Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mammogram and breast clinic appt

4 REPLIES 4
rachel1234

Re: Mammogram and breast clinic appt

Hello, 

I also have boobs which make milk despite my youngest child being 8 years old! I'm waiting to go in for a second set of tests having found a lump but yes definitely follow up with the breast clinic for the results of your mammogram. In our area it takes MONTHS for the results to go up on the GP system as it's outsourced but I called and spoke to the breast clinic last time and they were happy to reassure me everything was normal. I'm just hoping to get the same outcome this time 🙂 

Rachel

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Molly,
It would probably be best to check with your gp on this.
Although the anxiety is a pain, a 4 week gap for a non urgent referral is probably usual. I did have a early bc diagnosis last year & for the follow-up this year I did have a wait of several weeks to see the surgeon for the results.
From my understanding, the mammo has to be read by 2 radiologists, therefore it can take several weeks for it to be reported, so as you have the appointment, it probably doesn't make much difference to timescales.
Do go back to your gp if you are unduly anxious about it, of all the things it can be, bc is the least likely, but obviously, it does need to be checked out. The breast clinic deals with all breast conditions.
let us know how you get on
ann x

MollyMac

Hi Ann, thanks so much for your reply! I just wondered whether the hospital/ GP would get in touch sooner if a problem had been spotted on the mammogram. I understand that the NHS is under pressure, there's limited resources and they must prioritise, but the 4 and a half week wait between the mammogram and breast clinic appointment to find out results is fuelling my anxiety. X
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Molly
It sounds like as you were referred as 'non urgent,' then the referral would not go down the 2 week pathway route.
The mammogram has to be reported, which if non urgent, would most likely fall into the time frame you have been given.
It's good your gp has referred you & it will be sorted, the vast majority of breast changes are nothing serious.
ann x
MollyMac

Mammogram and breast clinic appt

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just looking for some advice! I'm 39 years old and there's no history of cancer of any type in my family. I saw my GP 5 weeks ago as I had some breast-related concerns. I stopped breast-feeding 11 months ago after feeding my youngest child for 2.5 years. I can still, however, express small amounts of milk from both breasts (this is never spontaneous). Also since I stopped feeding, my breasts look different. The GP explained that the appearance is most probably down to sagging and that milk can take up to 2 years to completely dry up. She ordered blood tests to check hormone levels, which were fine. On examination of my breasts, she said that there was lumpiness in both breasts in the upper, outer quadrants, but that this was more pronounced in the right breast. I do self-examinations regularly and hadn't notice any difference in how they felt (but was due to start my period that day and deliberately avoid doing self-exams at that time). She said that she couldn't feel anything suspicious, but to be on the safe side, would make a non-urgent referral to the breast clinic. She made it clear that it was very unlikely to be anything worrying. The following week I got a letter calling me for a mammogram 3 weeks later. I went for the mammogram last Thursday and on that very day, just before my appointment, I also received a letter through the post for an appointment at the breast clinic for 4 weeks later. I went for my mammogram and was told I'd be given the results at the breast clinic. Would they (hospital or own GP) get in touch before then though if there was something suspicious in my mammogram? I'm just a bit confused and anxious about the long wait for results. From chatting to others, I had assumed that the mammogram (if required) would be carried out during the breast clinic appointment. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. X