Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnifying Mammograms

1 REPLY 1
Jo_BCC

Re: Magnifying Mammograms

Hi LSM72

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully now someone will see your post and reply.  In the meantime if you would like to give the helpline team a ring here, they will be only too happy to talk you through anything you wish to discuss.  Calls to the helpline are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

LSM72

Magnifying Mammograms

Hi all, had my one stop breast clinic appointment yesterday. A group of us all had mammogram then sent through for ultrasound. I had waited about 30 mins and was next in line when original radiographer from mammogram came through and said I'd to go back for extra magnifying/compression mammograms. She was blunt and said it was because of what had shown in the first ones and they needed magnified views. Spirits immediately sank, thought the worst. I'd found the original ones totally doable - uncomfy but short time and had joked I'd dreaded them being painful and they weren't. Did additional 2 views - first one painful, second one so excruciating I told her I was going to faint (and did). I don't know if it was because it was on so long, had 3 extra plates weight for magnifying or there was a problem with dust she said so it wouldn't take but I was trapped in it all the time she was trying to clean it. I ended up in a heap over the machine before she would release me. Today I'm all burst blood vessels (I think), plus holes from all the biopsies - done on both. Pain like hot poker going through the breast that was magnified as well. I'm hoping this doesn't last long as it seared through me if I tried to move arms or stretch all day. Also worried as higher radiation levels. Mad at myself for not being stronger at the time and asking more (well I did but didn't get the answers I was looking for). I asked why I couldn't get the u/s to look in more details and told I wouldn't get it unless I had these extra mammograms first, so I had to agree. Ultrasound very clearly showed the dreaded big black circles so even more confused by the extra mammogram now. Was plucking up courage to ask when radiographer suddenly asked of I had anyone with me for support!!!! Mind went to very dark places. Because of the strike on, this was the senior radiographer and dr who rarely did the u/s any more and did the biopsies and offered extractions? Evacuations? To remove two lumps on spot which I took and was grateful for. No anesthetic, so I'm not a pain wimp honestly. Does anyone have any similar experiences with these magnifying mammograms and/or how long the pain lasts.