MRI scan before biopsy results

I am living abroad and have been for a mamogram I was called back to have further tests, an ultrasound of my breast and lymph gland. I have been told there is one small lump in my right breast and had several biopsies taken. The results will not be ready for 15 days. However they have also asked that I go for an MRI scan. I find this very worrying as if they don’t have any results why do an expensive MRI scan. I do not speak the language well so it is difficult. I just wondered if anyone has had things do e this way. It is only day 2 and I can’t sleep or eat and am terrified of going for MRI.

Hello Gkh

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  I am sure you will get lots of help from this forum and if you can perhaps ring the number in the UK for some support, bearing in mind it is Easter.  I am not sure when the phones are manned but just in case it is relevant I should mention there is a Bank Holiday here on Monday.

I have learned that MRI scans can be very helpful for lots of reasons but one is if you have dense breast tissue they are a really good as they show much more detail. I was once told by a doctor at a UK breast clinic if I was really concerned about anything she would try to push for an MRI for me as I have dense breasts. Bear in mind also that in some countries there is sometimes a tendency to use MRIs more routinely.  I wonder if that is the case where you live?  We lived in Spain and under private health had an MRI for migraines, I had never been offered one in the UK for my headaches.

I am sure the person performing the scan will completely understand your nerves, it is very common to be nervous.  Perhaps you can try to find out how to say this in the local language.  Even if they just say the odd word of reassurance as the scan happens it will help.  It is good they are being thorough. 

Hi Gkh

Sorry to hear of your concerns, as suggested you are welcome to phone our helpline, the staff are here to support you.  Here’s the number, but do bear in mind the time difference from between where you are living and the UK.  Lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.  (+44) 20 7620 0077

Also over the Easter period the helpline will be closed until Tuesday 22nd April.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Gkh.

I don’t know what country you are in but I lived in Turkey for years and found tests were done that wouldn’t be done here.  I think because we were paying for them.

An MRI will be useful to give a clearer picture but you could ask to wait until after your biopsy results are through.  

It’s not easy when you don’t understand everything that’s being said. My GP spoke great english and after my apointments she phoned the doctor and I visited her to discuss it all. 

I had to have a hysterectomy but the doctor insisted I have a mammogram!

we’re all here to help you.

take care.

Keeks