Mammogram Recall after first mammogram

I just wanted to share my recent experience with you in the event that it might help someone else.  I received a mammogram appointment as part of the extended trial (outside the normal age group) - I’ve recently turned 49.  I attended the mobile unit at the local hospital and although a little anxious, I went along and “went with the flow.”  The nurse was absolutely lovely and professional.  My mammogram was done and although a little uncomfortable, it was over in no time at all.  A week later I received a Recall letter with an appointment for the following Wednesday. I was due to be overseas to rang the hospital and postponed to the following Monday.   I thought I would be able to manage any anxiety and “park it” however that was absolutely not the case.  Over the 10 day period I had a few sleepless nights, imagining all sorts of “what if’s.”   I went back for my appointment with my step daughter who is about to qualify as a nurse and was eager to come along.   The nurse called me in and briefly explained that they had seen something on both my breasts that they wanted to have a closer look at due to the fact that they had nothing to compare to as it had been my first mammo.  She was very professional and so I had the 3D mammogram which looks at your breasts from lots of different angles.  She then said I may need further tests or may not but that an Ultra sound was the next part of the process.  I was taken to another room where another lovely nurse made me comfortable.  The Consultant came in and then explained why I’d been called back, reiterating the above but that having seen the more indepth mammogram, things looked ok and it was the way in which my breasts were formed.   She then examined my breasts fully, feeling for lumps etc and then explained she had felt nothing untoward.  I then went onto have the ultrasound on each breast.  This felt like it took forever as they magnify a very small area at a time, perhaps 1cm to look closely at the tissue etc - after each scan she said everything looked ok.   She then asked me to dress and said I was “good to go” as all was ok and I would just be called in 3 years time and I had nothing to concern myself about.  I cannot explain the relief I felt as in my mind I had been rearranging my diary for the next few months…I was very conscious when leaving the clinic that there were other ladies in the waiting room who were not receiving such positive news and were undergoing further treatment.   I have to say that although the last 3 weeks has been very worrying, I couldn’t fault they way in which I was treated by all of the people I came into contact with.  Even when giving me a message with no outcome to share at each stage, they were truly professional and caring.   The nurse also told me that quite  a number of women do not show up for initial screening appointments and recalls - I’d urge anyone in that position to take a deep breath and just do it as it can save your life.  I’m one of the lucky ones (for now). I hope this helps someone else who might be in the same shoes as I have just been in.

Hi there

thank you for posting, really thoughtful and interesting.  I think the 3D scan you are referring to is the Tomothesis scan which I believe is the new kid on the block.  I only mention it as it has been a fascination for me as to what the radiographers have to hand to come up with their diagnosis.

So pleased for your good outcome and proving that most re-calls are for benign reasons.  Xx

Thank you for posting this I have been recalled off one of these trials and have further tests this week. It definitely worries you not knowing what to expect.