Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lung and liver mets from start - totally fed up

3 REPLIES 3
SP0

Re: Lung and liver mets from start - totally fed up

Katherine,

I too had a double whammy diagnosis in Nov 11 (details on my profile). 

Having remained quite strong during chemo, I fell over psychologically & emotionally for a number of weeks afterwards.  Others here reassured me at the time it's quite normal.  You muster your strength for treatment and afterwards are left wrung out.  For us with secondaries, the emotional and psychological issues are more complex, and I think post chemo, It started to really 'land' for me.

By 3 months after chemo I started to feel more positive.  I asked everyone I could for help and support.  The BC nurses refered me to psychological support services.  The psychologist said remember the chemo poisons cells in the body, including those that affect emotions.   I got fee weekly counselling support from a local   cancer charity, that Macmillan refered me to.   I just tried to keep going even though I wasn't interested - eating, walking, reading a little bit each day and eventually it started to lift.

I still have difficulty getting my head around the future, but there are lots of positive stories here to inspire us.  A breakthrough moment for me was meeting a few others with secondaries through the 'meet up' section.  It was a revelation that they looked well and have lives, even though they are further down the line than me.

It may help when you start to work out what your new 'normal' life looks like, when you're ready.  Hang in there, it will get better and eventually you'll start to find some joy again.

Sarah.x

sarahlousie

Its certainly a huge shock to be dx with both primary and secondary all at the same time, I understand exactly what your going through I went through the same back in 2011 2 weeks after being dx with primary was dx with mets to both lungs , I did 6 months of chemo, mastectomy and radiation. I'm on herceptin forever and tamoxifen. I  think  the reason your crying all the time is that at dx your in shock ,all you can think about is  getting on with the treatment you've finished the treatment and now its all kind of sinking in well thats  what happened to me you will get through this stage, take one day at a time and try not to dwell on the past or the future. I live for the moment because thats all any of us has actually got whether we have cancer or not. Its hard on all of us and we find our own strategies for dealing with it,  personally I threw myself headlong into research and have completely revamped my lifestyle including diet and what supplements I take I found it helped me make sense of and take control of the massive amount of conflicting information out there on this subject.  I promise you this crying stage is just that a stage you will come through this you are mourning for the loss of your old care free self this is an absolutely natural reaction to a devastating dx. There is always hope and you can find lots of encouragment from others who are still standing and fighting this disease even tho they have been living with it for a very long time 10, 15 years!!! If you want to chat please private message me. Sending you lots of love and light Sarah xxx

Sam_BCC

Hi Katherine2701

Sorry to read you're struggling at the moment.  I'm sure some of the other user will be a long soon to offer you their support and experiences. In the meantime may I suggest you give the helpline a call and talk through how you are feeling with a member of staff there.  They will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday tofriday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Faciliatator 

Katherine2701

Lung and liver mets from start - totally fed up

I've just finished chemo and have to undergo radiotherapy in three weeks and for some unknown reason I feel totally fed up! Just when I should be happy to have finished chemo I can't stop crying. I got the news I was stage iv in April. I went straight to stage iv so it was all a shock but can't understand why I keep crying now.