366612posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymph node removal

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Lymph node removal

Hi Welshlady66 i had a lumpectomy on the 5th Apr and my tumour has also been sent to America (California I think) this is so that it can go through the oncotype dx testing. There is some good info on this website about it. There are certain factors that they have to consider to decide if this testing is used or not. I may be wrong but think they only do for hormone positive and early stage. Do you know when you will get your results? I have an app on the 27th Apr so think I will find out then. Hoping for a low score and therefore only rads but will see. Good luck with your results. Lou xx

Hi I have invasive ductal carcinoma grade 2 stage 3 with 2 sentinal lymph node cancerous had level 1 and 2 cleared not sure if they took more but now have to wait for them to send my tumour sample from lymph nodes to america for testing to see if I need chemo before radiation and hormone therapy so another 2-3 week wait has anyone else had this done, confused whhy its gone to america,

Hi I've got expanders in at the moment to prepare for the silicon implants at a later date

i thought it was unusual but was told it does happen

just wish I hadn't been given the decision but it's the only way to definitely know if any more are involved and if there isn't any more I'll have put myself at risk for nothing 

on the other hand if there are more I'll be even more worried than I already am that it may have travelled elsewhere !

Hiya

I had a double mastectmony on 15th December, invasive lobular and then after the mri scan they discovered a completely different cancer in the left boob. ductular.  They said it was unique so was surprised we had the same.

Lucky though my lymph nodes were clear but if they hadnt been would have had the surgery, its just not worth the risk.

Have you had reconstruction yet ? 

Thanks Annie, hope you continue to do well and wishing you a speedy recovery. X

Thanks Jules, I wish you a speedy recovery & the best of luck with your results. X
Community Champion

Hi WMJ, I had WLE and full node  exision two weeks ago.  Drain is a nuisance, so get a little bag to loop on shoulder and then you can carry it and gave hands free. Do exercises to avoid build up of fluid and get mobility in arm. Bio oil is working for me in keeping the scar supple, and arnica is reducing the bruising considerably. Shooting pains as nerves knit seems to be the norm - no worries there. Numbness under arm because main nerve is disrupted will be permanent . Least of my worries !

Fragrance free bath stuff, and little baby wash cloths for dabbing underarms completes my daily doings 😄

Good luck. X

Hi,

my ultrasound didn't show any cancer in the lymph nodes either, I had right side mx and 4 sentinel nodes taken on Feb 1st,  2 nodes were cancererous , was advised to have node clearance which I had 27th Feb I'm still awaiting results of how many were cancerous I get my results 31st march, showering is difficult the first week because of the drain I sat in the bath and just avoided that side and used fragrance free deodrant wipes gently under my affected arm but once the drains out showering is fine, good luck with your op a lot of discomfort to start with but after 4 wks I'm starting to feel better 🙂 x

Meant to add.....
My initial concerns are showering and using deodorant after the surgery. Clearly not looking forward to the operation, the after effects etc. However all part of my road to recovery and just want to get to the finish line, as we all do. X

Hi,

I had a  small lump successfully removed (less 1cm) in November and although the ultrasound showed no signs of an issue with my lymph nodes a biopsy showed differently. 6/7 removed were cancerous, I was shocked by this and told I needed a lymph node clearance. I am just coming to the end of chemo and due to have a lymph nodes clearance on 10th May. I also will then have to have 15 sessions of radiotheraphy too. After speaking with the surgeon I am expecting that after 2 weeks I will start to feel better and should be able to drive, but it will be around 4 weeks until I am feeling significantly better. I am grateful for any experiences and happy to share mine.

X

Hi thanks for your input. think I am going for removal don't think they would have suggested if they didn't want me to do it 

take care

Hi Nicola

I had a full auxiliary node clearance at the same time as a mastectomy as  a couple had showed up as 'thickened' on a MRI. I had 26 nodes removed and 2 were cancerous, which isn't too bad. I recovered very well after surgery. I have a bit of tightness now at extreme range of movement that I'm trying to work through but otherwise all is well. Worth if for peace of mind. Good luck to you with your decision. 

Hi thanks for the reply yes they just took the sentinal node and my thoughts are that if they have given me the choice to remove all the nodes then that would be the thing to do otherwise they wouldn't mention
Just another hurdle we were hoping my not to have
Community Champion

Hi Nicola, when I had biopsies done, pre surgery, 2 of 3 lymph nodes showed signs of cancer. It was explained to me that  the lymph nodes are your knights in shining armour. They are the defence of the body . However , mine were positive and I was advised to have them removed, which I did - all of them. I think Lymphodemia is preferable to the cancer spreading. The scar is under the arm, and although uncomfortable, far more than the lumpectomy, it is very neat. I am doing all my exercises religiously, and fingers crossed everything will be ok. For me it was no contest. I am Grade 3, ductal ER+. The tumour was 2cms.

You say ' the lymph node' - not sure what this means as there are loads in there. Is it the Sentinal, or is it just one affected? Has your consultant advised you on a preferred pathway , and left the final decision to you?When I was discussing pathways I got hold of my consultants hand and asked him which route he would advise his mum. I felt I got an honest answer and went with that. 

Goid luck with your decision. X

Lymph node removal

Hi
Im new to this forum and a week ago had a double mastectomy for lobular cancer. I had the results yesterday and they now tell me that one side was lobular and the lymph node was ok but the other side was ductular and the lymph node was affected.
Therefore I had 2 different types growing independently
They have given me the option of having the lymph nodes on that side removed giving me a 40% chance of developing lymphoedema
Has anyone else had this surgery?
My thoughts are to have the surgery
Thank you