Lump in scar tissue

Lump in scar tissue

Lump in scar tissue Hi everyone. I am new to this site and so glad that I have found it. I have found the information invaluable and only wish I was aware of this site two years ago.
I had a lumpectomy two years ago (Grade 3) but due to not finding that clear margin I underwent a mastectomy three weeks later. I was then given 6 chemo treatments. A couple of months ago I discovered a lump on the scar tissue but thought that this was down to scarring but having just had a biopsy last week they are not too happy with it and they have recommended removal of lump and then radiotherapy. The first time around I could cope with but this time I am finding that I am thinking of the worst scenarios. I am going on the 12th of this month and I am terrified of the outcome. I do not know why the first time round I was not given radiotherapy also why I was not offered any preventative drugs. I just wondered how they decide what is the best treatment for different people.

Thank you for allowing me to share this with you.

Maddy x

Dear Maddy Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums where I am sure you will get lots of helpful information and support from the other users of this site.

I am sorry to read that you are going through such a difficult time at the moment, please feel free to contact our helpline on 0808 800 6000 if you would like to talk to someone in confidence about your concerns and queries regarding the treatment you have had. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Everyone on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer or is a breast care nurse. The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so you can talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues you’re facing. The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

Kind regards

Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Maddy So sorry you’ve got a new lump to worry you. To the best of my knowledge, radiotherapy is normally only given after a lumpectomy, which is what happened with me 8 years ago. 18 months ago, when I had a recurrence under the scar from my original lymph node clearance, I was offered the possibility of another lumpectomy plus radiotherapy, as this area hadn’t had rads the first time. However I chose to have a mastectomy which meant that I wouldn’t need rads.

After chemo, the only preventative drugs are hormonal treatments and Herceptin, and these can only be given when the tunour is hormone receptive or HER2+. The fact that you weren’t put on one of these suggests to me that your tumour was hormone receptor negative. Do you know for sure that your tumour was ER- and PR-? If you don’t know, why not ask your oncologist or breast care nurse, or get them to give you a copy of your original pathology report.

If it helps to know this, I had a friend who had a very similar experience to yours. She had a mastectomy with chemo and no rads and when she had a recurrence on the mastectomy scar 2 years later was given rads. That was nearly 10 years ago and she is doing fine.

Good luck with your treatment

Kathy xx

i had rads after mascectomy! hi can i just say ive had chemo and 15 rads to my chest wall area and ive had a mascectomy, i was told by my onc that if a woman was to get a recurrance after mascectomy it usually comes back in the scar or chest wall area ,and this being the reason why i had radiotherapy after mascectomy. i think it depends on your onc he or she might have different ways to treating there patients than other oncs, so maybe if you had been given rads the first time this might not of occured. if i was you i would be asking lots of questions when i go back. as for other preventative drugs im now on herceptin because i tested her2 positive, this might not be the case for you so when you go back ask them what your her2 status was. i hope all goes well for let us know how you get on. take carexxx suzee

Thank you Thank you for your welcome and information.
I certainly will telephone the helpline if and when I need to.

Thank you Kathy I do appreciate your information and encouragement. I have not got a clue about HER2 + or -. I didn’t ask any questions the last time, I just accepted everything. I will find out more information this time round.

I will let you know how I get on. Thank you for your good wishes.

Maddy x

Thank you Suzee This time I will be asking for more information and making myself aware of what is happening and reasons why. I always have loads of questions to ask but when it comes to it I tend to just keep quiet and accept their decisions as they know what is best. They have the experience etc.
Thank you for your good wishes and I certainly will let you know how it goes on Monday.

Kindest regards
Maddy x