332837posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MARCHING Together

Re: MARCHING Together

Hi Sharon

So sorry to hear your sad news. You're right it's a horrible disease. My father died from non Hodgkin's lymphoma and bone secondaries, horrible. My sister had BC in 2012 and then me in 2015, my other sister is petrified she might get it. Casts a blight over so many families. I suppose having a large family has it's blessings and its curses. I've had the cast taken off my wrist now but it's still very painful. Fed up, as we'll be moving house in a month or so and I could do without a hammy hand. Hoping the business sale will go through at the end of September so we can retire and have a well earned rest! Sending love to all you other lovely ladies. Xx Francine

Thanks Eileen, I'm sure you're right and it's just one of those things that all families face, just a bit exaggerated in ours because it's so huge! But on the other hand, having such a big family is fantastic whenever any of us need some support so it works both ways.  I suspect it all feels a bit worse than it would otherwise because my hormones are now well and truly out of control, this menopausal malarkey isn't a whole lot of fun is it *repeats to self: Power surges not hot flushes* Woman LOL

xx

Sharon

Life just seems to keep kicking us in the teeth sometimes Sharon. I do think  growing older means people get cancer whereas in earlier times they died before that happened. And in big families there is bound to be more people it happens to. Sorry you are having such a sad time at the moment. Take care. 

Love Eileen xxx

Thanks Rosemary.  Feeling particularly low as I have to tell my sister about our aunt tomorrow (my sister will be just back from her holiday) and I know she will be devastated as she is even closer to my aunt than I am,  Also, it was her who raised the genetic issue when one of our other aunts died so I know it is worrying her and that this will panic her completely.  Just wish I could protect her from it all.

Oh Sharon, so sorry to hear this. Bloody cancer. Both my grandmothers were taken by cancer but different ones so I never considered anything genetic when mine came along. It's a hateful, horrible disease and you must be feeling overwhelmed after your own experience and then having to cope with all this family sadness.
Please continue to rant and share on here. It's a good, safe place as we all know and we all love and support each other as best we can.
Love you xxxx

Hi lovely ladies,

Hope you don't mind me offloading on here, no need for replies, just wanted to let off some steam really. I'm posting on here rather than FB as I am connected with relatives on FB and they don't all know yet about what I want to say.  A relative, my dear Aunt, has just been diagnosed with late stage lung cancer so we're all reeling a bit.  Went to a different Aunt's funeral last Friday, also cancer, so it's bringing back all sorts of angst for me (my Mum was one of 16 children and so far we've lost 4 to cancer of different types).  I HATE this awful disease! I just wish there was something I could do to help but I know there just isn't.  Also, selfishly, I'm wondering if we have some sort of dodgy gene in the family or if it's just normal to lose this many relatives to cancer.  They are all in their 70s or older now so perhaps it's just normal.  Sigh.  Getting older is much more difficult than I thought it would be.

Anyway, sorry for the morose post, just feeling low this weekend but sure I'll pick up again soon.

xx

Sharon

You found me! Didn't realise I have a blonde imposter! x

Oops - think I just contacted wrong person! xx

Hopefully I did ask the right person to be friends! Blonde woman with tall son? Suebeehoney will look for you too xx 

Hi All! I would love to connect on Facebook too. Suebeewoods. Bucket List visit England Smiley Happy maybe one day!

Have you found us yet? Not that I'm impatient or anything!!!

Thanks Rosemary and Sharon - nicer to connect apart from the BC thing! xx 

And I am Rosemary Berry, profile is me with my son propping himself up on my head. Look forward to meeting you on there! Much more immediate than on here xx

Hi Eileen,

You can find me on FB under sharonjager.54 and connect with everyone else that way?

With you on the cake thing too, I consider myself more of an expert eater than a baker!

xx

Hi all,

How do I find you on Facebook?  Not so sure about cakes - once when I was involved with playgroup we organised a cake sale. As it was my turn to be chair that year thought I'd better show willing but my effort looked very un-appetising. It sat on the stall , unloved and unwanted, until the end when I was forced to buy it back! So you really wouldn't want my cake!!

Hope everyone well and enjoying the sun - and wind. Don't remember a summer being quite so windy as this year.

Love Eileen xx 

Good news, Francine. Bet you can't wait. My son was once in an ankle to thigh cast through summer. You should have seen the colour of the water after his first bath - all that sloughed skin. Eeeuughhh!
Over on Facebook Sharon is bullying us all into making and bringing cakes with us to the Big Meet! So far the plan is to meet up at a landmark of her choice in or near Kings Cross at 11 or thereabouts. On from there to somewhere for a nice lunch then we can decide what we want to do after that.
Very excited! xx

Hallo girls. How are we all? I'm looking forward to getting rid of my cast, whom I've named Bertha! It's been very hot and itchy especially in the hot spell lately. You just don't realise how much you need two hands. Thank goodness I have my OH to help me, get dressed and showered. Should be OK for our meeting up in October which I'm so looking forward to. Xx Francine

Hi Eileen, I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering if you'd retired yet. Going to be a big, and emotional, last day for you so I hope it goes really well and is a wonderful celebration of all your hard work over the years. And now there'll be even more time for all the fun things in life, woohoo!

Francine I hope you enjoy your visit, anything planned in addition to the lovely restaurant? I guess you'll have to do what Eileen says and ask for soup or pureed veg, unless your daughter is prepared to cut up all your food for you so you can eat one-handed (personally I don't know why we don't all just eat with spoons, it would make life much easier!)

Been trying to think of a landmark near Kings Cross where we could all meet but struggling a bit as there isn't much around there that I know of. Might just have to be in the station itself but I'll keep thinking.

xx Sharon

Oh No Francine! You seem to have had such a run of bad stuff over the past couple of years. Lets hope life improves. You don't want to be eating soup that's for sure. Looking forward to meeting everyone in October. Hope Pandorra can make it too. Sharon you seem to be on the case as usual. 

It's my last day of teaching today so all very strange. Realised yesterday  I am really going to miss friends and colleagues here at college but not the teaching so I am sure it must be time to go. After 24years it is going to be weird though. 

Love to everyone - see you in October.

Eileen xx

Excited now! Off to London this weekend, for daughter's birthday, cast and all, did I mention that I'd broken my wrist? Not the greatest thing to be wearing in the heat, oh the itching! Going to posh restaurant so not sure how I'll manage with the food, hoping to find something I can eat with one hand! Francine x

This is really going to happen!
It looks as if there is a majority coming into Kings Cross. May I suggest we meet there initially? Say 11:00-ish and go on from there? There must be some kind of landmark we can congregate around? Unless you can come up with something more suitable, Sharon?
I am beginning to really wish we were doing this in 3 days time rather than 3 months! xxx

Hi Francine,

I'm here anyway but I have to travel through Kings Cross/St Pancras to get anywhere so if you want me to meet you en route I'll be happy to do that.  If anyone else is travelling on their own and wants me to meet them at their station I can do that too.  Just need to think of a good meeting place now so that'll be my job for tomorrow Woman LOL

xx

Sharon

Highlighted

Evening all

ticket book, arrival into London Victoria at 1030,

Cx

I'll get my trains sorted then. X

Judi and I will arrive there. Around 10:45 ish xx

Think it will be Kings Cross/St Pancras for me but I'll check. Anyone else coming in to there? Francine x

Quick headcount: Judi, Sharon, Francine, Eileen, Cheryl, Beryl (I love putting those names together!) and me. And Sue Bee in spirit too. We must find a way to send her some photos.
Pandora? Any chance you could join us ?
So excited xxxx

Woohoo! Soooooo glad you're coming Francine and it'll be lovely to meet you Eileen as it feels as if we're old friends already.  I'm afraid I can't promise not to start flashing my boobs if the conversation should happen to go that way....or I've had too much wine! Although even after one glass of wine taking my clothes off requires more coordination than I can usually manage hence why I've woken up fully dressed many times in my youth Woman LOL  

Just waiting to hear how the other ladies are travelling into London and then I'll get my thinking cap on in terms of a good place to meet.

xx

Sharon

I'm in, can't wait to meet you all. Sharon and I went to The Breast Cancer Care Candlelight Carol Concert together last year, which was lovely, so I'll recognise someone! Lunch sounds lovely, I will try and resist taking my top off, it was touch and go in the Fracture Clinic last week, lol

I will get to Liverpool Street first x

If everyone posts their arrival point we can arrange where to congregate and move on from there? Or we could all meet up at a lovely lunch place? What do you think? xx

Hi Rosemary, will do.  Are we looking for somewhere just to meet initially when we all arrive in London before heading on somewhere else or were you thinking of somewhere where we can loiter over a lazy lunch for a couple of hours?  Ooh, getting really excited now!

xx

Sharon

Hi. Judi and I have booked trains arriving into Kings X just before 11:00. I'm guessing we may all be coming into different stations? Sharon, as our London resident, can you decide on the best place for us to gather? Francine, I really hope you can come along too. So far I think we have Cheryl, Judi, Sharon, Eileen, Beryl and me. Have I overlooked anyone? Judi and I have booked return trains about 6:00 so should be enough time to have a really good natter.
We need some kind of identification sign to recognise each other. No, exposed scars would NOT be appropriate!!! Rolled up newspapers, carnation buttonholes, rads tunics?
So very excited! xxx

Hi Francine Woman Very Happy

Yay, good news re your business.  Are you going to retire straightaway or are you planning a less intensive job for a while?  I imagine it must be a bit of a relief to know that you won't have to worry about work so much at the same time as dealing the with hormone treatment?

We settled on 4th October (Rosemary has sorted it all out for us) in London and I think she's getting in to London at 11.30ish so I really hope you can make it too, would so love to see you again and it'll be good fun to have a proper catch up.  

Ouch re your wrist, you're not safe to go out on your own! There wasn't alcohol involved was there? Woman LOL  

xx

Sharon

Hallo everyone. Haven't been on for a while as I've been busy putting my business up for sale. Pleased to say that I've had an offer at the asking price and hopefully will have completion by mid September. Can't wait, so looking forward to OH and I  taking a holiday and planning our retirement. Pleased to say my follow up mammo last month was clear so It's just continuing with the Anastrazole for the next 5 or 10 yrs, whatever they decide. Bit of bad luck though, tripped over an uneven pavement last weekend and broke my wrist. Incredibly painful and I'm in a cast for 5 weeks. I could trip over a pin honestly. You don't realise how much you need two hands til you only have one. Can't even go to the loo on my own or put my bra on. Thirty years ago having my husband helping me to get undressed would have been quite exciting! 

How is everyone else doing? Do we have a date for a London meet up yet. 

Love Francine xx

Hi SueBee, so lovely to hear from you and I hope you're doing OK?  Is your treatment over now or still more to do?

Sure we'll raise a glass to you and all the other lovely Marchers who aren't able to come to the get-together so you'll be in our thoughts.  Tough times create incredible bonds don't they, will never forget the help and support you and all the other Marchers gave me then and now.

xx

Sharon

Hi all lovely ladies!
You make me wish I could take a trip to London in October! I love all the positive excitement. Wish you all the best!
Sue

Hi Beryl *waves at you madly* so good to hear from you and to know that life is going well.

Really pleased you're up for the get-together and I'll be more than happy to meet you at whichever train station you arrive into London from if that helps.  Think a good old chinwag will be great and I'm looking forward to meeting you all Woman Very Happy

Hope the wedding is a lovely day for all of you and you'll be able to show us some photos when we meet up. And woohoo for smaller cup-size, wish I could say the same (mine are getting more lopsided by the day but both are still nuclear weapon grade huge! Woman LOL)

xx

Sharon

Oooh - not checked in here for ages - life keeps gettiing in way but a meet up sounds great if it's possible for me to tag along as well. A long chatty lunch sounds great.

Bit unsure of finding my way around London by myself , will give it a go though!

Looks as if I have some reading back to do!!

Showed my cancer war wound to a friend today - first time - guess I'm well over it all now. I am so much better since I have been on different medication - the fog has gone - YAY

Daughters wedding in 2 weeks - stress levels are sky high at present - good thing we don't live in the same house!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and buying a new bra for wedding outfit found I have gone down a cup size - that's this weeks good news.

back soon

Beryl x

The job's yours Rose, although I think you might be a bit overqualified to be honest Woman LOL  And shall we keep that nice Mark Carney as Governor of The Bank of England as he seems a sensible sort of person (and it never hurts to have a bit of eye candy around the place either does it? Woman Tongue)

Think we all might have to take on several roles in the short term given the turmoil so can I be Minister for Culture, Media & Sport as I've been to the theatre more than once, I know how to use Twitter & FB and whilst I'm hopeless at sport, people who know about these things tell me that I could do at least as well at managing England's football team as the last one did!

xx

Sharon

Plus I have A Level French, German and Latin. I consider myself eminently qualified.
Or maybe my years in Banking should steer me towards the Chancellor's job. Then we could be neighbours!!!
xx

Go for it! Result will be announced in Sept so you'll have your feet far enough under the table by 4th Oct to be able to take a day off. Can I be your foreign secretary, please? I fancy swanning off round the world being entertained at banquets? What roles would you other ladies want in Sharon's government?
xxx

So, lovely Marchers, you remember joshing me about running for Prime Minister? Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL  Well since I'm quite passionate about saving the NHS, among other things of course, I figure I should throw my hat into the ring now as I reckon I have as good a chance as any of the other contenders. My political party is going to be called The Panglossians and I hope you'll all join and campaign with me because I think the country needs us! 

xx

Sharon

Think that date should be OK for me too xx

That's fab and hope some more marchers are free. I shall also be flashing my oopherectomy scars, all 3 of them too!!! Am in final week of employment and then am officially retired, volunteering with Macmillan and as a governor at a local school which is great. It's a primary school which is lovely.  Am booked solid for July including a week looking after the grand children,,so very excited about that.  Wishing everyone lots of love and hugs and looking forward to marchers meeting in October X X x

ps rose....found my password, x

Yippee! That's 4 of us which is a great start.
May start looking at booking trains so I will be fully committed!
Can't wait to meet you all xx

Hi Rose,

4th October is good for me so I've pencilled it in my diary already.  Like the idea of a long gossipy lunch, just need somewhere that won't get too outraged when we all start flashing boob scars (wonder if the Royal College of Surgeons has a restaurant along with their fab museum? Woman LOL)

All digits crossed for you Francine, hope they surprise you by getting you a quick and completely good news response.

xx

Sharon

Hi. Hope they arrive soon (and are good). For once my hospital came up trumps. Results were available within an hour of the mammo. After all the extended waits I've put up with along the way that wad a bonus. Also shows it can be done...
Anyhow for anyone interested in a meet up: Judi, Cheryl and I propose Tuesday 4th Oct? How is that for everyone? I haven't got as far as looking at times but I think my earliest one gets into Kings Cross about 11-ish. We could go for a loooong lunch and a natter or whatever we feel like doing?
I really hope we can get this sorted. We have more than 3 months to do it. Synchronise watches, ladies!
Love from a very excited Rose xx

Well hopefully results next week. Every
time a white envelope drops through the door my heart does a flip! It's cruel I think to have to wait so long. Just keeping busy and trying not to think about it.

A weekday in late September sounds good to me  - especially as I am RETIRING !!!! Wah hay ..... ....

Love to all . And good luck with results Francine - 3 weeks sounds like a verylong time to wait xxx