1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumpy breast after surgery

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Lumpy breast after surgery

Havent been on here for a while just coping with the chemo and probably being over busy to keep mind off it all. I was surprised to find that given good results I had to have chemo and radio therapy followed by a year of herceptin injections and then tablets for the rest of the five years. Apparently this is preventative measures. My cancer was HER2+ so is receptive to hormones and the chemo is to mop up any stray seeds the radio therapy is to kill off any tiny roots and the herceptin and tablets are to block any hormone that could feed any new cancer. So good resullts don't mean you necessarily get off lightly but the surgeon told me I was lucky to have a type that is treatable with everything so I hope he is right. Don't feel that lucky at the moment but if I survive into old age I will know that I was!!!!!

Hi sheba,It is reassuring to hear that other ladies have the same or similar symptons as you have yourself isn't it.When i had my WLE and sentinel node removed and left the hospital the same evening i was told to take pain relief for a few days ,i sort of expected to be virtually back to "normal" within a week or so .As you said they don't really tell you what to expect do they.I also had clear margins and no sign of cancer in my sentinel nodes ,it was in fact grade 3 but was told it was grade 2 with my first  biopsy report ,I see the oncologist  Tuesday 10th June for my plan,i am not sure if it will mean chemo yet,were you surprised that you are having chemo as you had a good op result, did you have a CT scan or any other scans done?Any info would be welcome, i know everyone is different ,but i am trying to prepare myself for Tuesday.Love Ellies

Hi, so pleased that I read this thread, I had reduction to my rt breast at end of March (Mx to left in Nov 12) and have a lump which is very tender at times, I too have been told  I am all clear but was getting panicky, but seen my lovely nurse today,-I'm the same don't like to bother them, she says it appears bruised, ? have I been knocked etc. but as the hot feeling and redness have gone, she thinks it is necrosis which will go on its own,  but like you say Sheba56  I do wish that they had told me more about how long the healing would take. I felt quite good a few weeks ago but now feel back to square one. And getting an appt with my GP is a nightmare- over 3 week wait.!!!

Thanks to everyone.

Thank god for this thread.

I have been driving myself mad for the last month or so. I had lump removed April 10th and was told ten days later that all was well no lymph nodes safe margins etc. But I had a haematoma (hard lump) this would be reabsorbed in a few months. It is getting smaller but there is definitely tenderness in that area and where the sentinal lymph nodes were removed for biopsy that is fine somedays and then really tender on others. I too keep thinking maybe the cancer is growing. I have had two cycles of FEC 75 chemo and that also seems to make under arms etc tender.

I wish they would spell out how long recovery is going to be and what is normal. I have a real problem bothering the clinic as I know how busy they are so it is great to hear others are experiencing the same symptoms. Thanks to all and the people who run this fantastic site.

Hi KM,Thanks for that info,you learn something new virtually every time you log on here,I have quite a lot of lumps and bumps some of which are quite painfull,i see the oncologist next week and i will ask her about them.I hope they are nothing to worry about.Thanks for your reply ,take care and keep well.Love Ellies x

Ellies, I was back at the hospital today, I had a hard lump just above my scar from my Mx in Sept. It wasn't there at my yearly check up and mammo in April. Turns out it was a knot!  I got an ultrasound to check it out as well. I asked my surgeon to remove it as I couldn't stop touching it, he wasn't desperate to do so, but gave me a local injection and then removed it with an apple corer device!  It was a little fatty lump, they will send it away for analysis but that is just because it was removed. He certainly didn't push for this to be done. It is still quite soon after your op, and I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. There is a lot of healing going on inside as well as out. Keep massaging the sore areas with bio oil (and your scars too), and it will help relieve any discomfort which can go on for quite some time. 

Hope this helps

KM x

Hi Wendy,thanks for that ,my mind is in overdrive ,i keep worrying that it is the cancer still .It is very reassuring to hear that you have the same thing,thanks very much for that,keep well ,Love Ellies x

Thanks for your good wishes. I will post again when my next results come in. 

I think I worded my last post poorly, I did mean lumpy underneath and around the scar, not just the scar itself.  Let's hope everything settles down quickly for you, especially if you are having RT soon.

X

Hi Pinky,so sorry to hear you didn't get clear margins,it's bad enough having one WLE let alone two.It's not my scar thats lumpy ,it s my breast .some lumps are quite hard ,i keep worrying that it may still be the cancer .I really wish you well ,hope you get a better result this time,please let me know how you it goes Love Ellies x

Hi ellies

My lumpectomy was 12th April and is still lumpy and bumpy! I had my post op check last Wednesday and they were really pleased, lumps and bumps to be expected for a few months as it takes a while to heal.

I also have a little bit of tenderness which they said is also abbsolutely normal.

As long as you have no redness or the scar looks "angry" i wouldnt worry, but maybe get your breast nurse to check it for peace of mind. Im sure you are fine.

Hope this helps

Wendy xx

Hello Ellies

I am four weeks post WLE and like yours my scar is lumpy underneath and still painful sometimes, especially if I have used my arm too much or have lifted something heavy. I don't think it is anything to be overly concerned about. If it feels hot or looks red like an infection might be starting I would say get it checked out.

Unfortunately for me I did not get clear margins and have to have another WLE soon, so will be back to square one again.

Best wishes

Lumpy breast after surgery

Hi Ladies,Ihad WLE surgery and sentinel node biopsies 3 weeks ago,Luckily i had a clear margin with no node invasion ,what i am concerned about is that my breast is still quite painfull and very lumpy ,should i be worried about all the hard lumps i can feel under the skin around my operation site?i am still bruised and in places still swollen .I see the oncologist next week so hopefully i will know what treatment i shall be having .Any thoughts or views on this would be very welcome.Thanks very much .Love Elliesx