Mammogram Recall

Hi everyone,

So my mum who is 62 (nearly 63) went for her 2 yearly mammogram earlier this month. Just on a week later she has received a letter saying that she has to go back for further testing in a fortnight (only a week away now). All they told her when she rang to make her appointment was that this mammogram was different to her last mammogram. She hasn’t felt a lump or anything and hasn’t had any other symptoms or pain and this is her first recall after getting mammograms very 2 years since she was 50. She had the mammogram at the BreastScreen clinic at the hospital. I’m extremely worried for her as I’m very close to her and understand that she is getting older now and have a large fear of something happening to her and coping without her. She isn’t too worried about going for her diagnostic mammogram and other tests at this stage, saying she will only be worried if they find something. I wish I had her attitude! We don’t have a family history of breast cancer (she has 7 sisters), and from looking at other risk factors, she is a bit over weight, she finished menopause at age 56. She has had 2 children, though she was 35 when she had her first child and she breastfed her children for about 2 months each. She seems pretty healthy though other than high blood pressure which is controlled though medication and fairly bad arthritis in certain joints.
Seeing as we still have another week to wait, just hoping there are other people who can share stories of mammogram recalls or pieces of advice that can calm me down.

Hi Sleepingbreaty23, 

I am sorry you and your mum are going through this difficult and anxious time. 

You may want to post in our Mammogram Recall thread which you can findhere. This thread is already very supportive and I am sure the users here can help provide you with some information. 

In the meantime if you would like to talk you can always call our support line at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about mammogram recalls and offer a friendly ear. 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Hi sleeping beauty ,it’s a horrible anxious time waiting for further tests or results .Your Mum has a good attitude ,no pint in working til you have something to worry about!!Ok,so if it is cancer dont panic ,the vast majority of women diagnosed with breast cancer are successfully treated these days.Your Mum has lots of things in her favour if it is,her age(older women tend to have less aggressive cancers),it has been detected by mammogram rather than her feeling a lump (likely therefore to be small and early stage) and nothing showed on last mamogram so it is likely to have not been developing for too long .I had cancer diagnosed last year via my routine mamogram (couldn’t feel anything) ,had lump removed and 3 weeks radiotherapy and I am fine.Hopefully your Mum will have something less scary ,Im pretty sure I read that the majority of recalls turn out to be nothing sinister.Good luck,try and keep your panic away from your Mum if you can and talk to others close to you .Jill