Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRI freaked me out ..

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted

Re: MRI freaked me out ..

Hi helenstevo,

Just wondering how you are doing? I had my MRI scan today and my SLNB op yesterday so I am about a week behind you.

I have my Echo tomorrow (heart ultra sound) and Friday I have bone scan. So everyday this week except Thur I will be up the hospital.

Hope you are ok xx
Highlighted

Sorry betty my results are next thurs 7th not this thursday xx
Highlighted

Hi betty. ive had that appointment too but was told theyd call me v soon to go in next week for an appointment with chemo nurses, he mentioned blood tests, muga tests & "other" tests but i havent a clue what will happen apart from the definite blood tests at this appointment, oh & the pellet in my tummy to try protect my fertility, anybody had this too? X
Highlighted

Hi Helen how did today go?

Not sure what tests you have for chemo? I had Oncologist appointment yesterday where the chemo treatment was explained to me. I had my height, weight and blood pressure checked. Then I had to be examined again by Oncologist...breasts, neck, armpits, collar bone and back. Maybe this is the chemo tests or if anyone knows if anything else we are to expect? Xx
Highlighted

Bella your response made me laugh, I too never got a husband, I put my own bins out and deal with spiders.  I think one of the worse things about the MRI is having to keep still it is difficult to keep thoughts under control when you can't move

Jane

Highlighted

Hi. i jad my sentinel lymph node biopsy op on tuesday. i am in quite a bit of pain. its bruised swollen tight (was glued outside with internal stitches) & stiff. i should start my 8!!! Lots of chemo on 11th if scar has healed. i am petrified how ill i will feel as a single parent. i get my slnb op results thursday. i have further tests next wk ready for my chemo. any idea what these tests will be?? Im also having a pellet injected to my tummy to help try & save my fertility. good luck with it all xx
Highlighted

Hi Helen,

I am about to go through all these tests next week so you are asking all the questions I have been asking. I am exactly the same where I need to know exactly what is going to happen then I can be more prepared for it.

The minute I was told I had to have MRI, CT and Bone Scan I was petrified it had spread too. I have been told this is routine for everyone but it still doesn't put my mind at rest, I am constantly on the internet trying to find out more.

I am 33 and this is now day 6 of finding out I have grade 2 breast cancer. Everyday I have had letters through for scans or blood tests or appointments, it really has been up and down this week. I've had a few little cries and one breakdown that lasted 10 minutes but a couple of beers got me through the night. I really hope you're coping alright xx
Highlighted

Oh ok so its in the areola. ok i can apply if before i go then. thank you for the info. at what treatment will i know if it has spread ie to my lungs? The nri i had, the sentinel lymph biopsy or further?x
Highlighted

Hi Helen

It's perfectly understandable that you want to know the details of what's going to be done, it's your body after all. I am exactly the same. They should have  given you an information booklet about the snb, most hospitals produce them but if you search on the web you'll find copies. 

The radioactive injection does go in the areola I recall, I was sent up to the radioactive dept soon after I arrived for the snb, so maybe you could apply the  emma cream before you leave  for the hospital? Ask your bcn.

Mary

Highlighted

I had biopsy needles in breast which is fine but ive always suffered with my nipples being tender so im so worried that they put the radio active needle in them?! So the dye needle goes in after your general so you dont feel it? Im terrible, i just like to know exactly what happens each & evrrytime i go in for something then im ok when i know exactly what to expect! I have emla but without knowing where the needles going id have to smother myself in it lol. you have to put emla on quite a while before for it to work. ive had mri today, does this also scan your lymph nodes? I am just so petrified it has spread. i have been for a while now been struggling to breath & pain in lungs, ive been to the dr so many times over the past 2yrs to be just told ill be fine, so worried its spread to the lungs! I nelieve its uncurable then. xx
Highlighted

If you are worried about needle/pain there is a local anaesthetic cream called Emla that can be put on the skin beforehand. X
Highlighted

Yes free tattoo curtesy of the NHS.
Highlighted

Hiya

Glad it went ok and the line was in your arm.

For a sentinel node biopsy , snb, the radioactive injection is given before the op and the blue dye is given after you have gone under the anaesthetic.

For me, I had it done early September and I still have some blue on my boob, but I think it varies from person to person.

They should have given you some info about the procedure at the hospital.

Mary

Highlighted

All done. phew! Went in arm. not too bad. next worry is the sentinal lymph biopsy op. apparantly they put blue dye into your nipple?!!???? Owww. is this true & is it kept in or just a shot? Then do you sit an hr before being put under for op? Omg!!! X
Highlighted

Mine didn't go in my hand, it went in my arm and I hardly felt a thing. You will get through this! Sending you a hug.

Highlighted

Hi

I hope I haven't made you feel more nervous about it. It really didn't hurt when mine was set up. And you lie on your front on the machine, with 2 holes for your boobs! 

Let us know how you get on.

Mary

Highlighted

So it goes in your hand. eugh my worse place. hurts putting needle into vein in hand. im such a wimp but makes me feel sick. god help me for further treatment!x
Highlighted

Hi

When I had mine done they put the dye in half way through. The dye shows up in the scan so helps them see whats what.

When I had my mri they set up the entry for the line on the back of my hand before I went into the scan room. Once I was settled on the machine they attached the line so that they could add the dye easily. You lie with your arms by your sides. Tbh I didn't notice the dye going in. I was upset at the end more because of what the results might be.

It is strange lying there and the noise it not particularly pleasant but it doesn't take too long. One of the things I worried about was that my nose got a bit runny whie I was in there and I was afraid I would dribble on their very expensive mri scanner!

I hope it all goes ok.

Mary

Highlighted

It was a wee tube thing and the dye went in while i was in machine. Doesnt hurt. Honestly it was just uncomfortable on my ribs lying there. Mine lasted almost an hour as new machine.

L x
Highlighted

Omg im going for my mri at 2.30 today!! They didnt mention needles or any dyes. said about 30 mins in it. was needle left in arm or just like a quick injection?x
Highlighted

Dilly I took my sister. She sat outside though but as I was a bit wobbly after, it was good to have someone there.

I knew I should have got one of them 'husband' things at some stage. Putting the bin out, killing spiders and a shoulder to lean on through this... Would have been handy.

I'm cracking jokes....this is a good sign.

L x
Highlighted

You are not a wimp, I cried when I got out too! I had waited a month for the mri and it was all too much after having lain still all the way through it. It's not surprising at all. Good luck for the results.

Mary

Highlighted

Sorry to hear it was so horrible for you... Hope you are feeling a little better today x

I have that to look forward to then 😉 Would you recommend that i take someone along ... was just planning to go by myself xx

Highlighted

Bella

I am with you re MRI I had one 2 years ago and cried when I got outI It was awful!! BUT that was the worst test that I had to go through bone scan was nowhere near as bad!!

You are not a wimp ( or if you are I am too lol) 

Good luck with rest of your treatment

Jill

Highlighted

I had my preop and bone scan yday- hadn't thought much about them. 

Nothing very taxing, just had to spend most of day in hospital  having blood tests, x-rays, answering medical questions etc.

And yet...the lying down for half an hour silent and still whilst the camera moved slowly over me forming

a picture of my skeleton brought me to a fullstop.  When I got home I felt so flat and didn't want to

see anyone.  I'd been so calm the day before and whilst at hospital and couldn't understand why I suddenly felt spent and down.

I have since come around again and am gettng back on track; but I think when we just have to be 'normal'

people out in the world it must be taking a huge amount of our energy.  Add to that 'easy'' things like MRI and bone scans which seem like small fry in the scheme of things and it's enough to send us spinning sometimes.

Take care, how you feel is like so many people must have felt/ be feeling.  Be gentle with yourself.

You don't have to be anything.  We are strong, but will feel vulnerable many times I am sure.   And I think that we have to be accepting of that.  Even warriors have to rest...

P xxxxxx

Highlighted

MRI freaked me out ..

MRI done. I didnt realise I was having blue dye put into me. Nearly passed out. God knows how I am going to cope with treatment if I react like this to a needle in my arm. Took almost an hour in machine. My ribs took the brunt of my body weight and by the end I could hardly breathe!! I'm not massive either a size 16.

Feeling very sick right now. Thought the MRI would be a breeze and am now feeling like a total wimp.

😞