cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymphodeoma arm care

5 REPLIES 5
Bahons2

Re: Lymphodeoma arm care

Malta in May sounds lovely....I think it's a good idea to get hold od some just-in-case antibiotics, Starfish. A bit of peace of mind...

I also think you're right about the aqueous cream....I imagine the last thing you'd want is an allergic reaction on a dodgy arm.

However, I have to put my hand up and say that I suppose I tempt fate and use artificial tan on my arms - the one that gives you a light colour very slowly (is that Johnson's?) - and so far I haven't had any problems.

Another 'suck it and see', perhaps?

X

S

starfish

I am going to Malta in May. I understand I should get antibiotics from my GP to take just in case. Is this correct?

Also why aqueous cream. Cannot any old cream be used. Is it in case of an allergic reaction.

Many thanks

Bahons2

I think you've done exactly the right thing by slapping on the antiseptic asap.

Not every injury to a lymphoedema or 'at risk' arm turns into cellulitis.

I think it would be a good idea to keep a very close eye on it and also to go to:

http://www.lymphoedema.org/lsn/

where you can print off a copy of the concensus document for cellulitis management (which includes detailed information on which antibiotics should be prescribed, for how long and at what dosage) and keep it ready to show to your GP if you have any problems at all (such as your arm getting very hot or red or suddenly swelling a lot) And if you do have problems, ask for an emergency apointment.

X

S

Sam_BCC

Hi Mum2Two

As Lynni has mentioned it may be worth just checking with your G.P.

You may also find the BCC booklet has some useful information, which may be helpful. You can find this by going to the following link:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Lynni

Hi Mum2Two

You've done the right thing applying antiseptic cream. It maybe worth seeing your doctor for antibiotics in case of infection, not sure about this, but someone will be along I'm sure with some more helpful advice.

Hope it settles down quickly for you.

Take care

Mum2Two

Lymphodeoma arm care

I have mild lymphodeoma in my arm and chest, which is generally kept under good control by a sleeve, gauntlet and taping. Thankfully, I've not had any problems with infection or celulitus.

Two days ago, I went out walking, and have been bitten on my bad arm, in the shoulder area, but bugs.

I've applied antiseptic cream, and am resisting the urge to scratch (just), is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks, Rebecca