Lymphoedema & long haul flights

I am doing a long haul flight this summer. I have mild lymphoedema in my hand for which I occasionally wear a glove.

Yesterday I got a sleeve too that I can wear on the flight as a preventive measure. There is not much evidence about the risks associated with long haul flights (the risk is due to the reduced pressure in the cabin) so there is no definitive guidance here. But the consensus seems to be that if you are at risk of lymphoedema it might be a good idea to wear a sleeve on a long haul flight, as well as doing exercises to keep the circulation going during the flight.

You need to start wearing the sleeve a few weeks before you go, to build up your tolerance to it, so some planning ahead is needed.

If you use one like this, you need to put the sleeve on before you leave home, and leave it on for a couple of hours after the flight finishes.

Incidentally I have read that scuba diving is good for lymphoedema - presumably for the opposite efect - ie increased pressure?

Thanks for this Roadrunner

I don’t have lymphoedema but got a sleeve just in case, however I didn’t get any advice about putting it on before or trying it out in the run up to the flight.

I am pleased to say that with the sleeve, drinking lots of non-alcoholic drinks and making sure I was active on the flight I didn’t get oedema of the arm or the legs.

Wizz

Hi both

I think you’re right that they think the reduced cabin pressure can have an adverse effect on our arms. And our feet, too!

When you think about how many people there are without lymphoedema who get off aeroplanes with swollen feet and ankles, I reckon it makes good sense to wear a sleeve.

I have read that if (if?) it’s difficult to move around during a flight, alternately pointing your toes out straight and up as far as you can works your calf muscles and helps to pump lymph all over your body.

I think you’re right about the scuba diving, too. Swimming is good for lymphoedema and ‘at risk’ arms, so scuba diving ought to be even better. Incidentally, Cancer Research UK have done some trials with Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy to treat lymphoedema. I don’t know if the full results are out yet, but I believe that preliminary ones were encouraging.

X

S

I recently went on a 10 hour flight to Miami and was stuck right in the middle of the plane next to a lady that didnt need to use the loo for 8 hours and a man that slept for 10 grrrrrrrrr!!!

I put my sleeve on (which I rarely wear normally as I detest it) 2 hours before and after the flight. Had no extra swelling whatsoever.

As I was trapped in my seat I did the excercise that Bahons mentioned sharply raising your toes towards you and back. Alternate bum cheek clenching and releasing, and foot circling in both directions. The details of these and repetitions should be in the inflight info on the back of aircraft seat. Have to be done each hour.

Wishing you a fabulous trip from Judy x

Hi roadrunner
I was diagnosed with lymphoedema in my arm/hand in November, after finishing my chemo last March and followed by 25 rads last April, then finishing my 17 herceptin in December 2008. My oncologist finally signed me over to my local hospital team in January, and my next check up in in July. I was okay until I picked up the lymphoedema and was referred to my local hospice which has a lymph clinic. The nurses there are fabulous and answered all my questions and worries about everything, so I was looking forward to our long awaited holiday to Australia in February. I was initially given a sleeve which made my hand puff up a bit, so they gave me a glove to wear instead and was much better, especially when using the computer at work. When I asked about flying such long distances, they advised me to always wear my glove but the sleeve was voluntary and the nurse said that if it made my hand swell, then to take it off as it was too restrictive. Try and do some massage when you go to bed to relieve any swelling during the day. I didnt wear my sleeve at all over the 4 weeks away, and only really wore my glove at night, or when travelling, as it was uncomfortable with the heat during the day.Have a fabulous holiday and my only advice would be to make an appointment as soon as possible when you come back so that you can address any problems straight away. Hey, the worst that could happen is that you have a fatter hand/arm for a while!!!
Annabelle xx

Hi Annabelle

And welcome to the lymphoedema board - don’t think you’ve posted before?

Thinking back, one of things that has bothered me most about flying with grotty arms is how uncomfortable the arm rests are - and how sore they have made my elbows in the past. I always try to take some thing to act as a cushion (as well as those prophylactic antibiotics of course) now, even on short flights.

It sounds as tho’ you have fabulous treatment in your area for lymphoedema - lucky you! (Perhaps we should all move there! ;-))

From personal experience I think I would say that it’s best to do your utmost not to let your arm/hand swell, even on hols, for lots of reasons…

One is that we have not all been so fortunate in our lymphoedema services as you - getting referrals and appointments can be a real headache in certain areas.

Another is, even assuming prompt access to treatment, that increased swelling is not so easily reversible for some people as others.

And finally, the bigger the arm, the bigger the risk of complications such as cellulitis.

Gosh, I sound really negative, don’t I? I don’t mean to be, but there’s so much inequity of treatment around for this condition, a vast postcode lottery in fact, that prevention of any problem whatsoever is better than treating it simply because there is little or no assistance available for so many.

Anyhow, really glad that you are being well looked after and had a fabulous holiday with no problems.

X

S

Bumping up for Irene