s only natural! 4 weeks post and it’s really started to heal very well it just itches like mad but I can deal with that as that means the skins healing, all I can say is it does pass, once new skin builds the tightness goes as well. Situation got me down at times so I hope you’re ok? If you have any worries at all this forum is brilliant lots of women sharing their experiences really can help x

Thanks natnew81. I’m glad of your response as was really struggling. When bad to see rads nurse last Thursday who checked me over. Sounds like your skin suffered in exactly same places as mine. I’m now 8 days post rads and today is the first day I haven’t felt worse than the day before so I think I’ve reached maximum cooking temperature. ! Managed without a dressing under my arm today so that’s a positive. First time in my life I’ve wished my boobs were a few cup sizes smaller xx

Yes I can certainly relate, all I can say is hang in there it gets better with time. I found as soon as I could bare to go without a dressing it started to heal a lot faster but it was still very sore! Getting lots better now I’m 4 weeks post. I hope you heal quickly! :slight_smile: