Hi just come home today. Surgery was fine but had anaphylactic reaction to blue dye for sentinel node biopsy so had to stay overnight. No drain or dressing on wound, supposed to heal quicker this way. Taking paracetamol every 4 hours and have been given a bottle of morphine in case I need extra but so far so good on paracetamol.
Hi Raitchr, great that you got a cancellation, and all the best for Friday. You know we're all rooting for you. Keep us posted on progress. X
Very best wishes for Friday. It sounds like you have made the right decision for YOU and you have considered all the pros and cons, so you go girl, and get the blighter sorted. Good that you do not have so long to wait. Let us know how you are. x
Hi I had a call today and I have a cancellation for this Friday! My cancer is invasive ductal triple neg stage 1 grade 3, it is aggressive so I need to be aggressive back. Thanks for your info on lumpx but for me I feel a mx is best. Will update you when I am back home, should be just a day case depending on my blood pressure.
Hi Raitchr, I know you've made your decision, but I thought I'd add what happened to me.
I was diagnosedwith a 2cms ductal naughty(?) grade 3 ER+ and lymph node positive. Takes your breath away, doesn't it? At 70 I was adamant that I wanted a mx, and I would be happy with chicken fillets in my bra as I had no intention of reconstruction. I felt that for me, life is too short. I was offered a lumpectomy with breast reduction on the other to make them match. I refused that offer as, again, I didn't want the extra surgery. Like you, I was assured that there is no difference in outcome between a lumpectomy and a mastectomy, except of course the margins. At this point I got hold of his hand and asked the mummy question, and he also replied yes to a lumpectomy. So, that is what I had on Monday with full lymph node excision. Turns out my surgeon was a plastic surgeon in another life, and she appears to have done a great job on my boob. She did have a lot to work with, however!
You have to be happy with your decision, and if you are, then that's the right one for you. Not to make light of it, but I found the operation far far far better than my mind had envisaged. The anaesthetics they use now are very light, so no heavy head, and I also had an anti nausea drug in my cocktail. I would say I have some discomfort rather than pain. Wishing you good luck with your op. I'll be looking out for your post. X
Hi, I have gone back to my original decision of mastectomy, op is booked for 29March. Worried too much over clear margins with lumpx. If I had lumpx then right boob would be A cup and left boob would be C cup. I don't want to have regrets as need chemo and rads. Boob goes then less tissue. Good luck with your op.
Hello, my situation is a little different, if I have a lumpectomy one breast will look significantly different to the other, my surgeon is not confident that there will be enough breast tissue to correct it. Plus not enough fat on my stomach/back to help reconstruct (I seem to have the build of a child!) So I have opted for a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, there is only a small chance afterwards of needing radiotherapy. They are doing gene testing on me too (I'm 37 with no family history of it, but I had previously had an inconclusive mass removed in the same area 2 years ago) Its such a hard decision really if you have options x
Wow - what a brilliant question to ask a consultant - wish I'd had the presence of mind to think of that on the spot!
I'm not sure how fast these 'ere cells move, but I can remember feeling a bit the same about wanting the surgery, saying "How soon can I have it, as if hopefully the cells haven't reached the lymph nodes yet, I'd like it to stay that way" - again, I got a rather benign smile from him and assurance that even if i had to wait 3 months and not 3 weeks, it would still be fine.....But I kept thinking "But there must come that one day when the first cancer cell decides to go for a llittle explore....". I wonder if maybe they don't move as fast as we think they do?
Is there a middle way - i.e. not a mastectomy but a jolly large lumpectomy? I think there is something called a quadrectomy or something which suggests about a quarter of the boob. I don't know anything about that though.
A really hard decision to make and I don't envy you. I hope you get more replies to help you decide, but maybe it is good just to post here and use us as a sounding board for your own thoughts, even if we don't say anything that useful in itself. Just make sure that when you have decided that you are really sure deep down that it is right for YOU. Your head can make rational decisions, and should do so of course, but listen to your gut as well. x
Thanks for your reply.Yes I am afraid of the margin with lumpectomy and would hope they get a clear one first time. I just don't want to waste time before chemo going for another op. I never thought I would say it but I am desperate for chemo to start so it can sort out any rogue stray cells on the loose. Mri and ultrasound showed clear nodes but I have triple neg invasive so I need it to be gone first time. An mx would not need clear margin so I was told today. I did ask consultant if it was his wife, mother or daughter what would he recommend and he said lumpectomy.
PS: RE your concern about possibly having to go back in for a "shave". Not everyone has to have this though some do of course. For me, on the day of my surgery I said to the surgeon: "Look, I'm too old to be concerned about a dent in my boob, and i don't want to be back here in a couple of weeks for you to take more out, so can you make sure you get a good portion out and if in doubt take a bit more than you think you need!" He smiled (as in humouring me), but he DID get clear margins and a bonus is I don't have a dent - I think the other tissue sort of budges up to fill the gap.I've got small boobs anyway.
It is such a difficult decision for you to make so I hope you have a little time to weigh up the pro and cons. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Cancer - at the time of biopsy a 9mm lump. With no preamble the consultant surgeon, after giving me the diagnosis, said "We can treat this one of two ways, either a mastectomy or a lumpectomy". I'm afraid I never even asked him which he recommended, as the lump was so small a mastectomy seemed a bit OTT, so without a thought or any research I said. "Maybe in a few years if necessary I'll need a mastectomy but at this stage I'll go for the lumpectomy". He seemed sort of pleased and said that the outcome would be "promising" or some such word. I have since had the lumpectomy and Sentinel lymph node removed and margins were clear and the lymph node not affected, so was glad i went with my intial thought, though the lump turned out to be 1.4 cm after surgery.
I think the size, grade and stage of our tumours might be a factor in making the decision. I am ER+, though I didn't know that until after the surgery when they biopsied the removed lump. I asked my oncologist at an appointment between surgery and rads and I said that I had been really surprised at being offered the choice of a mastectomy and he said they do offer that, because some ladies want the whole thing over and done with and feel more secure having a mastectomy.
So I wonder if it would be worth asking the consultant for some truthful pros and cons about which to choose? The fact that you have been given a choice does sound as though it may not be essential to have a mastectomy...but only you can decide on the basis of evidence (unlike me who just went with my first thought, which I do not regret however) These appointments don't give us much thinking time do they? Sorry for the long post but this is SO important isn't it? Good luck with whichever way you decide to go. X
So I have the choice of lumpectomy or mastectomy, which ever I pick I have to have chemo and radiotherapy afterwards. I just don't know which to choose. Lumpectomy seems easier and less recovery but I worry about clear margins and having to go back for a shave. Mastectomy is drastic but no problem over margin. I have stage 1 grade 3 2.5cm invasive bc triple negative, need gene testing. Any thoughts??