Lymphoedema & Reconstruction

I have quite bad lymphodema at 54% but I would like a reconstruction possibly next year. Has anyone who has lymphoedema had a reconstruction? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bumping up your post starfish.
I would be interested to know this too, as I am in the same boat.

Hi Starfish and Peppapot, I have lymphoedema and am going for recon on 21st July, next wednesday!!! Surgeon has not suggested that this would cause any problems so I am keeping everything x’d. Will report back in a week or two. Inky.

thanks Inky, I have refused recon for now. Im not ready for more surgery a year on LOL!.
Im not sure if I will always feel this way though. So the lymphoedema question has always been a factor and fear of making it worse.
Best of luck darl, i hope it goes really well for you. xxx

hi, i have lymphodema and have opted for tummy option as apparently due to them not mulching about too much under the arm moving skin through its less likely to cause problems - so fingers crossed x

Hi all I had mastectomy and immediate recon last October and now have lymphodoema. I attend clinic and they use strapping tape and massage to relieve it. It’s not horrendous but iget fed up having this swollen chunky sensation below arm and to side of breast. It also causes undie problems and I often resort to support vests.
Not sure this helps any but there ya have it xx

Hi starfish
I have lymphoedema in my right hand and breast after wle and node clearance in 2007 followed by chemo and rads and herceptin. I was told the lymphoedema developed as a result of the rads. I am now scheduled to have a mastectomy and strattice reconstruction next Friday, following a development of a cluster of precancerous cells in my last mammogram. I am mostly concerned that the lymphoedema may hamper my recon and also that it may also develop in my right arm. Its bad enough having an inflated breast, and thats before the implant! My plastic surgeon also didnt seem too worried about my swelling so hopefully it will be okay, will get back to you afterwards!
Cheers, Annabelle xxx

Hi all,
I had a mx 2005, removal of lymph nodes, radiotherapy and had no probs with lymphodema.
I then had a prophalactic mx and bilateral recon with expanders 2006.
After this surgery, I develped some redness over the affected side, and ended back in hospital because I had a PE 10 days post op(tamoxifen induced???). They told me that I had cellulitis/infection of the affected side, treated with antibiotics intravenously, warned me they may have to remove implant(they didn’t have to).
About 1-2 months after that, I noticed some swelling when I put my arm down and was diagnosed with trunkal lymphodema. I was seen by the lymphodema nurse who explained that I probably developed it possibly due to the additional surgery of recon and most definately by the infection. She explained that any additional drainage of fluids which the lymph nodes need to clear, as in surgery/infection can, but not always, be the “final straw” for a side already at risk due to reduced lymph nodes.
I am not trying to put anyone off because i have known people have recon and extra ops to “tidy up” and not be affected at all, and then others who will develop it straight after mx. However, I think that everyone should be aware of the risk(I wasn’t).
My lymphodema nurse explained when the lymph nodes have been removed that side will always be " at risk".
Plastic surgeons who are dealing with breast recons all the time will be well aware of the risk of this and am sure that they will do all that they can to avoid causing any further damage. When I was “deconstructed” and had to have my expanders removed 2 years ago, I was really worried about the lymphodema getting worse following the surgery and expressed my concerns to the surgeon. He was fantastic about it, said he would do as little as possible in that area, and thankfully, it did not worsen.
Is there any possibility of making an appt to see your local lymphodema nurse in your area, and speak to them about any risks, or any particular strategies that you can do to help prevent it developing? This way, you can make an informed choice, and be ahead of the game to do all you can to prevent it in the first place.
When I developed it, I did a lot of swimming and touch wood, it seems to stay in the trunkal area and I have only the odd MLD when it gets too uncomfy.

I hope that this helps,
XXXXXX