Lumpectomy to diagnose DCIS?

I have discharge from my right nipple (bloody at first, now clear) and have seen the consultant twice.  I have had a mammogram and an ultrasound, both clear.  However the consultant seems to want to go straight to a lumpectomy to diagnose whether or not I have DCIS, by removing all the ducts underneath my nipple and testing them for abnormal cells.  She said it was partly diagnostic, partly treatment.  Is this normal?  Why am I not being offered a biopsy?  I am 41 years old and there is no history of breast cancer for me or my family.  I have another appointment in early December but am fact-finding before then and cannot see any references which talk about bypassing the biopsy stage.  I am confused!

Hi TeaandCake

I’m sorry to read you’re having a tough time at the moment.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can talk through your thoughts and concerns with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi TeaandCake,

I’m afraid I can’t be of much help to you. I don’t have any personal experience of DCIS. But, it does sound a little odd to say the least that they would opt for surgery as a diagnostic tool! Can’t they do a core biopsy first?

I think of I were in your shoes, I’d be asking for a second opinion. Perhaps you could talk to another surgeon?

Another suggestion would be to talk to the helpline, as I’m sure they’d be able to offer some guidance.

I’m sorry I can’t be very helpful. I just think if it were me, my instinct would tell me to get a lot more info before allowing them to operate.

Take care, and keep us posted. Love Mel xx

Hi again,

Yes, definitely being paper and pen. And any questions you have, no matter how small, make a note of as soon as you think of them, so you don’t forget.

DCIS is highly treatable as they know there is no spread. In still confused that they aren’t doing a biopsy, but maybe they can tell already from the images?

In any case, best of luck to you. It’s a good idea to take someone with you as they may think of questions you don’t. You may also find it hard to take it all in at the time.

Anyway, take care and let us know how you go. All the best, Mel xx