Mammogram recall

My eldest sister died of BC in 1977 and my youngest sister had to have a mastectomy in November 2007. That was when I had a mammogram only to find that I too had cancer. I had WLE and axillary clearance for a grade 3 20mm tumour a year ago [lymph nodes clear] and then had chemo and radiotherapy.
I supported my sister as much as I could during the year via frequent telephone calls and have written elsewhere about her slide into deep clinical depression. She has been in a psychiatric ward for 2 months, and as she is normally a bubbly optimistic person that has been very distressing.
As for me I have done my best to live a normal optimistic life - ably supported by my NOC [aka loving husband Number One Carer]. I play down my illness as much as I can for I know friends and relatives hate to think of us suffering. When anyone asks how I am - or even when I’m writing cards or letters - I always try to end on a positive note. Everyone does like to feel that there’s hope and that everything will turn out well!!
I got over pulmonary embolism just after chemo finished - and did wonder whether a Hickman line that sometimes blocked had anything to do with that! - and I’m now on Warfarin. I’m also on Arimidex and as a dexascan put me at the lower end of normal I’m taking calcium tablets and cod liver oil - self-prescribed!!! I hated cod liver oil during the war and still do, but I like to feel that it’s oiling my aching joints as well as providing vitamin A!
Unfortunately I’ve now been recalled for ultrasound and ? biopsy after having my first follow-up mammogram. My appointment’s on Monday so I’m keeping fingers crossed and filling my time writing to those of you who’ve been in the same boat and know how I feel. I can’t feel any lumps but the breast is often painful and slightly swollen because of the node clearance and I couldn’t stand too much sideways squeezing during the mammogram.
Anyway at least the arrival of a new car today will keep my mind occupied until Monday!!!
Love and good wishes to you all
feistysister

You have been through such a lot.I just wanted to wish you luck for Monday-I really hope there is a benign reason for the recall[as there so often is]and that you are able to get results without anymore waiting.All the best,Valxx

I was recalled after my first mammo post mastectomy because of a thickened area in my remaining breast. I went through turmoil for the week preceding my appointment.

The thickening turned out to be a large mole which I have always had on the"tail" part of my breast which extends into my underarm! I had an u/s just to make sure it was nothing untoward and breathed a huge sigh of relief!

My oncologist told me it’s very common to be recalled as they don’t want to take any chances.

I hope all goes well for you on Monday.

xxx

Thank you both for your kind thoughts. Even though we’re strangers it’s good to know you’re out there thinking about me. It does comfort. And the new car has provided good diversion therapy. I’m glad I’ve only got a few days to wait though. xxx

Hi val and justme
I managed to keep myself busy trying to work gadgets etc on the new car but I woke early this morning and made some bread - all diversion therapy.
Anyway the good news is that after 4 painful supersqueezed sideways mammograms I was given the all clear [for the moment - for who knows what the future holds!] As each xray kept being repeated I did think that there could be no well defined lump - and so it turned out. I didn’t need an ultrasound or biopsy and we are now having comfort food in the form of a cream doughnut!
It’s 6 months since raiotherapy finished and we all know that there is thickening and scarring and swelling at this time. In fact I discarded my bra to make sure any fluid that tends to collect because of the axillary clearance, had a chance to drain away before the xray.
Thankyou both for your support and best wishes for your continued recovery.xxxxx

Hi, just going through latest posts and can sympathise with all you have just been through and interested in what your team have told you. I was diagnosed last Jan and had a WLE and node clearance. I had my first mammo after finishing rads mid december and since the mammo boob has started to become swollen and uncomfortable. My mammo was clear so have not been through the anxiety of a recall like you but becoming worried so I asked for the onc to check it out. She said all ok after a quick feel round. Have your team told you how long it takes to all settle down and how bad is your swelling? Mine is just like it was after op

Thanks Lynda

Hello Lynda
Sorry to hear you’re bothered with more breast swelling since the mammogram. You were right to get it checked out. What I know is that the breast still has residual swelling/and or tenderness etc for 6 months or so after radiotherapy, so in your case it may not settle for another 2 or 3 months.
There’s no doubt axillary clearance brings its own problems and for me they were much worse than the WLE. I didn’t know whether to resent the fact that it was done only to find that all nodes were clear or to celebrate that they were clear. But I hate the loss of sensation and /or pain in and under the upper arm and in the outer part of the breast - you’ll know the discomfort.
Post-op I kept swelling to a minimum by binding around my chest with 2 wide crepe bandage as soon as the drain came out. I kept these on for 3 weeks or so and never had any seroma problems. I haven’t had excessive swelling as you had and now have. It’s been mainly in the outer part - and that’s where it has been tender. Things have certainly improved since Christmas.
You’ll need to ‘listen’ to your body and maybe wear a soft sports bra at night to prevent swelling. It can take time for the lymph to find new drainage pathways. You may also find that you get more swelling if you use your affected arm strenuously. Or you can leave your bra off for a while in the daytime to let excess fluid drain somewhere else by gravity - which did work for me just before the repeat mommograms. The main thing to know is that it does improve.
All the best Lynda xxxx

hi, just tried to post and either lost it or now repeating myself.

Thanks for coming back to me, its reassuring to talk to someone going through this. I am going to ring the breast nurse tomorrow to chat and hopefully put my mind at rest. Its surprising how quickly I can be so positive one minute and then the worring starts all over again. Have returned to work in January and just want to get back on with my life!

thanks again

xx

Well there have been some ups and downs since I last posted. My sister is now out of the psych ward and making progress. However we had another shock as a cousin 10 yrs younger than me who had been treated with Warfarin for DVT in her arm for 6mths, was admitted to hospital after a fall, and quickly moved to a surgical ward. It turned out she had advanced breast cancer with secondaries in her lungs and she died in May. Nobody knew she had BC.

As for me I found a lump the size of a pea last week fairly deep inside the quadrantectomy site, and have now firmly suggested that I need the ultrasound that wasn’t done 3 1/2 months ago. I will be seen on Monday. I am not expecting the lump to be anything other than a local recurrence - which will mean a mastectomy etc etc. I shall never know why the ultrsound was abandoned after 4 mammograms. Only an ultrasound and biopsy can exclude local recurrence and distinguish between calcification, old sutures etc - but I suppose I was so relieved to be given the all clear I didn’t press for details of alternative diagnosis - nor did anyone speculate. This time will be different!

Fiesty - wishing you so much luck and gutted for you but maybe it won’t be???

Fingers crossed and keep us posted.

Love

Jane x

hi again feisty-I did hope you wouldnt need to come back but there’s still a chance of it being benign.Oddly I too had a cousin 10yrs younger than me who died of advanced bc.I have another cousin on other side of family who is older than me and going strong 7 years down the line.
Love Valx

Thanks Jane and Horace for you good wishes. There’s a hopeful twist but I’ll wait until after Monday. xx feistysister

Hello Val and Jane
Well I shall be having an ultrasound for the small lump and maybe a biopsy.I did hint that there might be a hopeful twist - and that was because I couldn’t feel the lump after I was slammed in the breast by the swing sides on some new station ticket barriers last week. Then I was trapped, couldn’t move and had to be released by an attendant with a key. It was a shocking and painful experience. Strong letters are going out about all this.

Anyway the lump is still there put seems to have been hit off its perch - mobility is always a good sign with lumps. It could be a cyst -or - who knows! I’ll just wait until results come back after the ultrasound.

xxfeisty

hi Feisty

So hoping it went well for you and hoping you are out enjoying the sun worry free. Let us know soon!

love

jane x

Well I know you’ll want to share the result! The good news is that I couldn’t feel the lump for the past 2 days and an ultrasound was completely clear today. It was most likely a cyst that has gradually disintegrated. I had psyched myself up for the worst but it was such a relief to see a black ultrasound screen.
xxfeisty

Great news, really pleased for you,
Lizzie XX

Feisty -

i am thrilled for you. here’s to healthy boobs (boob)!

Love

Jane x