Lost, frightened and frustrated

Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum. My name is carol, I’m 42. I was diagnosed in jan 13 with TNBC in right breast and lymph nodes under right arm. I went through 6 sessions of FEC/doxetacel followed by right mast and lymph node clearance then 20 sessions of rads.
By the time I started Rads I already had a reoccurrence above right clavicle. It was then I was told that chemo didn’t work on cancer and that it was very aggressive. I was shocked. Up to that point I hadn’t considered the possibility that I wouldn’t be ‘cured’. The oncologist made sure that the area was covered by the rads treatment and it was decided that after a period of recovery I’d get a new CT to see what that had done and then decide on next chemo/rads combo.
Whilst recovering from the Radiotherapy I found a couple of bumps on my ribs, so a biopsy was taken and CT scan done. Cancer has now been confirmed in multiple places, right underarm, right side on ribs, sternum, next to mastectomy scar, left breast and left underarm lymph nodes. The good news is that it’s not in any organs yet and for that I am grateful! Surgeon said he thought that more surgery would just delay me being able to have more effective treatment options and so has ruled it out. After a lot of pushing he admitted that I will never be cured, and that it is very likely it will go to my organs. Devastated.

I see my oncologist next week to discuss chemo treatment and should start that following week…

I feel like the cancer is unstoppable, that it will eat me up and that all the hope I had is being crushed out of me. To my partner, father and friends I try to be as positive as I can, but in reality I find it very hard to believe that anything will work.

Is there anyone out there who has been through similar? Any advise for me?

Hi Carol, this must be a worrying time for you. I will bump the Trip Neg Secondaries/Recurrence thread up the board. It was started by gingerbud when you’re searching for it. Hoping Lulu34 sees your post as she’s very knowledgeable about trip neg bc. I hope once you are well into your treatment things ease up for you.

Take Care. x

Dear Carol,

Welcome to the forum where I’m sure you will find a lot of help and support from fellow members.

I have attached a link to one of our publications which outlines the services BCC has to offer to people with secondary breast cancer:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/support-for-people-living-with-secondary-breast-cancer-sm25.pdf

I hope this helps

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator