MRI scan after reconstruction

Hi, A quick query as to whether anyone has had problems getting an MRI scan after having had reconstruction?
The background to this is: I was first diagnosed in 2004 with BC and underwent a mastectomy, chemo, rads and then Zoladex. Last year I had another mastectomy (to remove the other breast as a preventative measure) and had bi-lateral recon using LD and implants. I had ‘adjustable’ implants fitted and the metal ports remain in place (under my rib cage). I have recently been having some symptoms (headaches and bone pain) so my oncologist has ordered a bone scan and an MRI scan. The hospital have queried whether I am now able to have an MRI because these metal ports remain in place. Apparently if you have metal in your body, you can’t have an MRI. I have asked my BC nurse whether this is the case but I’m waiting for her to get back to me. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I can’t believe that my surgeon would have used implants that effectively rule out my being able to have an MRI scan?!?
I’m also slightly worried that if I can’t have an MRI, they might miss something…
This is the first time I have ever posted on the forum. Although, I have dipped in and out over the years and have found it a valuable source of advice.
Thanks,
Vikki

Hello Oleander123

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums useful.

Whilst waiting for replies you may want to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Vikki,I had metal ports on my expanders so they refused me an MRI and did a ct scan instead,after the expanders were removed I then had MRI scan,good luck,
Di.x

Hi Vikki. I am waiting for my appointment for a MRI scan as they want clarification from my bone scan and ct scan (hopefully no spread). They asked if I had any metal in my body metal plates as I had an accident some years ago. I haven’t but they had to ask because it might make it difficult to have the scan. She didn’t say they couldn’t do it just that she would have to let them know.So im not sure I have been much help but I would ask them the reasons why you can’t have the scan.Hope this helps a little.
Angela xx

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I spoke to my BC nurse today and she said that depending upon the type of implant used and whether it has a particular type of port then you can’t have an MRI scan. But the good news is that my implants/ ports are MRI safe. So I can go ahead next week and get the MRI done. I had my bone scan today as well so just a matter of waiting for the results…
Vikki