Lymphoedema prevention for gardeners - advice?

In particular, can you recommend gardening gloves? I am in the early stages of the ‘beat the BC’ process, having had a WLE and SNB just over 2 weeks ago, will see oncologist in August about chemo. Unfortunately, it is my dominant arm which is affected - I have a large garden and am very concerned about how I will cope with it (I am on my own). I am already in the habit of covering up, not being out in the hottest part of the day, and wearing gloves for most jobs, but have occasionally (pre-treatment) had thorn pricks through gloves, or scratches, which in the past were not a concern, but I must be even more careful now.

As you know gardening gloves must not let thorns through, but need to be thin enough to be able to grasp a small weed/plant effectively. Also, as I am likely to be reaching past thorny things, they need to have a long cuff to protect the wrist below the sleeve.

Any other useful gardening experience would be very welcome.

Hi LuckyLass

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication for Lymphoedema which I hope you find helpful, also the link to the area of this website where Lymphoedema is discussed further.  Our helpline team will be only too happy to talk to you about your concerns if you would like to give them a ring, 0808 800 6000

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/reducing-risk-lymphoedema-bcc15

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/long-term-side-effects/lymphoedema

Take care,

Jo, Moderator