Did you mean: 

Lumpectomy

11 REPLIES 11
Isabel70

Re: Lumpectomy

Hi Elijones

I have had a lumpectomy to remove a small lump but have got to have another

lumpectomy for pre-cancerous cells next Thursday.   I had the choice of

either having an auxiliary clearance or radiotherapy.  I have opted for the radiotherapy

as it seemed rather drastic to have all the lymph nodes removed.  

emz680

Thank you Nickif. I hope your treatment is going to plan and you're on road to recovery too xx
nickif

Glad you feel better about things now...and Well done on Thursday for your last Chemo xx
emz680

Thanks everyone. My last chemo now is the 14th January and my op is on the 18th February. Spoken to the surgeon and feel a bit better about it. Though all you guys helped a lot too 😊 month after my op been told 3 weeks mon to Fri of radiotherapy I hope after that... that is the end....
maureenI dle

I had bilateral lumpectomy nearly 12 months ago and had no pain immeadiatly postop. However by SNB scars took quite along time to heal and was a difficult area to apply a dressing. I found wearing a vest and thus preventing the skin rubbing the best way to promote healing.Good luck with everything and try to keep positive
emz680

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me everyone I feel so much better knowing about this from people having gone through this.
Hope you are all better soon and continue to get stronger and stronger xx
Eiljones

I had a lumpectomy for pre cancerous cells with two small areas of microinvasion but did not have any lymph nodes removed, so they do not always remove any. It must all depend on how high the risk of it having spread is.

Jill1998
Community Champion

No you don't stay in overnight.I think they take everyone's sentinel nodes (the nodes that the cancer drains into (between 1 and 4 )) to test just in case they have not picked up on ultrasound any potential spread.
emz680

Thank you Nicki and Jill that makes me feel a bit better 😊 I'm guessing from what Nicki said you don't stay in over night. Also lymph nodes mine are fine do I still need this done? My cancer is at the point of fragmention I have been told and I have a marker inside my boob.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Em,I had similar experience to Nicki.Op is not that major or painful ,most painful is removal of lymph nodes under arm, not surgery to boob.Risk of fluid build up (Seroma ) but that can be drained by nurse.Its not something to be too stressed about at all.My husband commented "I thought you'd be a lot more laid up than this"..,,,
nickif

Hi, I am nearly 3 weeks post lumpectomy. The op itself isn't too bad, about an hour in theatre. I had mine at 4pm and was leaving hospital at 7.30pm. I was last in :(. Next day I felt fine, but then I had an ifection and over the days a build up of seroma so had to have it drained a couple of times. But speaking ot the other ladies everyone else had no problems so I must of been the unlucky one!! My lymph node biopsy has been the most painful, I wasn't expecting that. the good thing is my scar is underneath my boob so no one will see it. 😄

emz680

Lumpectomy

Hello everyone one my name is Emma and I'm 35. My cancer is shrinking hurray and I've done 4 chemotherapy out of 8. I'm hoping that on my next assessment I just am told that I will have surgery and no more chemo. I am supposed to have a lumpectomy after the 8th chemo. Has any one had a lumpectomy and can you tell me what happens. I just wanted a person going through it point of view. Thank you everyone x