cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term nerve pain and treatment?

6 REPLIES 6
Rattles

Re: Long term nerve pain and treatment?

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'd given up of hearing from anyone! Though I'm sorry to hear of the experiences of others as and the limited options. I'm on week 5 of taking Pregabalin. Its got easier. I'm drinking at least twice as much caffeine a day, but I sleep easily and its hard to focus and concentrate. The plan is to take them for 3 months, and then reduce. Its been very effective at reducing the pain - I woke up two days ago and was wondering what felt different - I could feel the sensation of my sheet against my arms.

I'd try acupuncture but I'm not sure how helpful it would be - I've been unlucky in that I've had a few complications and I'm not sure that anything topical would help. I use patches and find in combination with the medication, the pain is manageable. I'm doing more and walking and moving more. I just feel very drunk! I've also had a menthol cream which I've not yet tried.

I hope hearing from my experience will help you as much as hearing from you has helped me.

Thanks again, Rattles x

Seabreeze

Hi Rattles,
I took Amytriptyline for a while re nerve pain. Found it worked on pain but also made me sleep for ages overnight and I'd feel a bit dopey during part of the day.
Thankfully nerve pain went after a while and has been fine for a few months now.
Have you thought about seeing if acupuncture may help?
Seabreeze
Sika

I've been in pain since chemo 2 years ago which has been "diagnosed" as fibromyalgia, but I've been told neuropathy can sometimes be achey and weakness rather than just the pins and needles/loss of feelings in hands and feet. As well as codeine, I've been on duloxetine and hasn't realised how effective it was until I tried coming off it and all the pain returned. I think its less 'groggy' than pregabalin - maybe something to ask your gp about.
Butterfly318

Evening Rattles.

I have struggled since finishing Chemo Feb 2013.  I didn't want to take take Pregabalin or Gabapentin for Neuropathic pain due to potentional side effects.  I have a treatment called Quetenza which is derived from Chilli on my feet.   It stmulates the nerves so much they desenstise.  It helps with pain and needs repeating about every 4/5 months.  Carried out by Pain Management Clinic at The Christie but i believe it is available at other units.

It is just an alternative you could consider.

Take Care  Gilly x  

Chrissie10

I was initially on Amitriptyline for nerve damage to my upper arm, my GP later tried me on Pregabalin but I felt very, very lethargic on it so opted to return to Amitriptyline. Area still a bit sore, feels like I have a really bad graze and taken the skin off.
baylissa

I have nerve problems particularly in my hands and feet. Im going to try acupuncture and have a consulatation on Friday. I have heard that medication  does have these types of side effects.

Rattles

Long term nerve pain and treatment?

I've just started taking pregabalin for chronic nerve pain. For the first week the effect on pain was dramatic - its been as though someone turned off a switch. But, the side effects are not easy - I feel like I'm in a drunken stupor and sick. These have improved but not to the extent that I feel like I can function very well. Just wondered if anyone else has been on this medication and how they fared?

Thanks, Rattles