Lump in right breast and terrified

Hi there,

About six weeks ago I found a very small lump on the right side of my breast about two inches from my nipple. I went to the doctors a couple of weeks later and she told me she wasn’t concerned and to come back in a month just to get it checked again.

Well I went back yesterday and she eamined me again and has now referred me to a breast clinic. She said she still doesn’t think it’s anything sinister but has referred me as an urgent appointment. Surely if she really didn’t think it was anything serious she wouldn’t have put it as an urgent appointment. I’m paranoid that she was just telling me she didn’t think it was serious just to stop me worrying and cos she knew that would be what I wanted to hear.

Anyway I now have to wait for an appointment to be sent through and I am terrified that I’ve got cancer. She said I should be seen within two weeks but I just want the appointment letter to hurry up and come through so I know how long I’ve got to wait. How long does this usually take?

I’m trying not to let it affect my day to day life but I am struggling to stop worrying.

Hi KLL85

I’m sorry you are feeling so scared.  I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.  You might also find it helpful to give our Helpline a call to talk things over.  They’ll be able to offer you some practical information and emotional support.  They are open now- 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

I’ve also attached a link to our booklet which explains what might happen at your breast clinic appointment which I thought you might find helpful:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/your_breast_clinic_appointment.pdf

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi KLL 85 ’ just read your post . Was just wandering if you have your appointment yet sometimes u have to chase them up. Hopefully u will b one off the lucky ones it might b a cyst not needing rude depending on your age. Hope everything is ok for u. Do post again and let us no. All the best sue.x