74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX and immediate reconstruction. LD or implants?

19 REPLIES 19

Re: MX and immediate reconstruction. LD or implants?

Thank you Lou bee. Sorry to hear about your accident that is all you needed. Thank you for the information, the 11th is nowlooming very close so thenerves have started to kick in again! I am back to work teaching on Tuesday and Wednesday so that should help. Keep well and thank you for your good wishes. Xxxx

Hi Cheryl, I had a mastectomy with immediate LD recon in October. I had an accident a few years ago that has affected my mobility in 1 leg and I now use crutches or a walking stick. This is on the same side as my mastectomy & reconstruction. I am able to get up from E.G. sitting on a beanbag, but I do tend to put the weight through my good leg and use the muscles in my shoulder on my good side, just using the arm & shoulder on my operated on side to steady myself & get my balance.
I have been driving for about 6 weeks now and am getting about well: I'm going back to work on Monday! all is fine until I have to go up or down a hill, which requires me putting weight through my shoulder to assist my mobility, I still tend to do this very gently and carefully. Apart from that, I'm fine and am very pleased with the results. After the changes to my mobility and my own image of myself after the accident, it was something of a relief to wake up after the operation with some semblance of normal me. My Dr and the nurses were keen to keep the Flotron boots for circulation on for a few days after the operation.
Hope all goes well for you, best wishes.

Hi Cheryl,I had double MX with LD flap and implants in Aug 2011,and just over a year later the right side,which I had rads on is weaker than the left side but I have quite a lot of numbness across most of my upper back but apart from that and some tightness upon exertion,everything is fine.The left side which didn't have rads is much,much better than the right.Good luck with your op in Jan,
Di.x

Thank you Bertie, Good to know you are still making good progress. I have decided to go with the LD flap, having the op on January 11th, If I think of anythingelse I will comeback to you if that is ok. Cheryl xxxxx

Had MX and LD Recon 6 weeks ago and doing ok. Was in hospital for a week. Post op, the skin flap was checked every 15 mins for 24 hours which is knackering, but you do just go with it. Had 2 drains, one in back one in front which were a nusiance but not too bad - one taken out after 4 days, the other after 6. Had catheter which was fine and convenient and was taken out after 48 hours when I started to move about a bit and get out of bed. Reacted badly to morphine and to all the dressings which was my bad luck, but is not the norm apparently. HAd a few wobbles, but really glad I had it done. Back feels weird and still pretty numb, but I am getting out and about ok. Not able to carry anything heavy, but a handbag is ok. My back muscle was huge (must be all the swimming) so haven't had implants and it is unlikely I will need fat fillers. I did not want implants incase they failed and i needed more surgery, but it is personal choice. Anything you want to ask, please do. Can't promise I will have any answers, only opinions but good luck with whatever you decide.

Jan, Wow, both sides, you are so brave here is me feeling really worried with just the one! Thank you for sharing, all knowledge and information is good at this point. I am not having the op until early Jan, butneed to tell the consultant tomorrow, my delay in deciding has already pushed back my op by one week! I think it will Be the LD flap. Glad to hear you have made good recovery. Xx

Hi there,
I had one (catheter) when I had the double reconstruction (2nd mx too) in September. It is such a long operation that I think it is necessary. Not so sure with having just one side done though. I haven't contributed to this thread because of the fact that a) I had delayed double reconstruction using the LD method on both sides plus implants so it's a bit of a different scenario and b) I am not at all sporty so can't really tell you if I notice the difference in arm strength. I get a little back ache when playing the piano for any length of time but that is all. I have also had rads on one side which makes the outcome less predictable. All is fine though and, after a very rough couple of weeks, I am now really pleased that I had it done. Good luck tomorrow.
Jan
x

One last quick question ..do you have a urinary catheter inserted with the MX and LD implant operation , some websites tend to infer that you do anothers don't mention it. I know it isfairly standard with the DIEP surgery. Thanx decision nearly made.
Guest user
Not applicable

I am due to have my diep surgery on wed at the royal free,this is the third date ive been given, and the third surgeon im getting very scared, it could be cancelled again,has any one else been through this,its like living on a knife edge

Hi Cheryl

I had mx and immediate LD flap + implant recon nearly two years ago.

I'me very active - horseriding and gardening, etc and I have to take more care because of the risk of Lymphoedema rather than any restriction because of the LD flap.

If you are into rock climbing, competitive rowing or skiing moghuls, it might not be the op for you. Otherwise, the recovery is not quick, but I have no real problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dx

Thank you roadrunner and everyone that has responded. I am still undecided but I am swaying towards the LDBackflap. I have promised my consultant a decision on Monday. Does any one els have any addional experiences they wish to share. LD or implants?

HI Cheryl
I have no problems at all with getting in out of bath - do it exactly same was as I used to.
It's had very little impact on my physical peformance.
I have always been very flexible and still am post op, I can still do all the stretches I used to do pre op.
There are so many variables that you have to consider before an op like this, I can see why you're concerned.
I have no regrets at all about my op.
If you want more info feel free to pm me.

Jude

x

Hi Cheryl,
I had a delayed LD flap with implant (no fat on me to use) in 2010, three years after the mx in 2007. I would say that the only issues I have with my arm are down to the mx and the danger of lymphoedema, and not to do with the LD recon. I swim regularly, and have no problems with that. My arm felt weak for a long time after the mx (I am talking two or three years here, not months) but after the recon I was fine within a few months. I have never been aware of any weakness from the lack of the LD muscle in my back. I always look after my arm, and try not to strain it in any way, but as I have said that is due to the mx and not the recon

Thank you Scone and Amys mum, I thought I was decided on the LD but I am really terrified that it will effect the basic activities of life. Scone, this may sound like a silly question but can you exit the bath without kneeling or using your knees? I Had a really bad sleepless night worrying about the ramifications.....must get a grip. AmsMum did you have the expenders in first? Thank you foR your support.

Thanks Cheryl, all being well, be home Friday. Surgeon said normally 2 days. So fingers crossed. Be glad when tomorrow over.Hope you are okay and feeling better now you know your nodes are ok. xxx

Good luck for tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Have they indicated how long you will e in hospital for. Xxxxxx

Hi cheryl I'm having the strattice mesh tomorrow so I'll let u know xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cheryl
I had mx last October too, with immediate recon with Strattice mesh and implant. I didn't have alot of spare flesh on my back or stomach, so this seemed like a good option. Cosmetically it looks good and apart from the scar and lack of nipple it is a good match for the other side. Once I have clothes on, no-one would guess I had a mx, even with a tight top on.
I do favour that arm, but I think that the ongoing stiffness is more down to the lymph nodes than the recon. When I saw the lymphodeama physio (a standard post-op appt here) she did advice another lady to use her other arm for dog-walking,
Swimming did feel odd for quite a while. I found it best to use a woggle as the muscle felt more normal that way (the chest muscle is on the outside of the implant so does react differently), but when we went swimming at the end of October, I found swimming without an aid was just fine once again. Saying that, I have never been a striong swimmer and our swimming trips are accompanying a 6 year-old, so the actual swimming I do is limited. A lady I met at the hospital had a bilateral mx with strattice mesh recon and swims regularly and says that she has round it great.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sue

Hi Cheryl

I had LD recon last October (without implant). Operation went very well and it was the right one for me.
I'm same age as you, and like you very active working out 4-5 times per week.
i still do this, go to exercise classes about 3 times, walk and cycle (cycling not been affected by lack of back muscle). Have done a bit of swimming but not enough to say if there is a difference pre or post op - lack of swimming down to body consciousness not that I don't feel capable.
I used to do resistance training but gave that up after mx as I was so scared of getting lymphodema with using weights.
The only think I assume I couldn't do but not tried is swinging on monkey bars!!
Post opl I've had a fat filler procedure and awaiting another one as the muscle itself isn't enough to 'fill the area'.
Good Luck with your decision ;

Jude.

MX and immediate reconstruction. LD or implants?

I am having a MX and immediate reconstruction early in the New Year, my dilema is which type implants or LD. I am swaying towards a LD but would like some honest advise from you if you have any experience of this procedure. I am nearly 52 years of age and fairly active. I visit the gym 2-3 times a week and walk with my collie dogs atleast 1 mile everyday with longer walks at the weekend. My problem is I have two knee replacements, as i cannot kneel I use my upper body arm strength a lot for basic everyday activities such as using my arms to lift out of a low chair, getting out of the bath etc., With a LD procedure are all these things still possible. Any advise and knowledge both short-term, mid-term and long term wold be so appreciated.