Lumpectomy and axcillary node clearance

On Monday I will be having a lumpectomy and axcillary node clearance having finished my chemo (thank goodness!!). Axcillary node clearance doesnt sound pleasant at all nor does the risk of lymphodema for the rest of my life! Feel like I’m getting rid of one ‘problem’ for it to be replaced by another! Anyone been through the same who can offer words of advise or comfort?x

Hi Emma, 

I had a lumpectomy with node clearance on the 4th October, I asked that they didn’t take all my nodes unless they really had to.  Apparently they have left me with some.  So maybe worth asking the surgeon on the day.  I still have a risk of lymphodema so being careful and keeping an eye on any swelling.  I do have a cording which is the tugging sensation in the arm.  This is more unpleasant than painful and ibuprofen helps.  I have a long but very neat scar in my armpit and one around the nipple (not so neat but will improve) the bruising all went very quickly.  

Good luck with your surgery.  

I start chemo next week, so opposite way round to you.  ?

Hi Emma

I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed in the Summer and have now just got through chemo.

I found it quite sore for a few days after, so the trick was to take the painkillers regularly, before the pain got really bad. It then settles down and after 2 weeks was pretty much ok. I was given a leaflet on exercises after surgery, which was hard at first, but persevere with it as the area under your arm will feel quite tight.

Going forward, just be careful about lifting heavy things. I think you just learn to adjust.

Hope all goes well for you next week x

Thank you very much for your very helpful replies. I also saw my BCN this afternoon for a 2 hour chat and feel a bit better about things. She also gave me a heart shaped pillow with a pretty pattern on it so that made me feel a bit better too … sometimes the smallest of things can help you feel better :relaxed:

Ah Sue C, sorry to hear you didn’t get one.
Good luck to the both of you with your next stage of treatment. Take it easy, chemo is nothing to fear. Its doable and manageable. Be kind to yourselves, rest, drink water and accept help whenever offered …anything to make life easier through this journey that no one wants to be on xx

I had it done other way round as I am in middle of chemo now. So far no problems after full node clearance. Make sure you do your exercises religiously two to three times a day, I have great and full movement now but still do exercises a few times a week. Neat scar under my arm and has healed very well. Op was in early September and still a bit of numbness. I had to go in a few times and get fluid drained, this is really common so don’t be scared, it doesn’t hurt at all, only takes about 2 mins. You may get what’s called cording, just massage it with some cream and oil regularly and it will eventually soften and dissappear. No sign of Lymphoedema so far. Don’t know if it works but I have a body brush I use in shower and I massage my arm thoroughly with it in shower every day to encourage blood flow . Hope this is helpful and good luck xx

Thank you so much. I’ve taken on board your advice re exercise etc. I hope chemo isn’t too challenging for you and you are doing as ok as can be expected x

Just been for my pre-chemo assessment and a tour of the unit.  Met some of the lovely staff there.  Free tea and coffee or soft drinks to keep me and hubby going (but no gin?). Starting tomorrow, got to go in early for PICC line insertion and then chmo due for 12 noon.  

Tried on the cold cap ?, I said “oh yes that is cold” nurse - “I’ve not turned it on yet” ? So not sure about that then!!! 

Think I’m all set, just the other half who seems to be more worried than me - bless him.  

Emma I hope all goes well today for your op ? Sending a gentle hug to you.  

And hugs to everyone else. ?

Jo xx

Thank you everyone for your comments. Op went ahead on Mon and so far so good … you know, as good as can be expected after an op. Exercises on Tues made me nearly pass out but gradually improving and an hour ago during exercises I realised I already have near full range of movement but taking things slowly. 4 x 2 paracetomal and 3 x 2 ibuprofen seems to be working for me so far … don’t know when I’ll have the courage to stop taking them to see how I get on.
JOjo45 - very best of luck with your chemo. You will get through it and come out the other side xx

Hi JOjo45. Glad chemo not treating you too bad, long may that continue.
Had bad pathology results from my lumpectomy and node clearance that I now have to have a mastectomy. Devasted!x

So sorry Emma…I get my results tomorrow and am fearful of the same

Treeze, I will send positive fibes to you in hope of good news for yourself.

JOjo45, so sorry to hear re lymphodema. They are a lot more on the ball with keeping it at bay so I hope all works well for you xx

So kind of you when you have your own troubles.thank you x

Because I had such a big tumour I was told to have chemo first … Im really not sure. I hope you have an appointment with oncologist in pipeline? Write down all your questions and hopefully you will be provided with definitve answers xx