cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymph

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Lymph

Popping in from on other thread just to say that some hospitals don't drain. What was said to me is your body needs to get used to moving the fluid so we only drain in those cases where it has become a real problem. It's strange how hospitals work different,y.

Good luck with treatment.

Pam x
Highlighted

I too have a Seroma (build up of fluids) under my arm post surgery.  I had surgery on 11th June but didnt contact Breast Care Nurse until last Friday.  She said to wait over weekend and if it hadnt gone down she would drain it for me.  It didnt go down and became more painful so yesterday I went through to hospital and the Breast Care Nurse drained it for me, such a relief and the procedure didnt hurt!  She did say that it may need doing several more times before it stops.  Already this afternoon it is filling up again so I will get it drained again tomorrow or Thurs.  The Nurses are wonderful and will be happy to give you advice if you call them.

Hope you dont suffer for too long, but its nothing to worry about and a quite common side effect of nodes excision under arm. 

Best Wishes

Sandra x

Highlighted

I agree with the rest of the replies contavt your BCN. I was aspirated 7 times and now thank goodness it is going well including the tennis ball under the arm. Some of mine was alos felt to be lymphoedema which can be treated so well worth checking. Hope it goes well.

Highlighted

I had mine syringed too for a couple of weeks. Give them a call as you need to get your range of movement.
Highlighted

Hi Clem, my nurse used to aspirate mine about once a week, but it was only done about 3 times and I didn't need it again. I think you should ring your BCN and see if she can help. Take care, CC x

Highlighted

Hi clem

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your post yet.

It might be helpful to talk this over with one of our Helpline staff.  They will be able to offer you information and support.  They will be open again tomorrow (9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays).  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Highlighted

Lymph

Hi - I had a lumpectomy on 8 June and unexpectedly all the nodes out as the cancer had spread, but shown up with pre-surgery tests.  I had a drain for a week, never got down to the 70 ml in 24 hours recommended before taking out the drain but they didn't want to leave it in any longer.  Now have a lot of fluid under my arm - feels like a fist in there, making it hard to bring my arm down to my body. Anyone else experienced the same thing?  How long before my body finds a different way of processing the lymph?