Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymphodoema and broken wrist.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Lymphodoema and broken wrist.

Thanks Helena 

Yeah  she did stay with me and was very apologetic but she has no idea what she has done x

Highlighted
Community Champion

whitelily

Oh that is unbelievable stupid stupid woman, I hope she apologised and stayed around to see if you were ok!

Sending you hugs and hope all goes well tomorrow

Helena xx

Highlighted

Have had lymphoedema for 4 years was on way home from work Friday decided to pop to shop to pick up loaf of bread when some stupid woman came running out the shop at high speed she ran straight into me knocking me off my feet which caused me to land on my lymphoedema arm and I now have a broken wrist!! Can't believe this I am due to go back to hospital tomorrow to have new plaster put on. I am so concerned that all my hard work keeping the swelling under control will now be wasted and worried about it now getting much worse.

Highlighted

Thanks Fever,i will have a look at those. Glad your arm didn't react too badly either.

Dx

Highlighted

Hi Midge

That's weird - the same thing happened to me. I broke my wrist in my lympho arm at Christmas and like you thought the sky would fall in.

As it turned out, I didn't have any swelling, though at my next lympho appt, my arm measured bigger. One thing that I have found very helpful for the stiffness and pain in the wrist is a 'Back on Track' wrist band. This is a black elasticated wrist band cointaining (I think) ceramic which warms as you move around and keeps the wrist very mobile and pain-free.

I wear mine with and without my lymphodema sleeve and it has really helped (I am a dog groomer so I use my wrist all the time, so it was a very good result for me.)

Highlighted

That's good to know Midge. Poor you. What bad luck!

Highlighted

Lymphodoema and broken wrist.

Hi

Just wanted to post this for reference in case it happens to anyone else- although I hope it doesnt.

7 weeks ago I broke my wrist where I have mild lympho. Luckily I had my sleeve on and I immediately got my husband to wrap my arm in a cold wet tea towel and kept it as raised as the pain would let me. ( I knew it was broken because I wanted to vomit everywhere). This stopped it all swelling too much.
I told the nurse at a and e I had lympho and she carefully peeled my sleeve off to examine me, got me into x ray as quickly as possible. They decided that as it was not a bad break and because of the lympho they would not operate. So I got a cast and was sent home.

It was really painful because they did not put the cast on tightly in case of more swelling, so I went back the next day for a tighter cast. I tried to get it all moving as quickly as possible, but found that the top of my arm and trunk def became more swollen so I did daily sld on every part I could. My Lympho nurse advised me that the break would prob make the swelling worse when the cast came off.I had regular x rays to check it was healing correctly, but was told having had chemo it would take a long time.

The cast came off after 5 and a half weeks ( because I was going on holiday) and I got an extra large splint to support it when I wanted it. I used it on and off for a week and wore my sleeve all day. My nurse said I could go and be fitted for a new sleeve if my arm had got bigger after the cast came off, but so far it seems to be no bigger, except slightly around the wrist. I do have some pain with certain movements, but nothing major. Will update this if anything changes.

I just wanted to post this as when it happened I completely panicked and thought I had completely blown it with my arm. So I thought a post charting what happened might be useful for someone else if it happens to them. Of course all breaks are different but it doesnt have to be a disaster.

debx