Mammogram after Ultrasound?

Hi
i found a lump and was referred for an ultrasound (as i’m 28), which i went for today. I was then sent for a mammogram straight afterwards (which seems to be unusual?) It has made me feel the worst. I also had the FNA (which the result was benign) and the core biopsy, the results i have to wait over a week for.
i was told my ultrasound and mammogram looked ‘worrying’ but as the FNA was benign they need to wait for the core biopsy results.
The fact that i had a mammogram afterwards is really worrying me, has anyone else experienced this? the way the doctor was talking to me felt as if she already knew the diagnosis from the ultrasound/mammogram

thanks

Hi franjoe and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will soon have here, it may help to call our helpliners to talk your concerns over with one of our team, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

You may find the BCC ‘Worried’ information page useful too and you can read it via this link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm\_source=promo\_content&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=worried

Take care

Lucy

Hi fran
I am sorry you were having to go through all these investigations, and I can understand it is worrying you.
Having a mammogram after an ultrasound is not unusual though. Both give a picture so what is inside your breast, but at different levels. I have had both too. Although I am older than you I was given an ultrasound first as my breast was too tender to be squeezed in the mammogram, but then they decided while I was in the waiting room after the ultrasound that I needed a mammogram too. I questioned this, as I thought the ultrasound would give more information anyway, but they said the mammogram gives a different view of what is inside, which is what they wanted.
I hope your lump turns out to be benign. Waiting for test results is very hard. It may help you phoning desk bcc help desk, or Macmillan. They are fantastic, both with providing a listening ear and information that may help.
Warmest wishes,
christine

Hi Franjoe,
I believe that younger women have an ultrasound first because they are more reliable for ladies with dense breast tissue - which is what younger women have. Mammograms are less reliable for younger women as the dense breast tissue shows up the same colour as any lumps, making it difficult to see. Older women like me have much less dense breast tissue so we get the mammogram first, then the core biopsy guided by the mammogram machine, followed by the ultrasound. Was your biopsy guided by the mammogram machine? if so, that is most likely why you had one, although I don’t know for sure.
You can alwasys ring your breast care nurse (if you have been given one) or the care team as suggested above by Lucy.
Good luck. The waiting is the hardet part.

Thanks
but no the biopsy wasn’t mammogram guided

I was also wondering what to expect when i go in for my results? i’m quite angry with myself for not asking more questions after i had the tests (mainly what exactly they meant by saying my ultrasound and mammogram were ‘worrying’) i wasn’t really in the right frame of mind and wanted to get out ASAP. i just want to menatlly prepare myself in case it is bad news and make sure i ask ask any relevant questions.
thanks

Just had a phone call from the breast care nurse about my core biopsy results (i was due to get my results at the hospital Friday) which still gave it as benign (sigh of relief). They still think the lump looks cancerous on the ultrasound and mammogram so now i’m due to have a mammogram guided biopsy tomorrow to make sure.
i’m feeling quite relieved but it also means an extra week of waiting!!! Though as its my daughters first birthday this Thursday i’m glad, i was worried it may have been ruined by the impending results the next day. Mixed emotions!