MX and immediate LD flap reconstruction with implant op update

Ihad this procedure on friday! I was in theatre for 9 hours and my consultant is pleased and says everything is gooD. I have had the catheter removed so now hobbling to and from the bathroom with my 3 drains. One due to come out later today. I Am in pain discomfort but the painkillers do kick in, but everything is sUch an effort. My cannula caused problems yesterday following an IV antibiotic, my hand was so painful and swelled and still looks like an elephants foot. Well today is day 3 and another day. Big hugs to everyone currently awaiting diagnosis or receiving treatment. Xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Cheryl17, I’ve tried to reply to your post several times, but without success. So pleased that your operation is over and done with. Please God you have had good results from your op. Hope you’re not in too much discomfort. I have posted you before and been following your progress. My main concern with the operation has been the back muscle which has been very tight. I am now into my 5th month and have asked BCN and GP if I could have some physio to help losen the tightness. Both have agreed and hope this will eventually be beneficial. GP has prescribed creams as a temp. measure. BCN advised medication, but after looking on internet, side effects were to eleviate depression and sleeplessness, of which I have neither. So have decided not to accept this. Anyway, hope you are well and tucked up warm at home and making slow progress, which it will be for a while, but just be kind to yourself and you must consider you before anybody else. You will come through it I’m sure. Big hugs and hoping you’re pleased with your new boob!

Kathy xxxxxx

Hi Cheryl,
I had this op in July, and am now going through the implant filling stage. I had to wait because I have had radiotherapy previously, 5 years ago. The stretching has got to be done quite slowly too, so I will not be having my permanent implant in until March or April.
I hope by now you are feeling much more comfortable, are your drains out yet? It’s always a great relief to get rid of those!
Wishing you all the best,
Jojox

Hi Cheryl,
I had this op in July, and am now going through the implant filling stage. I had to wait because I have had radiotherapy previously, 5 years ago. The stretching has got to be done quite slowly too, so I will not be having my permanent implant in until March or April.
I hope by now you are feeling much more comfortable, are your drains out yet? It’s always a great relief to get rid of those!
Wishing you all the best,
Jojox

Hi Cheryl
I had masc with LD flap on my right breast in Aug 2010 and then on my left breast 10 weeks ago, so I know how you feel. It realy does take time to recover so take plently of pain releive to keep you feeling comfortable. It will be worth it in the end. I found trying to get comfortable at night my biggest problem and still do.

Thank you for your replies and encouragement. My drains were taken out by day 6 which is when I returned home. Now day 10 and all seems to be ok. The pain is under control with regular painkillers.
I agree Bellakate sleeping and being comfortable is still a problem at night, hope this is getting easier for you now.
Jo jo I hope your implant filling continues to go well.
Kathy i know what you mean with the back tightness, I was hoping this would ease wheN my dressing is removed.
I have noticed mega sensitivity in my back and I jump a mile if anyone other than me touches it. Anyone experience the same? That should b e fun on Tuesday when I visit the consultant for wound checks and pathology reports. He will think I have turned into the mad women, but hopefully will have come across this before. Today I have noticed a painful lump about 1 inch just below my bra line underneath the reconstructed breast…again any ideas what this may be.
Does anyone know when I cam start to use deodrant. Now day 10 and desperate not to smell lol
Well onwards to Tuesday and praying for clear pathology results so that I can really start concentrating on the rad to recovery and stop worrying. Does this ever happen?
Thank you for reading, listening and taking The time to reply. Once again big hugs to everyone no matter which part of the journey you are currently at.

Visited the consultant this evening and the pathology reports were all clear so no further treatment plan in place. He did say that the DCIS had extended to 9 cm not the original 5cm that the mammogram had shown and it had also extended behind the nipple, so I am pleased that I took his advice and went for the MX with immediate reconstruction. Good news prayers being sent to everyone awaiting results and a treatment plan. Xxxxxxx

Hello lovely!
thanks for your updates - funny how this site works… sometimes you can find people and sometimes you can’t lol!
Take care of YOU - spoil yourself and let others spoil you!
Sending superpositive hugs and vibes to you. Great news re clear path reports. Wahoo!! :slight_smile:
Lozza xxx

Thank you Lozza I see we are both burning the midnight oil. Before all this cancer talk I used to sleep 8 hours a night, being awake in the small hours just didn’t happen! Night times now I just find it really difficult to get comfy must be something to do with the 5 pillows and V pillow LOL. hoping the POM symptoms are easing I know exactly what you mean …lookafter yourself and keep smiling. Sleep fairy dust flying it’s way to you. Xxxxxxxxxx

Haha - sprinkling some fairysleep dust back at ya!!
we’ll get there! You’re so nearly there! Light at the end of the tunnel… Might seem a way away at mo… but it’s there!! :wink:
If POMS returns to the extent it did then I’ll be taking myself off to GP! A little bit of POMS is ok from time to time but not ALL the time so that you feel consumed by it!!
Husband is currently snoring like a pig!! I fear that I may need to reposition one of my V pillows so that the fairy dust you’ve kindly sent has a chance to work!!! Unless the greedy sod has inhaled it as it was passing over… nope s’okay … he’s not taken it all!!! Phew!! *breathes a sigh of relief!*
night night!
Lozza xxxxx

hello, im new here. im meeting w a reconstruction surgeron this coming monday.im having my mastectomy in feb.2013 and have no idea what to expect. im nervous but it has to been done. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Cheryl17

That’s great news for you really pleased hopefully just got this surgery to recover from then it is onwards and upwards . The light is shinning.

I know you will still worry but that side does get better and no doubt for some time it will be right in front of your face but a few months down the line you will just think to yourself one day - well actually I haven’t thought about that all day and gradually things will seem an awful lot better. I am not saying you will ever forget this terrible experience but you will learn to push it to the back of your mind honest and get your life back on track

Sending love

Wendy x x

Thank you Wendy yes I do emotionally feel better already hopefully the number of good days will start toovertake the number of bad days. Keep your chin up, you will get through all of this I know you have had bc before, Buthopefully with later day medicines the SE will be easier etc., I have chatted to some amazing people on this forum who have helped me come to terms with BC and kept e sane especially through the dark hours and i do intend to keep chatting. Big hugs sending itS way to you xxxxxxxxxxx
Welcome Byrd, sorry you have had to join us, but the ladies and gentleman on this forum are amazing and willget you through this. Are you having an immediate reconstruction at the same time as your MX? Having just had a MX and LDBack flap recon 13 days ago feel free to ask Me any questions. You can also private message me if you wish. Waiting and the unknown is the hardest. Big hugs to you. Xxxxxx