1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumpectomy - how long to settle down?

12 REPLIES 12
Kmk66

Re: Lumpectomy - how long to settle down?

Yes I've read some posts on here from ladies who have said they still get twinges of pain a few years down the line. Oh happy days lol.

Kerry x

On a diversion

Thank you Kmk66, sorry to hear you've had so many surgeries.  I have been taking over the counter paracetemol and codeine (500/8) which is the highest level of codeine I can stomach and it has helped 🙂 I was chatting to a friend online last night and she had a WLE several years ago and said she still gets pains. X

Kmk66

I had my lumpectomy on 22nd Feb and it took an age to settle down pain wise - literally only being last week I felt able to use my arm properly. I've unfortunately had loads of previous surgeries (gynae mostly) and never eaten pain killers like I have but think it was more the SNB that I suffered with.

i did have an infected heamatoma and seroma which didn't help so if you are in doubt OAD go and see your GP or ring your BCN. I'm surprised the hospital didn't send you home with some sort of codine to help you out if I'm honest 

On a diversion

Thank you! 

Jill1998
Community Champion

That's good.
On a diversion

Hi Jill, Thanks, it was a lot better yesterday. I have been looking through the posts on the forum and it seems some people get more pain than others, I guess it depends on the size and type of excision.  Also, I was already very bruised from the biopsy. I think I overdid things the day before, now just the occasional stabbing pains through the nipple area and painkillers are helping, phew!

@Jill1998 wrote:
OAD have you had your wound checked post op?Im not sure you should be in so much pain.For me in was more a dull ache and then like previously described on the thread shooting pains as the nerve endings healed .

OAD

Jill1998
Community Champion

OAD have you had your wound checked post op?Im not sure you should be in so much pain.For me in was more a dull ache and then like previously described on the thread shooting pains as the nerve endings healed .
On a diversion

Hi, 

Thank you.  I was fine in hospital as they gave me a combination (not all at the same time!) of oxycontin, oramorph, paracetemol, ibuprofen. When I asked about pain relief on discharge they told me to go to the GP if I needed anything stronger than paracetemol and ibuprofen but with it being a bank holiday yesterday that wasn't possible. Thankfully the pain has been a lot better today and I am much happier but if I need surgery again I will definitely insist on a prescription for something stronger X

Anita

Hi sounds like I had same op as you on the 24th & unless it gets worse after a few more days I haven't really been in much pain more like discomfort. Were you in pain right from the start? The hospital gave me 4 days worth of strong painkillers to bring home but as of yet I haven't needed them. I know that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but everyone is different so perhaps you could do with getting some stronger painkillers just to get you through these few weeks. Have you managed to do your exercises or are you in too much pain?

On a diversion

Hi, I had my WLE earlier this week, other people I know who've had it have said they hardly noticed any pain afterwards but I'm so sore I can't sleep even when I take paracetemol and ibuprofen. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? 

lizzieb

Hi Aggielou, 

Sounds very normal to me. I'm still getting twinges and I had surgery beginning January. Did you have a sentinel node biopsy at the same time? For me the recovery from that has taken the longest. I have a lot of nerve pain and twinges all the way down my arm. I guess everyone takes different amounts of time to heal.

I find that things vary still from day to day and I feel worse if I overdo things e.g. supermarket shopping, then need to rest up for a bit.

See your BCN if you are worried though, always good to check.

Lizzie

poppyj

Hello Aggielou

It may be just the inner scarring settling down, but best to ring your designated breastcare nurse who should be able to put your mind at rest. I had MX & LD flap recon 2 years ago and still get the odd "twinge" in my back. Just remember it is major surgery and you need to take time to recover.  Hope you are able to get some reassurance.

Best wishes

PoppyJ 

Aggielou

Lumpectomy - how long to settle down?

Hi everyone

I had a lumpectomy on 4 Feb ( so approx 7 weeks ago) for high grade DCIS  All went well and scar fully healed- just waiting for radiotherapy now. After initial discomfort  lasting about 10 days everything settled down BUT in past week I've had aches and fleeting pains in the area - not all the time , worse after a day at work. Anyone else had this ? Is it just part of normal recovery ? Perhaps I'm expecting too much to think I won't notice anything at all.   Any advice welcomed.