MX with immediate reconstruction, chemo, radiotherapy and letrozole - anyone having all 4!!!

Hi all.  I am 3 weeks post Op left breast MX, node clearance, immediate reconstruciton with implant/Strattice mesh.  I am doing well post op.  Just been for my Onc appointment for the plan ahead. Two lumps 13mm and 15mm, 5 nodes out of 15 affected.  Totally shocked to now find I have to have Rads as well.  This has never been mentioned to me before, thats why I had immediate reconstruction.  Onc consultant came in and swiftly mentioned spots on liver.  TOTAL SHOCK as had been told all scans clear.  He then tried to backtrack saying they were NOT cancer, just cysts, which anyone could have and not know about it, just that they show up on scans…they were not worried about them at all and there was not treatment necessary.  Phew, foot/mouth springs to mind.  As I said my Surgery Consultant never even mentioned that, nor the nurses etc… so mind sort of alleviated, apart from a break down in bed last night.

Upshot is, lymph nodes high in breast affected, so they are concerened that the ones up to the shoulder/neck area.  They cant take them out through breast surgery, so have decided to zap them with Radiotherapy = 5 days a week X 5 weeks - 50 mile round trip to hospital - nightmare.  Expressed my concerns to nurse and her answer - well you dont have to have of it if you dont want!!! Arent they supposed to encourage you to go through with the treatment.  Is it worth it? What better chance will it give me? Will my new implant now be affected by the Rads - can make it tighter, higher up etc, already high up enough lol. Will I have to have it replaced? can they replace it?questions, questions.  I always understood that they would not do an implant if you were going to have rads, had I known I might not have bothered, and had a quicker recovery time.  The thought of going through it all again some time in the future is doing my head in to be blunt.  I am trying to now just concentrate on my chemo treatment which should start in the next coupe of weeks FEC-T - will think about the rads later and whether to have it or not - if my brain is even working by then lol

So I am asking, anyone out there have a similar experience to me, anyone who has had all four treatments.  Any help and support would be appreciated - Thanks - Val

Hello Newey47

Whilst waiting for replies you might find it helpful to call our Helpline to talk things over.  They’ll be able to offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Val, as I say chemo was no where near as horrible as I thought it would be. I was neutropinic 3 times but felt absolutely fine, hospital drove me crazy. They gave me GCSF injections for the final 3 chemo sessions which helped with the blood count and kept me out of hospital. If need any help with anything or need to sound off you’re welcome to drop me a private message.

Take care, Tracy XXX