Lupus + breast cancer+ herceptin/taxol

I am 47 and was diagnosed with breast cancer just before Christmas, initially thought to be DCIS but following mastectomy in January I was found to have cancer in lymph nodes and chemo planned. The situation is complicated by the fact that I already have a serious rheumatology (lupus like) condition which means I have had to use a wheelchair for the last 18 months because of muscle inflammation and weakness and have been on immunosupressive tablets to try and stop my body attacking itself for over 10 years including drugs also used as chemo for the last 15 months or so. I was extremely unwell with muscle inflammation last year and spent nearly 2 months in hospital in the march/april. I had a flare of my lupus illness pre and post mastectomy because I had to stop some of my treatment for the surgery and anaesthetic and was still unwell when I started chemo. I am oestrogen negative and HER2 positive and had 2 cycles of EC but got life threatening infections after each so this has been stopped when it had been hoped to give 4 or if possible 6 cycles. After much debate and a range of opinions I am due to start herceptin and weekly taxol next week and if OK on this will have carboplatin weekly as well. There is however alot of concern because I already have a peripheral neuropathy and this is a common side effect of taxol. What experience do people out there have of taxol and whether it caused nerve problems in them. Is there anyone else who is also managing another major illness as well as breast cancer? Thanks for any advice or experience anyone can share. xx

Hi I too have Lupus diagnosed about 12yrs ago which was in semi remission until breast cancer came along begining of 09.! I had lumpectomy and clearance of lymph nodes in March.My lupus flared post op lots of inflammation and pain especially in op sites.Started chemo FEC x 4 struggled with blood and neutrophils being very low so chemo was put back about a week each time but got through it! Had a break approx 6wks which turned out to be a mistake by research nurse as oncologist wanted 2nd chemo regime to start after 3wks! I found myself flaring also got chest infection after a cold,felt like my immune system was running riot. Started ALLTO trial which is weekly Taxol and Herceptin and daily Lapatinib ( trial drug ).I have had 3 so far but not going too well as side effects are effecting me quite badly ie, bleeding nose,numb toes,but most worrying are the headaches with muzzyness feeling that my head is not attached ( alot of vacantness)! It has been agreed with Prof that i will try to persevere as long as poss.He explained that Lapatinib unlike Herceptin crosses the blood /brain barrier and therefore should zap any rogue cells there!
Here’s hoping that we will be Lupus free as well after all the treatment.