Lymph Node Clearance

Hi, I had my first operation on the 18th October - Lumpectomy and 5 x nodes take, was told lymph nodes testing during op were negative. Recovered well and went back for my results to find that the lumpectomy had gone fine and still only a level one but they had found 1 small cancer cell in one of the lymph nodes were testing in the lab.  So Ive just had a full lymph node clearance which was last Wednesday - what a different operation to the first one!   - much much more pain and discomfort, as any one else found this? doing my exercises is really hard work - but doing them.  My arm is still quite numb around the arm pit area I am presuming this is quite normal.  Been very emotional this time round and hoping for good news when we go for my results next Thursday, seems such a wait. Nurse is coming this morning to check dressing and wound up to now no swellings. Its a lovely sunny day so I am going to get wrapped up and go for a walk.  Staying positive and strong.  Dale xx

Hi DD

Sorry to hear you’ve been in so much pain this time, but good to hear you’re doing your exercises.  I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication ‘your operation and recovery’ which I hope you find helpful.  Our helpline team are also at hand if you need to talk to someone in confidence, they offer both emotional and practical support.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi DD I’m surprised that your surgeon opted for a lymph node clearance. I had 4 nodes removed and was advised that I had micro cells in my first node but the other 3 were clear. Because the 3 following nodes were clear my surgeon didn’t see any benefit re clearance. I’m starting chemo on Friday and rads once I finish chemo so I guess they’re of the thinking that this will mop up any stray cells which MAY exist. My surgeon doesn’t think there were cells in the remaining lymph nodes though. I guess they may have opted for clearance if you’re not having chemo or rads. Good luck with your recovery. Tracy XXX

Hi DD I had the same op as you Jan 2012, it is much worse pain wise and the numbness can always stay that way, my underarm is still like that but I don’t notice it as much now, also you will getting shooting pain in your breast area this is from the nerves that have been cut under the arm all totally normal, my advice to you is to keep up with the pain relief and do the excercises every day keep that arm warm as I found cold air kicked off pain so I used a wrap over my shoulders if we went out to say a resturant some times the air con is drafty.
look after your arm I don’t put my hand in really hot water. I wear gloves in the garden becareful with any scratches or bites on that arm, Cry as much as you need to, its a great stress relief for the body and again it’s totally normal to feel down. Talk to your BC nurse they are a great help in how to get through this tough time, sending you cyber hugs x