cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumpectomy

54 REPLIES 54
JoJo11

Re: Lumpectomy

Just popped in to wish everyone the best possible Christmas!

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi Sammy, I don't like to be on my 'own' either - my family think I have lost the plot - I'm quite sure I have. My son is away for Christmas and I live with him and when he told me my heart sank, I really do not like to be alone 24/7 weird feeling. How did you op go? I hope you are ok - I'm sure we all will be.....love Pauline xxx
Sammy

Hi I'm new to all this. Was diagnosed with bc beginning Nov. Had 2 ops so far, the last one was 21st dec. Family and friends have been great but I feel lonely can't explain it. I'm scared which I'm sure we all are.
Chemo is Jan but I don't really know what to expect. Next appointment 5 Jan
Hope you all have lovely Christmas xx
janv

Thanks Pauline - I too wish everyone a happy Christmas, with hopefully a day or two to put all the anxieties and fears away - if only because of the "opportunities" to keep busy..

I'm starting chemo early January, so not in any rush to see the end of Christmas this year!

Here's to new beginnings in 2016

xx

Jan

hidip

Hi everyone, just wishing you the happiest of Christmases - keep in touch xxxxx Pauline

hidip

Hi Jan, thanks for that, I am so scared of the auxillary node op/lumpectomy but you are making me feel more at ease, I do think it's the waiting, it's dreadful! I know that the Letrozole has given me the choice of surgeries. My daughter keeps telling me I will be fine, just wish I had her confidence. Hopefully when this is over I can carry on, just keep thinking I won't cope, but it's definitely the waiting....love Pauline
janv

My congratulations too JoJo - hope you are going to celebrate this great start to 2016!  What I'm beginning to realise is that there are no short cuts to this wretched journey, every stage has to be got through systematically.  I find it really uplifiting to read postings from those ahead of me.

So, on today's optimistic note, I've been researching what to do with my hair, having been told that chemo is recommended.  It's v long - haven't had it cut for yrs, I just touch up a few grey roots & put it up every day. Think it will be more upsetting trying to preserve some of it with uncomfortable cold caps which may or may not work.   So, think I will get it chopped off & donated toThe Little Princess Trust, at least a bit of good might come of all this!

Seeing oncologist next week re chemo so feel a bit in the dark until then..back to the waiting game.. but, getting over ANC surgery well, one seroma drainage (didn't hurt at all) which gave instant relief, & seems to be settling now, so time to get exercising..

Pauline - what a worying time, so glad grandson improving.  Little ones get poorly really quickly & really worry us don't they?  Re the drain - mine was absolutely fine, fastened securely with stitch & heavy duty waterproof tape, so OK to shower, & didn't feel anything when they removed it.  You will be fine.  9 months of waiting is (well, I think anyway) is by far the hardest bit, & if you can do that, you can do anything!  Take care

Jan

hidip

Hi jojo, Jan, and all,   Jojo,fantastic news, I am so jealous, so happy it's all done!  Now it's my turn, I am so dreading it.  Hope you doing better Jan, it's really getting to me all this waiting, I am so anxious, how on earth will I cope.  My grandson, he's just two, was admitted to hospital with pneumonia, what a shock for us all, he was really poorly.  I started getting really bad headaches,  too much to cope with I think, but he's on the mend now, so all sleeping again, we were up for 48hrs + horrendous.   We are all trying to get back in some sort of a routine, what a year it's been.  Hysterectomy, pneumonia, breast cancer, anything else?  I had an appointment with an surgical nurse on Monday she was lovely,explained all the pros and cons, think some of them scared me, but hopefully most will not happen, I didn't much like the drain which she gave me to hold, but she said it's more uncomfortable than anything else.  I'm just wondering how I will make it to the OR without fainting, I think the waiting your turn gets to you, seeing people coming and going and waiting! I know through talking to you all, you have told me it's all doable, but perhaps your all stronger than I am.......I waited  4 days for my hysterectomy, due to a cancellation, so no time to think - I have waited 9 months this time, and believe me everything possible that could go wrong I have imagined! My daughters are fab, but they say stop overthinking everything you are driving yourself crazy. Too late I think.  I just hope I can come brought this as well as you have all done, thanks for your support, and Jojo, congratulations, I am so really chuffed for you......speak soon... Lots of Love Pauline xxx

janv

Hi Pauline and all

Well, I've had an uneventful week sitting around waiting for wound from ANC to heal.  OK until day 10, then swelling set in.  Reading up, it sounds like a seroma.  It hurts!  Off to outpatients today anyway, so hoping they will drain it.  Asked the breast care nurse if there was anything I could do that would help - or make it worse.  Apparently not, once it happens, you just have to ride it out, it settles eventually.  But, good news, had a call telling me ANC pathology clear, so won't be going to today's appointment wired to the national grid like I am normally.  Think the discussion will be about chemo / not chemo.  Not sure how I feel about that, havent' had much choice in treatment so far, but really don't want to be given choices - just tell me what to do to reduce risk of it all returning.

Hope stomach bug improving Pauline, it's unfair on top of all this waiting & anxiety.  

First Xmas card I opened yesterday - written whilst on their Carribean pre-Xmas holiday - contained the annual missive about a friend's many family triumphs, ... I'm refraining from sending a vitriolic one in return!    My cards are going to be short & succinct this year..

Jan

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

How are you? I finished my radio on Monday; I'm very tired now , but so glad it's done. I also saw my colonoscopy results, some dysplasia, but no malignancy. I still have to see GP to discuss them, but am very relieved! I'll have to have it done every three years, but that's a small price to pay.

So now I have no excuse re Christmas - I'll just have to knuckle down lol!

lots of love

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi everyone, how are you all doing? How are you Jan? Not heard anything lately, so hope you are doing ok. I have had a stomach bug do not been on here for a few days....still thinking of you all though .........keep in touch Pauline
nickif

Good thinking Jan.. always find a positive lol! 😄 Actually for 2 weeks hubby off work so he can keep me company so that will be nice and he says we can go out afterwards or just home a chill. 

janv

Oh Nicki, that's harsh.  But - another step forward... & a New Year with hopefully most of your treatment completed might seem good when you get there.

An excuse for NY champagne unstead of awful Xmas sherry perhaps?   🙂 Jan

nickif

Glad we have no plans for Christmas as now got rads right through it... 😞

hidip

Hi Nicki, thanks for that. Sorry about your experience - hope you feel better now. I am not looking forward to Christmas, but I am looking forward to a planned holiday next year, time goes so quickly so here's hoping it does. I think you are doing incredibly well, my hospital is really supportive of us all and they have said I will be fine, they will look after me. My daughter works ion a hospital (maternity) and she said that one of the ward clerks there, her 86yr old mother in law had a Masectomy and was home 23hrs later and was fine, so if she can cope.......thanks for posting, take good care. Pauline x
nickif

Hi girls. I had my lumpectomy the 5th Nov..had an infection which was really painful and seroma which leaked and had to be drained a couple of times. Now all healed nicely and off to oncologist tomorrow about my Rads.

I understand fully your worry about he results on your  axillary nodes. I was terrible, back to the what if again, is it going to be chemo, removal etc. Luckily 3 taken, 3 clear so just rads and tamoxifen. The secertary at my sons school has had her lymp nodes removed and did get Lymphodemia but when I talk to her about it she is so positive. She says its fine, she lives with it and the alternative is so much worse, she can work and do most things, but it is such a worry!. 

I am back to work which I think helps me cope with it all. Normality is a good thing and stops me thinking about it all. Hopefully I can work a bit through my treatment too. 

I also know what you mean about Christmas. Not feeling it at all this year. Then again Michael Buble was on the radio tonight and I did have a very loud sing along and felt quite cheerful, maybe it might get me nearer the time!!! 

Good luck to us all xxx

hidip

Hi jojo, thanks for your suggestions, my dr gave me Valium 2mg as and when required - I took one on Monday before my consultation but it made me tired, perhaps because I'm not use to them. I am seeing a surgical nurse on Monday to ask some of my questions, so hoping she will reassure me - I suppose when this op is over, I will have something else to worry about, I am glad that your treatment is almost over, hope your resting, thanks for all your help and tips, means a lot to me, thinking of you too. Pauline x
hidip

Hi Jan, I know what you mean about Christmas, just want to hibernate, actually think I am! My son took me to the pictures to watch the new bond film, I actually enjoyed it, which was a surprise. I keep saying it's not the lumpectomy (really) it's more the lymph node surgery that I am frightened off and the drains and the pain and.....everything - keep imagining myself walking down to surgery, but can't! I know I will have to, but still wish that someone could sedate me at home and I will wake up and it's over. My daughter says she's going to stay with me until it's time .....I know when I had my pre med for my hysterectomy I didn't care where they were taking me, but no such luck this time. I am hoping a calmness like you said will descend on me on the day, my daughter said she will stay with me until it's time - think it's more to make sure I go! I really don't know why I am like this, but one bc nurse said that sometimes it's the Letrozole that can cause depression and mood swings, just keeps getting better. Hope you are ok. Love Pauline x
JoJo11

Hi Everyone,

and welcome Jan, Nadine And Jilly. It's interesting that WLE is now frequently done as day surgery, I had mine done in 2007 and it wasn't an option. Mmuch nicer to go home I think, even with drains! I had my second round of brachytherapy today so I'm half way there. Rather tired though, so early night for me. 

Pauline, have you discussed your worries with your GP? Maybe they could help with your anxiety, not necessarily pills if you don't want them, but possibly some coping strategies. Might be worth a try.

love and big virtual hug,

Jojo

xx

janv

Hi again Pauline

I suppose I'm working the other way round, just can't wait to get through all this, so want to bring things a bit nearer.  My next milestone is Dec 10th, when I'll find out if the lymph nodes were positive, which might mean chemo,   if not, just radiotherapy & pills... I know I will be a wreck on the run up to that.  

I didn't get offered a pre-med, just "allowed" to walk to theatre in my dressing gown & slippers!  By the time I got to that point, I had stopped feeling really anxious, I find there's something vaguely reassuring about putting yourself & decisions about yourself in someone else's capable hands - akin to flying perhaps?

Drain out today, didn't hurt at all, so went home via Tescos.  Big mistake!   Slade belting out "So here it is, merry xmas everybody's having fun......"  (you know the whole chorus I'm sure!).  Left husband and trolley at the checkout, & strutted out uttering profanities about what I would do if I got hold of Noddy Holder!  But - DIDN'T CRY...!  

I'm finding it's better to get out every day, even if just for a walk alone.  I'm trying to avoid long conversations with well meaning relatives & friends.  Can't face their curiosity and daft questions - or full on avoidance that anything is wrong at all!   They can't win either way I suppose.  My 4 kids (all grown up) are desperatly trying to find something useful to do for me, although there isn't of course much they can do.  

How about getting your son to take you to the pictures?  I saw "The Lady in the Van" last week  - it's funny & light, & took me out of myself for couple of hrs.   Just a suggestion -  I know it won't work for everyone.

I too am scared of lymphoedema, but my consultant reassured me that if it happens, it's treatable / managable.  I think the odds of not getting it are improving too, so fingers crossed...Jan x

hidip

Hi thanks for replying, I had a hysterectomy in May due to a twisted torsion so do know what it's like being in hospital for 5 weeks after contracting pneumonia - but I was no were near as scared as this! My oncologist has said this is a minor op in comparison - but I am really scared of this op much more than I was when having the hysterectomy - no clue as to why? You have had all those operations my goodness - I hope you are okay - your right about getting over it - although I have a scar from my hysterectomy I have forgotten all about it - hope I do the same eventually with this - thanks ......Pauline
jillybee

Hidip,how I can identify wih you...was so scared waiting for my first op,in 2000....a WLE....since then,have had16 further operations...all breast related,plus 2 hip replacements.

you are not given pre meds now.....It is an emotional roller coaster,but,you will get through it,it will pass.

You go to bed,wake up,thinking about it.Yes,best not to google.It is the unknown.You always get some bright spark giving you their gloomy stories as well.

But,you have to go through all this,no easy way out.Next time your son asks you out,make the effort,get dressed up....this gloomy weather doesn't help😂

hidip

Thanks for that, I must admit that the waiting is getting to me. I am trying to keep busy but sometimes my heart is not in it. I seem to get better as the day goes on- how are you doing? I am going to my mums today so we can have a chat - she likes to reminisce - then I have got my son coming later. I have good days and bad days - which is normal I suppose - thanks for posting on here - it does help me ....Pauline x
Nadz

I sadly can't help much with your medical questions, as these are best answered professionally and for your care. I would recommend you carry a wee notebook to write any questions and fears that come to you and when you next see your oncologist just read straight from the book. Take moments when needed and if you find her holding your hand is distracting(makes you more emotional) just ask her to wait until all has been asked then comfort will help. My bcn described the lumpectomy perfectly to me..she said it's like a cherry, the lump is the stone and the healthy margin is the fruit. I kept that image with me the whole time.
You will surprise yourself on the day, stay away from Google, immerse yourself in chores and family. Xx
hidip

Hi Jan, thanks for that. I'm not in the least bit brave at all, my surgery is January 13th and I am already having nightmares! My oncologist always puts on the end of her letters - please do not be alarmed! She has me worked out! I'm afraid after my initial diagnosis I did what I was told not too - googled - my goodness what scary stories - but thanks to people like you I am calming down - a bit. I am scared of lymphodemia if they take them all, also I take care of my mum who is 91yrs old now.....I can't even think of Christmas ...it just brings it nearer. I did ask for a pre med, but because it's done as day surgery she said it wasn't available. There must be something I can take? Perhaps when the day comes I will feel calm-although at the moment I doubt it. Thanks for your post, like you said, emotional rollercoaster, it's awful, draining. My son asked me out yesterday, couldn't even be bothered to go out. I said, thanks perhaps next week! Glad you are recovering well, please keep in touch.....love Pauline x
janv

Hi Pauline & all
I'm new to the forum & to this awful emotional roller coaster we are on. Lumpectomy 3 weeks ago healed fast, then axillary clearance 4 days ago. Neither op was as bad as I feared- only took paracetamol for the first 2 days for each (& no, I'm not being brave, it's just OK). Drain out tomorrow hopefully, currently in pocket, but not too much of an inconvenience! Shoulder a bit stiff, & occasional shooting pains & numbness, but again, can deal with it. Trying to do something good each day to stay positive between the tearful & angry days... Not sure whether chemo or radiotherapy is next, so ordering Xmas groceries today...might not be up to it in a few weeks, & don't feel brave enough to cancel Xmas completely.
I too was terrified of having the lymph nodes removed, but so far - & I know it's early days - so good. I really hope things go as well for you, take care, Jan
hidip

Hi Nadine, thank you so much for your reply! I am just wanting reassurance that I can cope. I spoke to my oncologist last Monday and she just said, you do know that we are removing your nodes don't you? I just nodded....how many should have been my question, but I have an appointment with a surgical nurse next week so will ask then. I know when they did my underarm needle aspiration they said that two were involved, but will they take them all? That is what is scaring me the most (well that and the op) she said as far as the breast surgery was concerned it will be a 5cm sphere? It is 27mm at the moment, is a sphere a circle? It seems a lot to me, but she said she wants to make sure the margins are clear. I am trying not to 'Google' anything - that can be really scary, and I am that already! I am going to ask more questions next week - the ones I should have asked my oncologist, but she kept holding my hand and I ended up in floods of tears! Don't ask me why, kept thinking she was going to hand me some really bad news! Anyway, so glad you posted on here, happy your doing great and keep in touch.....Pauline x
Nadz

Hi hidip, i'm completely new to this site and was immediately drawn to this thread, I hope I'm not interrupting you and JoJo. But I just wanted to let you know that I had a lumpectomy and lymph node surgery 3 weeks ago. I only had to have the one node removed however. I was nervous on the day, but I found the staff amazing,also, the administration of the GA is super fast, I remember speaking a sentence and thats it. It is only a day procedure so you will be discharged in the evening, You will sleep on and off for the next few days. I was like yourself, not too concerned about the lumpectomy, but very frightened of the lymph node surgery. After it all i have been concentrating on just doing all my exercises. I would recommend in investing in a post surgery bra as these will ease your recovery. Not much help, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your fears and doubts xx
hidip

Hi jojo, thank goodness, wondered what had happened! Glad your ok, do you have to go to your appointments on your own?  My oncology appointment was last Monday, it was a long day, 3 hours we waited, I was a nervous wreck, still am! I don't know how you get through all this......she said the letrozole was slowing down now, time for the op! She was holding my hand all the time, made me worse I think.  I don't think it's the lumpectomy that's bothering me (not much) it's the ALND I am frigworriehtened of.   My daughter said she would have a talk to my oncologist about that, but she said that's what she recommends.  I don't know if I can do this, (I only say it 100 times a day) but I know I have too.....help......my daughter says I can, and I will be ok, but I'm afraid I'm not behave at all, although I am going to mention the pac when I see the surgical nurse next week - I did ask for a pre med - but she said because it's day (or maybe just one night) I cannot have one.  How on earth will I get to theatre, I'm already anxious.  You must be very strong to do all you have, I feel ashamed of myself.  My daughter nurses in a hospice, she says she's going to take me there one night, but I don't think it will make a difference I am too soft by far. It would make me worse. I am however glad your ok, and that you let me know, your nearly there......wish I was.......have a good rest, you deserve it! Pauline x

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

Sorry I haven't posted before now, I found having the colonoscopy followed immediately by the radiotherapy absolutely exhausting. I really needed a day in between. Colonoscopy was not too bad, slightly painful but didn't take too long. They removed 4 polyps and sent them for histology. So waiting for those results, can't quite remember what they told me about getting the results as I was still groggy from the sedation when the consultant was telling me, but next week I will get my Macmillan nurse onto it. My brachytherapy the next day was back at the Hammersmith, and of course my notes had not arrived from Charing Cross for my 10.30 appointment. what a surprise! Eventually they were faxed at 12.30 and the treatment was started. Not painful, thank goodness. I was very nervous as I hadn't had an internal since the surgery but it went Ok. By the time I got home I just went straight to bed. I live on my own and was too tired to even make a meal. Slept most of Friday too, and really only started to surface yesterday. Ah well, one down, three to go!

Do you feel any less anxious now you have your date for surgery? How do you feel about waiting till after Christmas?

All the best to you.

Love

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi jojo, are you okay? Please let me know how you are, getting worried.  I hope everything went OK for you, you have come so far.  Thanks for your suggestions so far for me, re pac etc.  (Although I think I need hypnotising myself) I have been thinking of you over the last few days......Pauline x

hidip

Hi jojo, good luck and hugs for your procedure today, I will be here and thinking of you.  Please let me know how it goes.  I had my appointment on Monday, I arrived at 3 40pm and was seen at 5 30pm, talk about nervous wreck!  I had an ultra sound and it has shrunk by 2mm, so it's really slowed down now, last time it was 33% - she said, well it's done its job, and even though the shrinkage is small, it's not growing or going anywhere else.  She suggested either lumpectomy or mastectomy with auxillary nodes removed, the decision was mine.  I choose a lumpectomy + radiation.  I was shaking, and close to tears, she held my hand, and said, people usually get tears after not before.  My date is January 13th (hope it's lucky for me!) I think I am more worried by the nodes being removed ....... She did say 1 in 5 will get Lymphodemia if that, quite reassuring.  I am still worried about the pain, but she has made me an appointment with a surgical nurse in the next week or two for any question, it's an hour appointment, so will let you know.  Although, I am sure you know as much already.  I hope you are okay and let me know how you are........Pauline x

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

I remember lots of picnics in Werneth Park when I was little, we lived just off Manchester Rd, near where Chamber Rd joins it, but other side of the main road. 

I have a suggestion about your surgery. You could discuss your worries re pain with your surgeon before the op and ask if you can have PCA, patient controlled analgesia. In case you have not had this before or seen it, it's a thing attached to your drip that allows you to press it whenever you need pain relief. You can't OD as they set a limit, but it means you don't have to ring for the nurse and wait whilst they fetch it. I had it when I had my mastectomy in 2012. 

I think you will cope better than you imagine, it's all this waiting that magnifies your natural anxiety!

Lots of warm hugs,

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi jojo, not sure if she will give me a date, like you said, the waiting is the worst......(I hope) I keep saying to my daughter, I can't do this (surgery) she says, yes you can! I am afraid I won't cope with ALND surgery, so, hopefully she can reassure me- I certainly hope so.   I live in Hollinwood, just past Werneth Park.  I can't imagine how you must be feeling, you have, at least, got your surgeries over with.  I don't understand were this anxiousness has come from- I definitely wasn't this bad before my last surgery, no way as bad.  Evwoneryone here is talking about Christmas, and mine might be spent in hospital - I  Pam more worried about node removal and the drains, but if I can get my hands on oramorph - i will, my daughter keeps telling me I'm not soft, but beginning to wonder! I think it's more emotional this time for me.  Anyway, back to you, I hope you are ok, I think you will sail through all this, your a lot stronger than I am, I will be thinking of you too......keep in touch Pauline x

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

I lived in Chadderton, went to Chadderton Grammar on Broadway. How about you?

I know what you mean about Christmas, I can't get interested, I've done nothing yet.  I have got my date for colonoscopy now, it's on Wednesday, then radiotherapy starts the following day. Eek! 

Do you think you will get a surgery date on Monday?  I hope so. Waiting like this is very difficult. But it sounds as if you have a supportive daughter and that's good.

Do please let me know what happens on Monday, I'll think about you as I start my bowel prep (really looking forward to that!!)

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi Jojo, I live in Oldham! Where a outs did you use to live? Which school? I am sorry about the delay in your radiation treatment, and that your feeling sad. I wish I could help. I too am really anxious regarding my surgery (no date yet) I have an appointment on Monday with my oncologist and for an ultra sound to see if further shrinkage - I am also anxious about ALND surgery, don't want to get Lymphodemia - I am really anxious. I went out Christmas shopping yesterday and ended up sitting in a cafe with a hot chocolate, couldn't face it! I wish this was all over (for both of us) I was not even remotely this anxious prior to my hysterectomy, so, even though my daughter keeps telling me it will be fine, I am still extremley anxious about thus operation. I had my grandson from nursery at 12 yesterday, then went to my mums (she's 90) and made her tea, got home at 7pm - so today, daytime telly only! I hope you are feeling a little better today .........Love Pauline x
JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

How are you today?

I am originally from Manchester, well Oldham, but I have lived in London over 40 years. Almost a native! 

I am supposed to start radiotherapy on Thursday next week, but have to have a colonoscopy first and time is running out! I have a reserve date of Dec 7th for the colonoscopy, but that means radio would have to be delayed and I would finish on Christmas Eve. So everything is up in the air! I'm finding that very difficult, can't plan anything, can't get interested in Christmas, feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Jojo

xxx

hidip

Hi, thanks jojo, I suppose i have had 6 months to overthink all of this.  My daughters are great......but some days I feel like running away.  Thanks for putting my mind at ease, i thought you were just given paracetamol after for the pain.  My daughter has said she will ask my oncologist to sign me up for oramorph for after (before and during,) I was told I would be having ALND but will ask why?  I know after my one stop breast clinic (mammogram -ultra sound with needle aspiration - and breast biopsy) that it was grade 1 with two nodes involved, so not sure if they will take them all.  I am glad your hysterectomy went well, we have both been there - opposite times.  I have two sons at home, they are very good, but not great talkers.  My daughters are married, and both work, in hospitals!  Not got that from me......Let me know how you are with radiation etc, I wish we lived nearer, but we can chat here, thanks jojo, feeling a bit more at ease now........Love Pauline x

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

Its no use me telling you not to worry, that just insulting. But I will say l really don't think it will be as bad as you think. You will have morphine on the first day, and if you are in pain tell them and they will give you more. Don't suffer in silence. I was really worried about the drains, which sounded dreadful, but really more of a nuisance than any thing else.

love and warm virtual hugs 

Jojo

hidip

Hi, so glad your okay, please let me know how your going on....My appointment with my oncologist is next week and I am so very nervous.   I am so anxious and scared of lumpectomy (hopefully after 6 months on letrozole) and node op.  I had a total meltdown in M&S on Saturday, just watching people doing there Christmas shopping, my son hurried me back to the car, did not know how to console me at all.  I came home and went to bed for an hour, felt a bit better.  I am anxious about the lumpectomy and node op.....I am sure that I wasn't this bad before my hysterectomy.   I did have a spinal so no pain at all.  I keep thinking I will awaken to horrendous pain, more in my armpit than breast.....but I have read that people only need paracetomol and ibuprophen......I was thinking of asking for morphine!!   I don't know why I am so anxious, my oncologist has said its a much smaller op and I will be fine,,(not working) think my mind is taking over....at least yours is now over, I live in Greater Manchester, so quite far away.  At least we can keep in touch via this site....please let me know how you are......Love Pauline x

JoJo11

Hi Pauline,

well I had the hysterectomy on October 8th, I had to be referred to the Hammersmith as it was a bigger op than my local hospital could. I unfortunately went into atrial fibrillation after the op so they kept me in a few days.

i feel fine now, much better than I expected to be! I'm seeing the oncologist next Monday as I will have to have radiotherapy.

How are you doing? Have you got a date yet? The waiting is harder than the treatment in my opinion!

I'm in west London, where are you?

Big hugs coming your way,

Jojoxxx

hidip

Hi jojo how are you doing? Are you managing ok - I have been thinking of you, hope you are ok - please let me know. Thanks for letting me know about the lumpectomy - I am still very anxious ( been in letrozole for 5 months now) hopefully to shrink it - it had shrunk by a third in August, have another appointment in November , so it's the waiting, and the anxiety before surgery, everyone says it's very doable but still scared. Let me know how you are.... We might even live near each other? That would be good.....love Pauline xxx
hidip

Hi1981mum - how are you doing? When is your surgery date? I have a 3.5cm breast limp that has been shrinking with letrozole it has shrunk by a third- I am extremely anxious about surgery as I am older at 66yrs - think it's the waiting and not knowing what to expect - although people do say it's very doable. Hope everything works out well for you. ....love to you Pauline xx
hidip

Hi Jojo, thanks for your reply.  My hysterectomy was for a torsion that had twisted, no idea what it was at the time, the consultant said it was a cyst, but until I had my hysterectomy, he couldn't say if it was cancer or not, turned out it wasn't.  The operation was fine, had a spinal, so no pain at all, just wanted to sleep all the time! When I got home, after 12 days, (because of pneumonia not op) I was just tired.....I managed ok, although I have two sons with me - one took a week of work, so he could help me out, but I was fine, and you will be too. I suppose if you live alone you might make some soups etc, but to be honest, apart from tiredness i coped just fine.    I am much more worried about the lumpectomy it's just above the crease of my left breast, and two nodes are involved, so they may take some or all, don't know yet.  I am worried about the pain, and the drains, but from what I have read on here it's not too big a deal.  Just the waiting, won't know til end of November how much the letrozole has continued to shrink it.  You seemed to cope ok, and lots of others have too.  I think my mind is in overdrive , my son said, stop thinking about it so much, if only!  Thanks for your reply, it helps knowing that others have coped.  I think they might have to sedate me to get me there.........let me know how it all goes for you........you will be fine........xx

JoJo11

Hi Hidip,

The lumpectomy surgery is not too difficult, are you having the nodes removed at the same time? I had more trouble with the incision site for the nodes than the actual breast. The only painkillers I had were paracetamol, and only for about two days, it was no where near as painful as I had expected. Try and walk about as soon as possible, and sit upright as much as you can, as this helps prevent pneumonia. I had my lumpectomy in 2007, then a mastectomy in 2012 due to a recurrence. Now  I've just been diagnosed with endometrial cancer and my hysterectomy is next week. If you don't mind me asking, was your hysterectomy for cancer? Any tips on support needed afterwards, I live alone and I'm a bit worried about that.

I wish you all the best for your surgery.

Jojoxxx 

hidip

Hi, was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer 3.3 cm in May 2015, but due to having total hysterectomy 3 weeks prior was put on letrozole for 3 months to await healing from my surgery.  I returned to breast clinic on 18th August, and on having breast examination by consultant, was asked to go for a ultra sound scan - already had biopsy etc initially, I was told that it had reduced by a third, due to letrozole.  The surgeon has suggested I remain on letrozole for a further 3 months, to reduce it further.  I am 66years old and absolutely petrified! I asked the surgeon if a lumpectomy was possible and she is reviewing me in November, there are 2 nodes involved and I am diagnosed as Grade 1.  - my question is, what is the lumpectomy surgery like? I contracted pneumonia after the hysterectomy and was very ill.  Now I am petrified (to put it mildly) of another impending surgery.  I have two wonderful supportive daughters, but still scared.  Thanks to you all x

Jobey68

It's done under a general although I did meet a lady who had hers done under a local but only because she had a heart problem so wasn't safe to put her to sleep, your not out for long and I woke up a few hours after walking down to surgery feeling fine and able to get up and walk about like almost nothing had happened, I was on my way home less than two hours after walking up, it's a relatively minor op and I had no post op problems, I'm sure all will go well xx
Suzie55

Hi 1981mum, I had my lumpectomy on Monday and apart being sore and a bit bruised I'm ok.

If you need any further info please ask, good luck with everything, Suzie x

RuthieG

As far as I know it's always a general anaesthetic but it's usually done in day surgery so you'll have the op and should be home the same day.
1981mum

Thanks for the info and experience sharing
So it's a toss up between a local and General anaesthetic ? Depending on your individual treatment plan
I'm hoping for a local , I can barely feel the lump now so chemo must be working x