cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumps in both breasts - one month wait for Breast Clinic appointment

5 REPLIES 5
Mummy02

Re: Lumps in both breasts - one month wait for Breast Clinic appointment

Hi francis223 , I have also been referred to the breast clinic , I have only had to wait just under two weeks for my appointment and I am being seen next week at llandough , what happened when you are there do you go straight in to the mammogram , do you speak to someone first ???
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your messages. I think the guidelines must be different in Wales as it will be 7 weeks from my initial doctors appointment to the date I get to be seen at the Breast Centre.
I did return to the GP first thing this morning and really wish I hadn't bothered. I saw a very patronising male doctor who, without examining me, told me that there was nothing more they could do to bring the appointment date at the Breast Centre forward and that I would have to wait.
He asked me what it was that I wanted to happen - I told him that I was worried and would like to be seen sooner. He told me, 'You're worried that it's breast cancer' in the most condescending, patronising tone of voice. He told me it was highly unlikely to be cancer given my age and that it was a good sign that there was a surrounding larger lump around the small lump.
He also told me that clinically, one month wouldn't make much difference and told me to wait. He said I could go private but that he wouldn't bother.
I left quite upset and am not sure how to proceed, other than to try and put the worries to the back of my mind, stay busy and wait til the end of June. I certainly won't be returning to see that doctor for anything every again.
catseye

Very good advice from Daisypegs, but I would just add that I thought that NICE guidelines are that all new breast lumps are seen at the breast clinic within 2 weeks. (At least this is the case for England and Wales, not sure about elsewhere). So, it might be worth ringing your GP and discussing this with them. Waiting is the worst part, so I do hope you will be able to be seen sooner. Good Luck X
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Francis. I found a lump about 3 weeks ago and was referred to the breast clinic. I was in absolute despair as I thought the doc would say nothing to worry about. However, i found out that this is normal procedure with any lump found in the breast. You need to be seen by the experts. On speaking to friends and colleagues it is amazing how many have been to the breast clinic or knows someone who has. After two weeks of worry I had a cyst, which they drained straight away. The wait is the worst part of all. You will worry, but keeping busy is good and as everyone will say don't google. Stick to the support and info on here. Remember that a high percentage of referrals are nothing serious. Good luck and keep us updated.
D x
Jo_BCC

Hi Francis223

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site who I am sure will be along soon to offer you that much needed support. In the meantime could I suggest you give our helpline team a ring, they're here to support you. They're just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2. I have also put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful to read before your hospital appointment.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-...

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Lumps in both breasts - one month wait for Breast Clinic appointment

Hello, this is my first post. I am 32. I am looking for some support and just to share my concerns as I want to avoid worrying family. I found a small, rounded lump in my right breast - on the right hand side near my armpit - at the beginning of May. I had a doctors appointment and a referral to the Breast Centre at Llandough hospital one week later on the 10th of May.
At the doctors appointment, I had two doctors examine me, they found another lump in my left breast. That feels more like a collection of small lumps joined together now. The first doctor simply wanted me to keep an eye on the lumps, for any changes. She went to fetch another doctor (more experienced, older lady doctor) who suggested I was referred to the Breast Centre. I was told that I wasn't being referred as an urgent case and to expect to hear in two weeks by letter for an appointment. I was advised that it was a good sign that there were lumps in both breasts, but these to me, feel like very different types of lumps.
I still hadn't heard anything from the Breast Centre by today so I decided to call the Breast Centre myself to chase up. I was put through to the First Appointment desk and was told that the reason I hadn't heard anything as yet was because they hadn't reached my referral paperwork yet, but that I could make an appointment over the phone there and then. The earliest appointment I could make was for June 27th, which I confirmed with her straight away. I was advised that the appointment would take 3 hours.
I am feeling quite teary this evening, have had another feel of my breasts. The small lump that I initially felt on my right side is still there, it feels like a rounded, frozen carrot, about a cm long. Next to it, there feels like another hardened mass, another lump that feels quite strange. I am getting scared to feel the left breast now and just want to ignore the fact there are lumps at all.
I am unsure whether to go back to my GP and ask whether I can be seen sooner by the Breast Centre or simply accept the wait and try to stay busy.