MRI

Hi
I had a lumpectomy in Nov 2010 and radiotherapy for invasive BC. This was picked up by MRI ( which was actually done to investigate micro calcs on other breast and coincidentally picked up IBC on other side)The ICB wasn’t evident on the mammogram.
I then had a lumpectomy in October 2011 on other breast for DCIS - (aggressive) and radiotherpay again. I’m 'banging on ’ every time I have a hosp. appointmentand feel very strongly that I would like regular MRI as well as Mammograms given my history. The Oncologist agreed but now, having seen another Oncologist, he’s saying that it might not be the most appropriate screening for me. Because the first invasive cancer didn’t show up on the mammogram but only on the MRI, I feel that I would benefit from both or my anxiety levels and ‘wondering if all is well’ will shoot throught the roof! I’m 48. I know that cost is an issue but this is my life and my sanity!
Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you

I had a similar experience in that my tumour was not picked up on mammogram due to my ‘dense breasts’ my tumour was 9cm! so i was worried in case it occured in my other breast and whilst I am having yearly mamograms it might not be picked up. I have met with the senior radiologist and also my consultant who both said that MRI scan was possible and I could have that if I wanted to - it is costly but they accepted that it may ‘ease my mind’. However they also went on to say that MRI is a very sensative scan and will pick up absolutely anything and what it will mean is that I will be called back and have biopsies and basically mean I will be ‘overtreated’ they felt that the downside to having regular MRI’s is not worth it. What I was advised to do was to keep having the yearly mammos and keep a very close eye on my breast and any sign of changes, lumps or anything different let them know - they can then do a Ultra scan which whilst is not a screening tool - can find anything wrong if there is something specific to screen. Its been two years for me now and whilst I do worry that I will get a reoccurance I really think they are right and that the additional stresses of having MRI scans and waiting for results, more tests and more results is not productive to my trying to get on with my life. I do not think it is a cost issue (in my PCT anyhow) hope that helps x

Ihave just had a private MRI done and shopped around as the price does vary massively - but for me, for piece of mind it was more than worth it. I had a WLE last year and my cancer was picked up by mamogram however i have been left with an awful lot of lumpy scar tissue. The radiologist hinted that an MRI would be good as would give a clear picture of the scar tissue however breast surgeon would not hear of it - so i had one done 2 weeks ago, got the results the next day and all is fine xx

i have this concern also because of denser breasts, only 39. waiting to hear views of radiographer having raised it with consultant.

beardie may i ask how much it cost paying for this private (could you pm me if you dont mind). i have said that i am prepared to pay if necessary. they have said if it was felt necessary they would do it and cost isnt factor, but it must be to some degree i feel.

TTM xxx

Thank you for your advice and comments. It helps!