Hi Loobyb, i was dx August 2007 , i had Lumpectomy in July 2007 for what they thought was a swollen Lymph Node which turned out to be cancer . I had the choice of MX or another WLE with node clearance and a weekend to make my mind up. I chose WLE and got clear margins, grade 3,HER2+, ER/PR neg and 7/21 nodes affected and went on to have 3 TAX/3 FEC, 5 wks Rads and 18 Herceptin. I'm hoping to be discharged after my Mammogram next week fingers (and everything else crossed). I often wondered if i did the right thing not having a MX and was even told ( by a "know it all friend" ) i was silly not to have one and that there was more of a chance of it coming back but ive been lucky up to now so WLE has worked for me but all our cancers are different and i feel i was lucky to be given the choice due to cancer size and position. Good luck with your treatment. Angie xx
I had a wire guided excision and axillary node clearance on 7 Feb. A biopsy had already shown spead to nodes, but even so at that stage breast conserving surgery was the recommendation. They didn't get clear margins, so had cavity shave on 7 March. Still no clear margins and it was only at that stage that MX was offered. I struggled with decision for a couple of days, but in end wanted to keep as much of my breast as poss and my consultant was happy to give it another go. Had cavity shave 8 April and happily did get margins that time so now moving on with chemo.
So 3 excisions is possible, but of course their priority is to get cancernous cells out and they have to take account of number of factors size of tumour etc, so not everyone will be given the same options.
From discussions with my consultant and BCN, vast majority of women have one excision and then move on, so hope that is some confort.
Wish you all the best on 8 May.
I am having a lumpectomy on 9th May, but as my lymph nodes are affected will be having node clearance.
I agree its hard to remember everything to ask your BCN and so much to take in.
I have been told that I will get the results about clear margins about 10 days after my op.
Hope all goes well.
Thank you chascat these are the things I know I should ask my bc nurse but never remember which is why I love these forums and the support they give still learning about this wretched disease and staying positive thank you!! :))
Hi looby, I'm sorry you find yourself here but you'll get lots of support. You won't need an mx if your nodes are affected no but you'd have an axillary node clearance. If they don't get clear margins they'll do a cavity shave, I think generally if this also fails to get clear margins they'd probably suggest an mx, but I think there are a few ladies on here who've had 3 attempts at getting clear margins without an mx and some successful x
I'm to under go a lumpectomy on 8th may and a slb if they find it has invaded the nodes am I likely to be offered a mx also will I be offered one if the margins aren't big enough or a further scrape these things keep popping into my head I could ring my bc nurse but the knowledge of the ladies on here astounds me I feel that an mx may be the way to go if they don't get it first time don't want to give it a second chance thank you in advance :))