Lymph node clearance

Had a lymph node clearance yesterday and today I have this awful burning pain that keeps coming and going it’s so painful it makes me cry. Does everyone experience this or do I need to see a doctor? I had a mastectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed 4 weeks ago but the pain was nowhere near as painful as this x

Hi Leanne,

I found my lymph node clearance to be tougher to recover from that my mastectomy and recon. I think it’s simply that the incision is in such an awkward and tender place and the removal of all the nodes in the axilla is quite invasive. It will get gradually better so just rest up as much as you can and have people look after you. It probably took me about three weeks to get over the clearance although I certainly started to gradually feel better during that time. I’m sure what you are experiencing is normal. Blooming irritating though isn’t it!!

Hang on in there.

Ruth xx

Leanne, i had my lymph node clearance on 3rd January. It’s still very sore. I think this is more to do with the seroma under my arm and in the breast area which hurts a lot even though it seems ok to touch. The surgeon reviewed me on Thursday and said that it’s probably at its worst two weeks after surgery. So I’m hopeful it will improve, although it hasn’t done so yet. I’m juggling painkillers to minimise constipation! Not a happy time. Although there was no cancer in the lymph nodes they took the second time so that’s all good. I think that they have to rummage about in the armpit and that is what leads to more soreness and the seroma which didn’t happen with the SNB and WLE. I’ve got a compression bra which is supposed to help. I bought a second one so I could wash this one. I looked on Amazon and they were £130-£160. I got one for about £91 from Claire Woodhall. She was very helpful. She took off the vat (because I needed the bra because of surgery) and also gave me a 10% discount. I am sure it will improve but it does take time so don’t be discouraged and hang on in there! It’s a slow process the second time.

Hi Leanne

i had a lymph node clearance on 3rd January. It’s still very sore but I think that may be more to do with the seroma which has developed as the wound is healing well. The surgeon saw me on Thursday and said that the seroma is often at its worst around now so should begin to improve. The breast care nurse gave me a compression bra which is meant to help. I went onto the internet to buy a second as I wear it 24 hours and thought it would be nice to have another so I could give them a wash. Amazon had the same one but quoted between £130 and £160. I found a website called Claire Woodhall which enabled you to buy without paying the vat which is a big saving. She was very helpful and also had a 10% off offer so I ended up paying about £91. The procedure was more painful than my WLE and SNB but I guess they have done more rummaging around in my armpit which is a sensitive spot. I am hopeful that it will improve. I rang the breast Care nurse when I was worried and this was helpful.

on the plus side my nodes were clear this time. Just hang in there and don’t expect it to be as straightforward as the SNB.

hugs