cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mammogram on reconstructed breast.

7 REPLIES 7
shell

Re: Mammogram on reconstructed breast.

I had a tram flap recon and I've never had a mammogram on this breast.

Hope I never have to have one on that side as like Ostrich I don't fancy having it done, ever.

Kelley

I had a Diep but have always had mammograms. Ostrich, I didn't have an implant but my reconstructed breast didn't hurt at all unlike the real one!

ostrich

I have wondered this too as you can get recurrances in the "new" breast skin and I guess there is no way of getting every last bit of breast tissue out (like cleaning out a grapefruit?) however the very thought of someone squishing my "new" boob (LD recon and implant in Sept) makes me feel sick. I dont think I could face it. I would be interested to hear what others' experiences are - whether they have had them, how it felt etc.

Bahons2

Hi

I first had bc in 1993 and had a right mastectomy. Had a tram flap recon in 1996. Surgeon said that with this technique there was no breast tissue left, and I've never had a mammogram on it - would whether you needed a mammogram depend on what sort of recon you had? I imagine that in my case, with a new breast composed entirely of skin, fat and muscle from my stomach, there would be no point.....and would a mammogram pick up anomalies in a recon breast as readily as in a normal one anyway?

Just a few thoughts....

S

lmlauder

I have been wondering this aswell. I suppose better safe than sorry. I mean you might get a floater from some where else. Im worried about timing I was reconstructed on Sept 18 due for mammo Dec 18, I see surgeon 1st so I suppose he will advise.

Kelley

I have always had mammograms in my reconstructed breast. Better safe than sorry as there may still be breast tissue there.

debbi

hiya,I was told by the breast nurses that you dont need mammograms on recons,i recently found a lump in mine(tram flap) and had an ultrasound on it.other people will prob know more than me on this as they do on everything else I comment about,your best thing is to ask breast nurse yourself.

regards debbi. x

chalee

Mammogram on reconstructed breast.

I heard recently of someone having a mammogram on her reconstructed side. Is this common? I thought there wasn't any breast tissue left to worry about after a mastectomy.